Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anything in CC's history you can think of that might be helpful? I was wondering if she had ever been an only cat, but then I saw where you said they are littermates.
Unfortunately, she’s literally always been a little crazy. That’s why her name is CC. Crazy Cat. But I named her that with affection, of course, because she was a kitten. She was a super aggressive kitten, for no reason, they were all raised the same. They just turned three, and while they have always fought, right around the time they turned one is when it started slowing escalating, and again for no real reason. I live alone. I don’t have many people visit (I’ve even stopped visitors altogether, no one has been in my house since this past October) because I’ve done everything I can think of to take away stress or triggers. You’d think she was a feral cat that I’ve tried to tame, or something. She’s just wired this way and I’m not sure there’s anything left to do about it.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have been dealing with this for many months and it sounds like you are going above and beyond as far as trying different solutions.

So she won't eat pill pockets, so I guess you can't give her alprazolam (unless you already tried that).

I wish I could help - short of all the meds you tried, I am not sure what else to do.

I understand you are concerned for your FLUTD kitty, and I totally understand (I have a FLUTD kitty). You have a lot to deal with. Whatever you and your vet decide, your efforts have been 200% for her.
Thank you for saying this. This is absolutely devastating, the most devastating thing I’ve ever been through (that’s saying a lot) because I love her. I want the best for her. I don’t know what to do for her. I also don’t know what to do for me, or for my other cats, and almost losing my FLUTD cat back in November traumatized me and put me in a really bad place, because my cats are my life. It’s extremely hard.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is traumatizing (speaking from FLUTD experience). Having a FLUTD cat is one of the most difficult things a cat parent can experience. And you have CC's aggression in addition to your FLUTD baby. Clearly, you love all your kitties. But I fear you may have a breakdown, given all you are dealing with - and by yourself.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
New Cat Becoming Agressive Like Old Cat, Please Help.

How Should I Deal After A Bad Experience With My Cat?
Read post #10

Mer.kitten Mer.kitten is someone who has been in your shoes. I recalled seeing a similar thread awhile back and did a search. I don’t have any advice, other than to let you know I’m so sorry you got hurt. Please see about getting some antibiotics. You mentioned you don’t have health insurance. You can’t take care of any of your cats if you don’t look out for yourself. You matter, too!

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is traumatizing (speaking from FLUTD experience). Having a FLUTD cat is one of the most difficult things a cat parent can experience. And you have CC's aggression in addition to your FLUTD baby. Clearly, you love all your kitties. But I fear you may have a breakdown, given all you are dealing with - and by yourself.
This is so true. If I lost him.... I can’t even think about it without bursting into tears. And I’m all alone, I don’t really have parents, or family, and everything I deal with has to be on my own mentally and otherwise. I have no outside help. I don’t know.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do be careful with those wounds. Theres something called cat scratch fever. Google it. Did you clean the wounds with hydrogen peroxide?

I wish i had an answer for your situation. I think if i was in that situation, my solution would depend on where i live. if i lived in a big home, I would enclose the yard and have the cat live there. Separating all the animals in the house. It isnt ideal, but it keeps the cat alive. I dont know what your living situation is, just thought i would put that out there. Theres even ways to enclose a yard so cants cant get in or out. Or maybe separate the house with baby gates if there is space for them.

I understand this is an incredibly difficult decision. As crazy as my cats have driven me over the years. Especially my moms cat Elsa, i cant imagine giving them up. My cat Elsa scratched my niece in my old home. I had to train her to get along with her. It was scary, because i thought i would have to lock her up in my room to keep her from getting thrown out.

But I also cant imagine getting injured like that. I pray you find some kind of resolution. :vibes::heartshape: I am sorry i cant be of more help.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you have been working on all of this and it is traumatizing for you each time. I also know what it’s like to be without family. I just wanted to say that I know it’s not the same as having genetic family but TCS is family. We do care about you and the kitties. We all see our kitties as family too. We are here to listen, offer any tricks or tips we have ever learned and send all the hope we can that CC will learn that there is nothing left to react to. It seemed to be going better for awhile. I don’t know what was different. Has anything changed in the neighborhood to make her flare up again? A stray coming by maybe. It is mating season again. That makes me wonder if she hears a cat way off some where doing a mating yowl. We can’t hear or smell the things that they detect. I can’t remember if you have tried something like white noise, nature sounds or something to disguise outside noises. If I recall, one kitty was partially fixed. Mating season might be stirring hormones again. I think we wondered about that before. Citrus spray cannot be used on CC but I wonder if it could disguise scent outside or around the house. It might be an inexpensive distraction? Even something like Lemon furniture polish on the outside of the door might keep her from wanting to come out of the room you have her shut up in for the moment. Hoping for you.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Read post #10

Mer.kitten Mer.kitten is someone who has been in your shoes. I recalled seeing a similar thread awhile back and did a search. I don’t have any advice, other than to let you know I’m so sorry you got hurt. Please see about getting some antibiotics. You mentioned you don’t have health insurance. You can’t take care of any of your cats if you don’t look out for yourself. You matter, too!
This just made me cry again. I feel so bad for her. I completely understand. This is so, so similar to Cc. I can’t imagine watching her being taken away. But I don’t know what else to do on the flip side of that. I’m hoping, praying, that I’ll finally be able to start my career soon when a job position opens up, and hopefully after that I’ll be able to buy a bigger home where I can not only separate her but not worry about her messing something up. I don’t know. I’m constantly in flight or fight mode. I do pretty much everything suggested by others there, as well. I think I might have mentioned it but I kept my window ac unit on all winter (yes, my bill was super high) because it’s loud for background noise. I talk to them constantly, it’s rare that I’m not. I’ve tried to play music or podcasts but that makes her jumpy so I stopped. My heart hurts for that story, for everything.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do be careful with those wounds. Theres something called cat scratch fever. Google it. Did you clean the wounds with hydrogen peroxide?

I wish i had an answer for your situation. I think if i was in that situation, my solution would depend on where i live. if i lived in a big home, I would enclose the yard and have the cat live there. Separating all the animals in the house. It isnt ideal, but it keeps the cat alive. I dont know what your living situation is, just thought i would put that out there. Theres even ways to enclose a yard so cants cant get in or out. Or maybe separate the house with baby gates if there is space for them.

I understand this is an incredibly difficult decision. As crazy as my cats have driven me over the years. Especially my moms cat Elsa, i cant imagine giving them up. My cat Elsa scratched my niece in my old home. I had to train her to get along with her. It was scary, because i thought i would have to lock her up in my room to keep her from getting thrown out.

But I also cant imagine getting injured like that. I pray you find some kind of resolution. :vibes::heartshape: I am sorry i cant be of more help.
I’ve thought about this as well, I’ve even looked into really high fences that I can potentially put around my house for when I buy. And then a sunroom/screened in porch she can live in as well, hopefully a sunroom that is temperature controlled. I don’t know. It’s at least comforting to know that if I ever get to this place, I’ll have an option, but it also hurts me because she loves to cuddle as well, and wouldn’t be in the house anymore. This is so hard.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Read post #10

First of all thanks for tagging me in this.

Second: catluvs, i am so, so sorry youre going through this. I went through the same thing and i know exactly now hard it is, and how frustrated and hopeless it can feel, especially when you come on a forun for help and some people dont understand. Hell, before it happened to me i wouldnt have understood. This is NOT NORMAL AGGRESSION, for those who dont get it. This isnt bang a pot and itll stop. Bang a pot with these cats and theyll try to kill you. Most people are used to a "cat attack" meaning a quick scratch or bite, or even them latching on a sec and biting hard before disengaging. These cats dont fisengage, they keep comong-howling, screaming, launching themselves at you.

I went thru it and we tried evetything: feliway, prozac rubbed into his ear ebery night with a gloved finger, new furniture, keeping the apt super quiet, tons of affection, leaving him alone, walks, catnip. He just got worse. It got to where me and my bf were both terfified of him, and my bf at the time who was a big dude who wasnt scared of anything.

Then there was one last attack out of nowhere. I managed to get out of the room and called my bf dobbing and bleeding profusely, and he said 'call animal contol'. So i did. They came in and caught him with a catchpole like he was a wild animal and despite everything it still hurt so bad and i felt like a piece of shit. I saved him from the streets, i rescued him. I called a couple days later to ask about him and the woman had an attitude like "oh youre the one who surrendered that cat. Hes fine, hes in his cage". I hung up thinking well ok, maybe it was me. Maybe they can rehome him. I called to check on him a couple days later and her tone was totally different. "He attacked a worker znd was euthanized". And then i hung up and cried for my poor kitty.

Years went by. I thought i might like to get a dog someday. And then 3 years ago i saw this little stray black kitty in a vacant lot and took her in "just til i can find a rescue"-and ended up keeping her, and shes the sweetest kitty ever. But so was my old cat when he wasnt raging, shich made it so hard.

My personal recommendation, if youve tried meds and everything and nothing has helped, is that he be put to sleep. This is not something i say lightly, and im willing to take the heat for it, bc ive been there. You cant keep being attacked like this. You dont deserve it, and its not safe for you or the other cats. What if he gets your face next time, your eye? The only other option is maybe a rescue that deals with difficult cases, but of course you'd have to be super honest about how he is.

You cant kerp going like this. I waited too long too, bc i wanted to be loyal to my cat and take care of him, i didnt want to be the scumbag who abandobs an animal.. but of course, i wasnt-i was protecting myself, and my bf znd anyone else who came in our home.
If you can, i recommend you go in with him. Have them give him a sedative first, and hold him and talk to him and tdll him you tried, and you love him a lot. Please make sure you have dome sense of saying goodbye and closure. My last memory of my old cat is him in the animal control guys carrier, meowing. Dont leave yourself with that kind of messed up memory.

If you have any questions or just need to talk to someone who's been through it, my inbox is open. Hang in there.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sunroom or porch can have a nice little cot where you can have little catnaps with her.
I use a loud fan with my nervous cats because it’s less expensive and is a calming sound. Sort of like a big purr. Keep dreaming of a peaceful future. It can happen. I have some experience with ups and downs. I am going to dream of a peaceful future for you too.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you have been working on all of this and it is traumatizing for you each time. I also know what it’s like to be without family. I just wanted to say that I know it’s not the same as having genetic family but TCS is family. We do care about you and the kitties. We all see our kitties as family too. We are here to listen, offer any tricks or tips we have ever learned and send all the hope we can that CC will learn that there is nothing left to react to. It seemed to be going better for awhile. I don’t know what was different. Has anything changed in the neighborhood to make her flare up again? A stray coming by maybe. It is mating season again. That makes me wonder if she hears a cat way off some where doing a mating yowl. We can’t hear or smell the things that they detect. I can’t remember if you have tried something like white noise, nature sounds or something to disguise outside noises. If I recall, one kitty was partially fixed. Mating season might be stirring hormones again. I think we wondered about that before. Citrus spray cannot be used on CC but I wonder if it could disguise scent outside or around the house. It might be an inexpensive distraction? Even something like Lemon furniture polish on the outside of the door might keep her from wanting to come out of the room you have her shut up in for the moment. Hoping for you.
Just in case, I bought some plastic garden fencing form Walmart and tied it to my banisters on my porch, and bought an automatic sprinkler to prevent any cats. I honestly haven’t seen one though, not even the little orange cat that used to come walk around my yard. I still haven’t taken Lo to get her revision because I literally can’t handle the weeks of fighting that comes after someone goes to the vet. I genuinely can’t. Not after all of Tuck’s episodes. She still acts normal and hasn’t had another episode since last fall. I was hoping that once we were months free of any big fighting that I could. The aggression always happens between Cc and Tuck, with Cc attacking. And then Lo joins in, and then it becomes really bad. Thank you for your kind words, TCS has helped me a lot, even just posting here when something happens. I’m glad I at least have somewhat of an outlet and I appreciate everyone who comments and converses with me

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all thanks for tagging me in this.

Second: catluvs, i am so, so sorry youre going through this. I went through the same thing and i know exactly now hard it is, and how frustrated and hopeless it can feel, especially when you come on a forun for help and some people dont understand. Hell, before it happened to me i wouldnt have understood. This is NOT NORMAL AGGRESSION, for those who dont get it. This isnt bang a pot and itll stop. Bang a pot with these cats and theyll try to kill you. Most people are used to a "cat attack" meaning a quick scratch or bite, or even them latching on a sec and biting hard before disengaging. These cats dont fisengage, they keep comong-howling, screaming, launching themselves at you.

I went thru it and we tried evetything: feliway, prozac rubbed into his ear ebery night with a gloved finger, new furniture, keeping the apt super quiet, tons of affection, leaving him alone, walks, catnip. He just got worse. It got to where me and my bf were both terfified of him, and my bf at the time who was a big dude who wasnt scared of anything.

Then there was one last attack out of nowhere. I managed to get out of the room and called my bf dobbing and bleeding profusely, and he said 'call animal contol'. So i did. They came in and caught him with a catchpole like he was a wild animal and despite everything it still hurt so bad and i felt like a piece of shit. I saved him from the streets, i rescued him. I called a couple days later to ask about him and the woman had an attitude like "oh youre the one who surrendered that cat. Hes fine, hes in his cage". I hung up thinking well ok, maybe it was me. Maybe they can rehome him. I called to check on him a couple days later and her tone was totally different. "He attacked a worker znd was euthanized". And then i hung up and cried for my poor kitty.

Years went by. I thought i might like to get a dog someday. And then 3 years ago i saw this little stray black kitty in a vacant lot and took her in "just til i can find a rescue"-and ended up keeping her, and shes the sweetest kitty ever. But so was my old cat when he wasnt raging, shich made it so hard.

My personal recommendation, if youve tried meds and everything and nothing has helped, is that he be put to sleep. This is not something i say lightly, and im willing to take the heat for it, bc ive been there. You cant keep being attacked like this. You dont deserve it, and its not safe for you or the other cats. What if he gets your face next time, your eye? The only other option is maybe a rescue that deals with difficult cases, but of course you'd have to be super honest about how he is.

You cant kerp going like this. I waited too long too, bc i wanted to be loyal to my cat and take care of him, i didnt want to be the scumbag who abandobs an animal.. but of course, i wasnt-i was protecting myself, and my bf znd anyone else who came in our home.
If you can, i recommend you go in with him. Have them give him a sedative first, and hold him and talk to him and tdll him you tried, and you love him a lot. Please make sure you have dome sense of saying goodbye and closure. My last memory of my old cat is him in the animal control guys carrier, meowing. Dont leave yourself with that kind of messed up memory.

If you have any questions or just need to talk to someone who's been through it, my inbox is open. Hang in there.
I’m so sorry. I’m heart broken for what you went through, yet I completely understand. I’m thankful you dropped by to share your story as well. I’m just so devastated by everything. I’m going to try to continue to do the best I can, even in misery and heart ache.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry. I’m heart broken for what you went through, yet I completely understand. I’m thankful you dropped by to share your story as well. I’m just so devastated by everything. I’m going to try to continue to do the best I can, even in misery and heart ache.
It took a long time to get over, and it still males me sad but i have healed somewhat. My Honeybunny helps with that-she sleeps curled up to me every night and is the cutest derpiest thing ever. My thread "new cat becoming aggresdive like old cat" ended up just being about remnants of fear and paranoia about my old cat. I was just still jumpy and worried about being attacked again and projecting it-but she turned out to be the sweetest kitty ive ever had.

I mean it, if you need anything, let me know.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, this stinks! I feel so bad for both of you that have and have had this. My brother had a less extreme version of this for many years, and when that cat passed, his partner adamantly refused, and continues to refuse, to get another pet due to trauma and fear. Towards the end of its life, that cat mellowed some, but not enough that they felt able to deal with the issue when it developed diabetes. They were overwhelmed, and ended up finding a rescue willing to take the cat. I don't know how honest they were about its disposition, but I do believe there are some rescues willing to work hard to home problem cats with experts. And with some folks still in quarantine, there has been a lot of increased demand for pets, so they may well have open spots. Sounds like that may well be the only option left. I wish you and this cat the best.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I’m back. Please please, can anyone help me. I don’t know what to do. Tuck was playing and dove through his tunnel which made a loud noise (I was right there), and Cc started a huge brawl. I managed to shut my bedroom door and I thought that was it except she hit the door so hard it flew back open and she flew back in and started attacking me, but I managed to wrestle her a bit back out the door. I don’t know what to do. I’m bawling my eyes out, and I’m locked in my bedroom with Tuck and Lo. This is so hard and I don’t know how much more I can take. I’m not sure what can be said or what advice could be given that hasn’t already, but I’m just at the end of my rope. I’m so sick to my stomach. Tuck has bad cuts on his face. Just ten minutes before, everything was fine! I was holding her, she was licking my nose, and I had just thought to myself that they weren’t even pestering each other! I’m at a loss. This isn’t even what my foot/leg/side of arm looks like. I just don’t know I’m so heartbroken.
How long does Tuck have to put up with this? How long until he is just as traumatized and acting out?

Allowing one family member to terrorize the rest of the house is not "love", especially when it is resulting in "bad cuts" on family members who have no say in matter. They are helpless, and all they can do is hope you hide them in time before the problem cat hurts them. What happens when you start working, and are no longer around? Parents put such kids out, put down their bitey dogs, etc. You're not a bad person if you euthanize this cat.

Last edited:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sad for you and your kitties. I know you will do what you need to do and make the decisions that are right for you. One thought occurs to me is how Cc feels living inside her mind like this, and how she can't escape it or change it. And if another situation is best for her, where she isn't getting enraged. I don't think it's giving up, rather helping her have something she can cope with. I don't remember if there are other places where you are that she could go, but whatever happens I'm thinking of you all and hoping for something good :hugs::heartshape::touched:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any rescue groups or fosters in your area? I was struggling to rescue a large number of cats in my area and there were times when a little moral support was needed. I found a person who was doing rescues too. She took in feral kittens and we ended up being support for each other as well as learning from each other. She cried on my shoulder and I cried on hers. I would really like to see you with someone near who could give you that as well. I can’t tell you how much it helped just to know someone else shared some of the same issues and as we went through the past couple of years we were able to pass information back and forth. She doesn’t live in my town but near enough that some of the connections we both have benefitted the other. Everything from good vets to medical advancements to solving behavioral issues or adoption resources. We have become cat family to each other. We have only met in person a couple of times but we have a great deal in common. It helps knowing that someone is near. Maybe we could help you find a group listed near you if you have any interest in making contact.

Gremlin's Guesthouse

Rescue Sanctuary
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, Catluvs. I see after many months that you continue the struggle with your CC. I just read the reply from Mer.kitten and I urge you to take that advice to heart. I also suggested that you have run the gamut of remedies and have only the one hard choice left. I am not unfamiliar with your problem; however, I had the ability to separate my cats by bringing one into the house. When my sweet boy then went after his sister, I was again able to separate the living quarters in my catio. I did this for a few days, and also immediately put a Nurturecalm pheromone collar on him. Fortunately, this did the trick. Obviously, I doubt this would work for CC. I think, if you're going to continue to keep CC and your other cats, your only choice is to keep him in a cat condo in order to protect your other cats, and then rotate free roaming time for everyone between the condo and the bedroom.

I realize everyone was offended by my suggestion that you seriously consider euthanasia; however, here we are how many months later, and have you seen any improvement? I am truly not unsympathetic to your plight, but I feel it may be time for a reality check. I have worked in rescue for over 30 years, and I have had several cats with whom I have made that "heart connection." I have been up all night with a sick cat, left the house at 5:00 a.m., and driven over 200 miles to make it to the emergency clinic in order to get a blood transfusion for him. I have agonized, cried, and pleaded with God for their lives. I have grieved their loss, and lived with the emptiness that never goes away. So, please believe me when I say I understand, and my suggestions are not made with a callous heart.

As harsh as it may sound, I think it is time for some straight talk. There is something very wrong with your cat. You have done everything you can to help him, and nothing has changed. You have been given countless suggestions by many goodhearted TCS cat lovers, and have been unable to act on them for one reason or another. You do not appear to have the facilities to deal with multiple cats when one of them obviously has special needs. You have a duty and responsibility to your other two cats to provide a safe environment for them. The situation in your home is something similar to an abused woman who allows her abuser to terrorize and abuse her children. If you want to accept being terrorized, that's your choice. But you don't have the right to subject your other cats to the kind of abuse CC appears to be dishing out. If you are going to keep CC, and you honestly love the other two, do the right thing and get them out of this untenable situation. CC is not adoptable, and is classified as a dangerous animal. I fear that if you tried to place him somewhere and he injured someone, you might be legally liable.

I'm sorry for your plight, and I don't wish to inflict pain or harm on you (at least any more than you've already experienced). However, you now have a difficult choice to make, and it is time for you to make that choice out of love for all three of them: keep him and let them go, or keep them and let him go. You're not doing anyone any good by continuing in your current path; and that includes you, as well.

I'm very sorry.

• Purraise
Reactions: nwc