Sweet Lincoln

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I said goodbye to dear Lincoln (also known as Linky, Linky Bink, Binky Boy, Bink Bonks, The Blueberry Bush, Bushy Boy, and the Link Man).

In the past two months he’d been through an awful lot, from initially being diagnosed with kidney disease to finding out just over a week ago that he also had an aggressive oral tumor, and that this was really what was stopping him from eating. By the time I let him go yesterday, he could not open his mouth and the tumor was pressing on his windpipe and causing breathing difficulties. The vet said it seemed to be growing down his throat. He was still relatively comfortable, but we knew that a lot of suffering was coming.

Lincoln absolutely hated bring poked and prodded and given medication, and was a poor candidate for anaesthesia. He had not eaten or drunk in three days. I made the decision to spare him any more. His death was peaceful and the vet was incredibly compassionate with both of us. I wanted to be brave for him but I cried my heart out through the whole thing.

Lincoln’s last night and morning were spent snuggling with me and lying in the sun. My only regret about that time (which I keep replaying) is that I had a bad dream and jerked awake at one point in the night, and startled him from where he had curled up against me. He came back after a while, but I wish I hadn’t done that.

I think Lincoln was about 14-15. He showed up as a stray with his brother Luther to my aunt’s house about 13 years ago. She adopted him, and her neighbour adopted Luther.

Lincoln was filled with love. He used to like my aunt to carry him around like a baby. Once, about ten years ago, I was house-sitting for my aunt and was talking on the phone and ignoring him. He got up on the couch behind me and bit me on the back of the head.

About eight months ago my aunt started to exhibit some strange behaviour. She lived alone and had not had anyone to visit in some time. When we went into her home, it was filthy, and she had eight cats living with her who were not using litter boxes or being properly fed. I don’t think gentle Lincoln was getting much to eat when they did get fed, because the others were younger and bigger than him.

My aunt was diagnosed with dementia. She was able to keep one cat in her new living situation, the others found homes, and I took Lincoln. For the first while he was with me, he gained a bit of weight and was playful and active.

I had him for five lovely months, and he taught me a lot about love, responsibility, and poop (which he loved to do in his carrier in the car).

Although it scared me at first, I’m so glad I learned to give him subcutaneous fluids toward the end. He always sat patiently and I talked to him quietly, and never had to hold him down. It felt like a really special time.

Before he died yesterday I thanked him for coming to live with me, told him my aunt loved him and I loved him, and held him and kissed him as he passed.

Here he is earlier this spring, feeling more like himself, with his favourite toy.

Thanks for reading and learning more about our special boy. I have really appreciated all the support from this forum over the past months.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to finding out just over a week ago that he also had an aggressive oral tumor, and that this was really what was stopping him from eating.
I know how terrible an oral cancer is, because the cat in my avatar died from the same thing, and it's one of the most evil things I have ever seen!
I am so sorry for your sweet Lincoln...

I learned to give him subcutaneous fluids toward the end. He always sat patiently and I talked to him quietly, and never had to hold him down. It felt like a really special time.
This is what I did with my cat for years, every second night. And it truly was our special moment between us, when we were just the two of us and she was so patient and allowed me to help her without fighting.

RIP Lincoln, you had the huge luck to be loved not by one, but two persons that gave you all you needed, till the end.
Run free on the meadows at the Raibow Bridge :bawling:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's always difficult to say goodbye to one of our kitty friends, however sometimes it is the best/only decision we can make. Lincoln had a long life and seems like he was loved by everyone he came into contact with. None of us can ask for more than that.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is such a sad yet bittersweet story, so sad that he had to endure all that suffering but nice that he and you had a wonderful life together, you both will always remember that and when you see him again one day and he is fine and healthy he will thank you for taking such good care of him and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry that you lost your little friend but he is fine now, no more pain, just fine again. I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for loving that sweet boy so much, he came into your life for a reason, to fill your heart with love and your soul with a special bonding that only comes a few times in life. He shared your life journey for a little while, but the love he gave you will be eternal. You lifted him up when he needed it the most, giving him care and a home and someone left behind to remember and mourn, a tribute to his memory.
"Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know his memory and what you shared will be in your heart forever. You now share with the world his beautiful legacy, so that he may be prayed for and thought of as he begins his journey to the Rainbow Bridge.
My heart goes out to you, I hope you find comfort in your precious memories and that time will soften these hurtful first days of pain and sorrow. His little soul will forever be linked to yours, and will follow your own path until the day you mert again. Take care of yourself, be proud of what you have accomplished. Do not let all those should haves, could haves, that always come with grief, bring you pain. Well done, my friend!......Rip sweet Lincoln. You will be remembered fro eternity, you will forever have a special place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, everyone, for saying so many kind things. I cried reading them in bed this morning and cried some more for my little boy.

I find myself waiting for him to run up to me when I come in the door, or looking around to see if his water bowls need filling. I can't believe how attached we became in just a few months, and how empty the apartment feels without him, even though I lived there for five cat-free years before he came.

I am so glad we had those last few days together after I got home from being away. I think he was still fairly comfortable and I'll always remember those quiet hours of just being together and loving him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Lincoln, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

I know how hard this is, and you will look for him for a long, long time...even after you are "used" to his absence. I still step over Kimberly, the dog I grew up with, when I get up at night, and she has been gone for 45 years now. Or...her physical presence has been gone that long. Because this is what I have learned...love never dies, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. And Love abides. Always and forever, Love abides. The best part of him, his love for you, is with you still, and always will be.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, this brought a lump to my throat...:(

I am so sincerely sorry you have lost him. But at least, he is free from any pain now. Sounds like you really bonded with this boy, and I know it meant a lot to Lincoln.

Rest in eternal peace, Lincoln. You were loved. Your memories will always bring joy to those you have touched and brought happiness to.

Until you meet again...

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you les26, Maria Bayote and Mamanyt1953.

I know he is not in any pain. I still talk out loud to him (and to our family dog who we lost in January), and tell them I love them and believe they can hear me.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry! You are such an amazing cat mom, and I know Lincoln loves and appreciates you and everything you did for him.
We all know the pain of a loss for such an amazing companion, and my heart breaks for you. I hope every day gets a little better where you can think of him with a smile on your face and remember what a special guy was was. :alright:
RIP sweet Lincoln
:angel:

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Jem :hearthrob:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you had to let him go.

436E6084-EA08-4616-8201-202889C0886E.jpeg

Please don’t feel guilty about the nightmare. Thank you for telling me his life story. He sounds very special and was very patient with getting his IV treatments.

D283EBE9-21C2-4D76-A90C-6550AD74D544.jpeg

HelenRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, danteshuman. Those are beautiful poems.

I sure am missing him.

I should be getting his ashes back this week. I wasn't sure whether I would want them or not, or how I would feel about having them, but I didn't like the idea of not knowing where he was, either. I still don't know whether I will bury them (my parents live in the country and two beloved dogs are buried in a pretty spot there), or keep them myself. They'll be in a simple cedar box with his name engraved.

I am starting to think I might want them - maybe on my bookshelf with his favourite toy mouse and a photo.

I guess I probably won't know how I feel until I actually have them.

One nice thing (which I was extremely worried about) is that my aunt has been so kind about everything. She is doing better on medication and support from the Alzheimer's Society. I was worried that she wouldn't understand, or would blame me, but she's been lovely and supportive.