Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you worried about her digging under the door and ruining the carpet there? If so, you can get an office chair floor protector (the stiff plastic kind) and cut that to fit under the door, and leave a foot or so on each side. It's usually stiff enough that cats can't get under it.

You can also buy them pre-cut but I think cutting the large mat to fit gives more protection.

I had just thought of this when I posted earlier, definitely looking into it! A problem I’m having is also the space underneath the doors are really large, she can’t fit under there, but Lo can. It’s impossible to shut her out of anywhere. So I’m thinking maybe one these, and a couple baby gates may possibly do the trick. She gets really agitated when she’s shut away so I’m also hoping that being able to see Tuck and Lo and what’s happening will chill her out

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I feel like I post here too much, but... had to take Tuck back to the vet (has a bad bout of dermatitis and some allergies) and he was prescribed powdered medicine for the bad sore on his ear. When I brought him home, I gave him a light bath to minimize smell, which worked for Cc, but Lo is FREAKING out about the smell of the medicine. I know it’s the medicine because I let them smell it before hand to introduce them to it before I brought Tuck in, and she started hissing then. Bad growling, yowling, hissing. She’s not like Cc, as in she won’t directly attack, but the thing is her reactions to Tuck (and me and Cc) are causing Cc to get triggered and charge at Tuck. Otherwise, she’s fine with him. I tried to vanilla trick too, didn’t work. Anyone have any advice? She did this when I took Cc to the vet, but not near as bad.

I’m having extreme caregiver burnout, I guess is what it’s called. I’ve been so stressed that my anxiety has caused me to constantly clench my teeth and now a whole row of my teeth ache pretty badly. I keep imagining having to deal with all this for the next 15 years and my stomach drops. And then I feel extremely guilty for wishing I had kept only 1 cat instead of all 3. I’m trying to hang in there, though.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having brought in a lot of ferals I’m a short time, I faced space problems and separation issues too. I had lots of wire shelving and I also used large wire cages. The shelving may require you to add a bit of hardware to the door frame so as a renter I don’t know if you can do that but the cages that you can get are really nice and many have several levels. They come with shelving up high for a perch and some have little cat hammocks. Cc can be inside the cage when you are gone and out if you are home. They work quite well and provide a sense of security for any cat with a need for privacy or withdrawal. I have often suggested them to others for introducing kitties, or kitties that have any issues with other cats until they get used to each other. You can get them on rollers so you can easily move them if needed. I suggest you look at a lot of different types before an actual purchase. Some are made far better that others. I happen to prefer the ones with two doors. That makes it much easier to access litter box, water and food without disturbing the cat. I also like the removable tray in the bottom since kitties can spill things and a good scrubbing of the tray leaves things extra clean. I take the whole tray outside to scrub and hose down. I’ve had Mom kitties with litters in them as well as big old Toms. I still have them in my house because, even though the cats no longer need to be confined, I have found that they like having them around for naps, privacy, play spaces and privacy. I love them! I put a small cartierinside for an extra private place for the kitties to hide. That makes it super easy to take kitty out if needed. She goes into the carrier and you just shut the door. Great for vet trips. She has her own travel trailer. Lol It gives a sense of security when you have to move her since her mini house goes with her.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My post just crossed your latest. I clench my teeth too. Bri is. Make a point of consciously relaxing your jaw and wiggling it often through out the day. It takes some practice but really helps with the pain. Caregiver burn out is a thing! Very common to be stressed. Try to find a way to step away from the situation at regular intervals. Even if it’s just by going for a soak in the tub, reading for a few minutes or walking around outside for some fresh air. Whatever gives you a moment of relief here and there. Try to hang in there. Believe me, you’ll reach a point later where it all gets easier to handle. You’ve had to learn a lot about this in a short time but you’ve done an excellent job. You’re amassing a skill set that will give you the tools you need to handle all this with far less strsss as you go along. You’re doing great and you’re getting a handle on how to deal with this. It just takes time. Try not to assume the future will be hard. I find that we look back and go , “Wow, I did that!” You’ll be surprised at how well you managed and conquered the problems! :goldstar:

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My post just crossed your latest. I clench my teeth too. Bri is. Make a point of consciously relaxing your jaw and wiggling it often through out the day. It takes some practice but really helps with the pain. Caregiver burn out is a thing! Very common to be stressed. Try to find a way to step away from the situation at regular intervals. Even if it’s just by going for a soak in the tub, reading for a few minutes or walking around outside for some fresh air. Whatever gives you a moment of relief here and there. Try to hang in there. Believe me, you’ll reach a point later where it all gets easier to handle. You’ve had to learn a lot about this in a short time but you’ve done an excellent job. You’re amassing a skill set that will give you the tools you need to handle all this with far less strsss as you go along. You’re doing great and you’re getting a handle on how to deal with this. It just takes time. Try not to assume the future will be hard. I find that we look back and go , “Wow, I did that!” You’ll be surprised at how well you managed and conquered the problems! :goldstar:
Thank you! And thank you for all your advice. I’m definitely going to look into the cage. Just gotta keep on chugging forward, I guess.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven’t read the whole 9 pages of thread, but I keep thinking about the same thing - this cat is hijacking the health and well being of everyone else in the household. Doesn’t matter if it’s not the cat‘s fault, it just is. The cat version of intermittent explosive disorder isn’t any less disruptive than the human kind - not for the cat, not fo you, not for the other pets.

That said, I wouldn’t put the cat on the farm - risk/reward ratio is to great as far as the cat’s painful demise. I WOULD try and find the cat a single cat household, but you’d have to give full disclosure and stress that they must return CC to you if it doesn’t work out. If rehoming didn’t work I’d put the cat to sleep and adopt another cat. I hope that doesn’t sound too harsh, but IMO too often people discount that perfectly adoptable (sane) animals are being euthanized while they’re expending resources on a problem situation they don’t control and can’t fix - no matter how hard try.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you are dealing with serious cat issues, there is no such animal as "posting too much." Never.

Now, may I suggest a cup of chamomile tea sweetened with honey for you? As with stressed cats, it is gently calming without being sedating, and may well help. Whenever I think, "If I have to deal with this for one more minutes, I'm going to start pulling my eyelashes out, one by one!" I brew a cup of chamomile tea. But DO sweeten with honey. Chamomile does not play well with refined sugar!

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you are dealing with serious cat issues, there is no such animal as "posting too much." Never.

Now, may I suggest a cup of chamomile tea sweetened with honey for you? As with stressed cats, it is gently calming without being sedating, and may well help. Whenever I think, "If I have to deal with this for one more minutes, I'm going to start pulling my eyelashes out, one by one!" I brew a cup of chamomile tea. But DO sweeten with honey. Chamomile does not play well with refined sugar!
Thank you so much ♥ I definitely need some! That’ll be the first thing I pick up at the grocery store.

Thank you guys for your support and responses, it greatly helps me

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t read the whole 9 pages of thread, but I keep thinking about the same thing - this cat is hijacking the health and well being of everyone else in the household. Doesn’t matter if it’s not the cat‘s fault, it just is. The cat version of intermittent explosive disorder isn’t any less disruptive than the human kind - not for the cat, not fo you, not for the other pets.

That said, I wouldn’t put the cat on the farm - risk/reward ratio is to great as far as the cat’s painful demise. I WOULD try and find the cat a single cat household, but you’d have to give full disclosure and stress that they must return CC to you if it doesn’t work out. If rehoming didn’t work I’d put the cat to sleep and adopt another cat. I hope that doesn’t sound too harsh, but IMO too often people discount that perfectly adoptable (sane) animals are being euthanized while they’re expending resources on a problem situation they don’t control and can’t fix - no matter how hard try.
Completely agree! We wouldn't put up with humans treating us and our loved ones this way. Except maybe the part about adopting another one in her place. Might be good to just take a breather with the resident kitties.

Memzie65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.
I write this with tears of frustration and sadness coming down my face and the cat in question in my lap.
I have 3 cats, all of whom were littermates. They’re 3 years old. One of my female cats has always been nuts. Her name is Cc (short for crazy cat, or crack cat my brother jokes) and she has very bad redirected aggression. She’s a loving and playful cat who loves her brother and sister.... until she sees another cat, smells another cat, hears another cat, hears a loud noise on the porch and assumes there’s another cat, among many others. While she’s always been “attacky” if a trigger is present, it’s gotten especially crazy within the last year. I pet a stray cat, didn’t get to the bathroom in time, thought I would need stitches after she attacked. Was locked in there for hours. I made a gasping noise because my other cat was trying to eat a piece of tape, I gently tried to wrestle him down to get it out of his mouth, and she attacked both of us. That time she hit a vein and I was bleeding so bad I have stains on my carpet. A neighbors cat was yowling outside last week, it tuned into a knock down drag out cat brawl between the three (due to her heightened state) which included chunks of hair being ripped out, nail husks embedded in backs, and face sores. I had to sit still on my bed and wait until it was over, lest I receive battle wounds, too. This morning, my washer made the screen door rattle, which sent her into attack mode on my boy cat, who was doing nothing. etc. etc. etc. My male cat also has FLUTD, which the vet emphasizes is very much triggered by stress. After she calms down, she’ll go back to her old self and try to be affectionate with them, but they want nothing to do with her now, with good reason.

I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried removing every trigger within my power. I’ve tried playing with them even more than I already do. I’ve tried giving her places to hide. I’m young and live alone, so my house is pretty quiet (I’m scared to breathe too loud). I’ve googled and googled and googled, and have done everything I’ve read/thought of. Took her to the vet, who prescribed liquid Prozac, but I’m having a very hard time getting it administered, since she doesn’t like anything except her dry cat food and cheese (wouldn’t eat the cheese with it, even tried doing it a little at a time).

I’m truly, truly at a loss. I’ve worked a long time to get rid of my panic attacks and have been successful for several years, but now they’re back. I’m scared in my own home. I’m scared to leave for work, afraid a situation will arise that I can’t help diffuse, and my boy cat will pay the price. The vet said she’s legally obligated to suggest euthanasia, but I don’t see how I could ever do that. My heart is broken enough as it is. She also said that she thinks she’d make a good transition as a barn cat, within a program who actually takes care of cats and wants the best for them. I have no idea what to do. All I know is I can’t live like this. It’s fair to no one, not Cc, not my other female cat, and especially not my boy cat, who has a life-threatening illness attributed to stress.

What do I do? Is it possible to rehome her to a single cat household?
I would truly look into a single cat family with no children for this little one. The other option would be to try to get her use to these sounds and smells that set her off, put her in a room that can be closed off from the other cats and yourself as well. sit outside the room and introduce the sounds of cat fights, cat sounds that you find on your cell phone, and even the smells of other cats. Maybe after time she could learn to not react to these stimulus as she gets use to them and learn she is safe.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you get the outside animals to go elsewhere? Try spraying pieces of cioth with lemon scented furniture polish and scatter them around outside. They'll need to be refreshed. Or motion detection cat deterrents.

For your bored boy, do you have a several different styles of scratchers?

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys, I’ll reply to those who have messaged last, but right now I’m asking please send good vibes this way. Tuck just tried to pee and couldn’t, and strained for a few minutes/is licking himself. I’m terrified he’s blocked again and I’m getting really upset. I’m going to monitor him all night and call the vet first thing tomorrow :sniffle:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys, I’ll reply to those who have messaged last, but right now I’m asking please send good vibes this way. Tuck just tried to pee and couldn’t, and strained for a few minutes/is licking himself. I’m terrified he’s blocked again and I’m getting really upset. I’m going to monitor him all night and call the vet first thing tomorrow :sniffle:
Yes tons and tons of thoughts and prayers!!!