Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The SAME day, she was adopted. It would NOT hurt to try. You can use gardening gloves to get the collar on. Good luck
Just out of curiosity, did you inform the adopting party that the cat would need a pheromone collar? Did you provide them with a few to get started?

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Usually buy Sentry. It's messy and flakes off white, but so do most brands and I'm used to it.
Sentry and many calming collars are not safe. We’ve had a few cats with severe reaction and injury, and two who died where I work. Sentry is the one we see the most.

But!!! They can be made safe (and as a bonus, it also happens to make it more cost effective).

You have to cut it into 2-4 pieces and then secure it to the outside of a regular breakaway collar. This ensures the safety of the breakaway mechanism, and also prevents potential skin reaction.

I believe Sentry on Amazon is the one with a lot of horrific reviews/pictures, and also shows varying solutions. The most important thing is to ensure it’s able to break away, and that there is no direct contact with skin.

Luls77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sentry and many calming collars are not safe. We’ve had a few cats with severe reaction and injury, and two who died where I work. Sentry is the one we see the most.

But!!! They can be made safe (and as a bonus, it also happens to make it more cost effective).

You have to cut it into 2-4 pieces and then secure it to the outside of a regular breakaway collar. This ensures the safety of the breakaway mechanism, and also prevents potential skin reaction.

I believe Sentry on Amazon is the one with a lot of horrific reviews/pictures, and also shows varying solutions. The most important thing is to ensure it’s able to break away, and that there is no direct contact with skin.
I've used the collars on at least a dozen cats at the shelter as well as my own cats over the years. I've never had an issue. I have cut it in pieces and taped it to collars mostly to save money and it seems to work just as well. I completely understand the concerns around not being break away. There are break away versions of the calming collars I've seen on amazon but haven't tried. I go by my own experience and it LITERALLY changed my one psycho female cat into a sweetheart, and as I've mentioned, did some miracle work at the shelter. BUT, for some cats (like my previous old male kitty, it did nothing for him to help with the stress of moving). So it varies from cat to cat it seems.

Luls77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, did you inform the adopting party that the cat would need a pheromone collar? Did you provide them with a few to get started?
Yes, they were advised....but not provided with extras, as it lasts for up to 30 days. Also the shelter is a unique place, and our cats are free to roam in a cattery and not in individual cages. When a new cat is brought in, it can freak out from all the smells of the other cats in an unfamiliar environment, so just because a cat is acting crazy/aggressive at the shelter, when they are adopted into a home and settle in, they may not need the pheromone collars forever. It's hard to judge a cat in the shelter as it's a stressful place for them.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used the collars on at least a dozen cats at the shelter as well as my own cats over the years. I've never had an issue. I have cut it in pieces and taped it to collars mostly to save money and it seems to work just as well. I completely understand the concerns around not being break away. There are break away versions of the calming collars I've seen on amazon but haven't tried. I go by my own experience and it LITERALLY changed my one psycho female cat into a sweetheart, and as I've mentioned, did some miracle work at the shelter. BUT, for some cats (like my previous old male kitty, it did nothing for him to help with the stress of moving). So it varies from cat to cat it seems.
It probably does. But just as with human reactions to drugs, the clinical trials may clear a drug for on humans -- but if YOUR family member sickens or worse, that doesn't matter too much, does it? That's why we really have to heed these casualty reports.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not saying they don’t work - they definitely do for some cats.

Like you said, it can be a world of difference, and it’s always worth a shot. I’ve recommended Sentry (+modifications) many times on this forum before.

We’ve had and seen hundreds of cats with these collars, though. From rescues and shelters using them, to private owners, to fosters, to what our vets have experienced in their line of work. We’ve run into several shelters that have a “no Sentry/calming collar” policy due to experience with these issues prior to being informed about adjustments they can make to make it safer (and more affordable).

Don’t get me wrong, the vast majority of cats have no issue with these collars (whether they actually respond to the pheromone or not). Others have no issue for years, until one day they do. A minority develop issues within a short period of wearing them.

The way Sentry and many of these collars are made, just isn’t safe.

The cats we saw who died from these collars... I honestly will never forget that.

They looked like the Joker from how far the collar split and ripped their cheeks open. One had dislocated part of his jaw but the collar wasn’t still stuck on the teeth, the other had gashes and bruising from running into things and taking a tumble down a flight of stairs frantically trying to break free to breathe.

They suffered horrifically before eventually and slowly suffocating to death.

Others have skin reactions, from mild to blistering and severe.

I always hate giving Sentry business because they are well aware of these issues and how many cats have suffered. Consumers have also found the perfect way to prevent both safety issues and Sentry could capitalize on that by making modifications of their own!

But it’s been years, and they’ve still made no effort to change.

In any other context, I would not ever support their product in any way, shape, or form.

But Sentry can perform miracles in some cats. They seem to be the best/most effective in the market as far as we can tell too.

And luckily, the collar can be modified. Like you said, using only half or even less of the collar seems to be as effective as using the whole thing.

So I at least feel some resolve for not giving them the money they ask for by buying a whole new collar every month. 🤷🏻‍♀️

But basically, we’re in agreement. The modifications you make sound exactly what I’m suggesting. Just might want to explicitly recommend the same modifications whenever you recommend the collar (or similar ones) in the future!

Luls77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
absolutely agree! the modification is definitely safer and cheaper - so I will always suggest it going forward. One thing I forgot to mention is that I've even tossed a piece of a collar into a carrier with a stressed cat, and that has helped when they are confined.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not saying they don’t work - they definitely do for some cats.

Like you said, it can be a world of difference, and it’s always worth a shot. I’ve recommended Sentry (+modifications) many times on this forum before.

We’ve had and seen hundreds of cats with these collars, though. From rescues and shelters using them, to private owners, to fosters, to what our vets have experienced in their line of work. We’ve run into several shelters that have a “no Sentry/calming collar” policy due to experience with these issues prior to being informed about adjustments they can make to make it safer (and more affordable).

Don’t get me wrong, the vast majority of cats have no issue with these collars (whether they actually respond to the pheromone or not). Others have no issue for years, until one day they do. A minority develop issues within a short period of wearing them.

The way Sentry and many of these collars are made, just isn’t safe.

The cats we saw who died from these collars... I honestly will never forget that.

They looked like the Joker from how far the collar split and ripped their cheeks open. One had dislocated part of his jaw but the collar wasn’t still stuck on the teeth, the other had gashes and bruising from running into things and taking a tumble down a flight of stairs frantically trying to break free to breathe.

They suffered horrifically before eventually and slowly suffocating to death.

Others have skin reactions, from mild to blistering and severe.

I always hate giving Sentry business because they are well aware of these issues and how many cats have suffered. Consumers have also found the perfect way to prevent both safety issues and Sentry could capitalize on that by making modifications of their own!

But it’s been years, and they’ve still made no effort to change.

In any other context, I would not ever support their product in any way, shape, or form.

But Sentry can perform miracles in some cats. They seem to be the best/most effective in the market as far as we can tell too.

And luckily, the collar can be modified. Like you said, using only half or even less of the collar seems to be as effective as using the whole thing.

So I at least feel some resolve for not giving them the money they ask for by buying a whole new collar every month. 🤷🏻‍♀️

But basically, we’re in agreement. The modifications you make sound exactly what I’m suggesting. Just might want to explicitly recommend the same modifications whenever you recommend the collar (or similar ones) in the future!
THANKING YOU BIGTIME for reporting the facts and sharing your compassionate and knowledgable thoughts. For me, if ONE life is negatively impacted or worse, lost, it's not worth it and I for one will not give my money or support to this company either. Not telling or suggesting anyone else follow my lead. Just sharing my agreement and my thoughts.

Luls77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see there's another brand without any of the lavender scent (completely unscented) and has safety break-away. I will still cut it and tape a piece the collar. It looks promising though!

Comfort Zone Cat Calming Pheromone Collar, Anxiety & Stress Relief Aid, Breakaway Design

carrots47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old post. I am going through the same and have tried everything. What was your outcome?

Luls77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know as the OP never gave an update. I pray that poor kitty was not harmed or euthanized though. I would highly suggest buying a pheromone calming collar, modifying it as written in the thread above (cut it into pieces and use tape or an elastic to fasten it to the inside of a regular breakaway cat collar.) You can also get the calming diffuser as an extra measure. You don't mention any details like, how long have you had the cat, age, or situation? If it's a relatively new cat, it can just take time. If you adopted an adult, you don't know what the cat has been through. Patience, space, and time, which can mean weeks, months or even years before they realize they're safe. Best of luck!