Sweet Kitty Until She Goes Into "Stalk and Attack" Mode

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First time cat owner here, saying WTH??

Kitty is a sweet little purrball most of the time, but then gets the "kitty crazies" and spends the evening sneaking up and leaping at me while I'm sitting in my chair. She varies that by climbing up the back of my chair and reaching over to swat at me. Then she goes under the footrest of my recliner and attacks my legs from underneath.

I spend all evening fighting off a wildcat, then right before bedtime she turns back into a sweet little thing, purring in my lap and begging me not to leave her to go to bed (we close the bedroom door at night.)

I know she's playing with me, but seriously do they all get this wild? Do they eventually grow out of it? And yes, I try to give her play time each day and she has lots of toys to chase and pounce on.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup - typical kitten behavior. Only thing you can really do is just exhaust her with a few hardcore play sessions per day. All of my cats went bonkers for da bird toys (turkey feather was/is the favorite). I used to joke, when she was a kitten, that one of my cats must be a bengal because she was so crazy active. 1-2 hours with da bird and she would settle down-ish.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Normal, but annoying behavior of a young cat with way too much energy and who is telling you she needs to play right now. I would get out a wand or laser every evening and have her chasing it until she is panting and and so tired she quits. After this she probably won’t have the energy for her normal game. But if she does, you give her a big, loud hiss and tell her in your most authoritative voice to stop that. Then you get up and walk away from her.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would block under the recliner since she's at the get into everything age, if she's in it when it's adjusted she can die. *

My solution was to have two cats of the same age. They play with each other rather than you, or the furniture or the curtains or your clothes. Then when they are tired they both come and curl up in your lap.

* an old thread but with some new posts, also search for recliners on this site for more information. You can block them with enough stuff underneath.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Always have a pair when adopting kittens.
Well I didn't exactly adopt a kitten, this one just kind of fell into my lap. A sad, skinny little stray who showed up in my backyard and won me over. I never had a cat before, but this one just pranced her way into my heart. Except when I want to get a whip and a chair to fend her off of me that is! lol

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can still get her a companion about the same age. I 've never found that gender mattered with cat friends, though if you get another female they'll probably stay about the same size, or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can still get her a companion about the same age. I 've never found that gender mattered with cat friends, though if you get another female they'll probably stay about the same size, or not.
I might consider it. We went from NO pets to having a cat with little time to get used to the idea (the stray showed up randomly, and that was that!) The idea of two cats is a little overwhelming, and sounds twice as expensive, too, with the vet bills. But I'll think about it!

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I didn't exactly adopt a kitten, this one just kind of fell into my lap. A sad, skinny little stray who showed up in my backyard and won me over. I never had a cat before, but this one just pranced her way into my heart. Except when I want to get a whip and a chair to fend her off of me that is! lol
That would make a good YouTube video.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you wear her out with play you will do fine with a single cat. While two can entertain one another they can also cause twice the mischief and mess and then there is, as you said, the expense factor.