Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just googled "temporary catios" and HIT THE JACKPOT! All sizes, all price ranges! I'm putting the link for the "images" search...bet you can find something that might help there!

temporary catios - Google Search

I'm thinking about one0f these for Hekitty!

View attachment 320122 View attachment 320123
Omg!! Those are really awesome! I’d love to get one. Hopefully, if we ever get to a place of peace where I’m not scared to take him outside (due to Cc/the many loose animals running around my house) I can let him enjoy something like that

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one cat similar but not as severe. I spent more time with her introduced some trick training. She needed to know she wasn't the Queen when I was home. Leash walking, very interactive you're in control. Even if you do it indoors to start.. It made her feel more secure, builds up their confidence. Teaching tricks when to take treats from you etc Wand toy gets them to walk.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if I should post a separate thread somewhere for this question in particular, so someone please guide me in the right direction if so. Has anyone ever used one of those really large cat crates that are like 4 ft tall for their cat?I may be starting a new job, one where I’m gone all day, and with the way things are currently I can’t imagine leaving them all together in the house. I’m coming to the realization that if I lived somewhere else, a place without carpet and with doors that actually worked, half my current issues would be solved and my stress would be much less. If I had hardwood (so she couldn’t claw the carpet) and if I had doors that would shut all the way (the only space without carpet is my bathroom, which is decently big with a window and I would attempt to put her there, but the door doesn’t shut) then when away, I could leave her to her own devices in her own room. Unfortunately there’s no way for that to happen here, and I can’t move anytime soon. Is it inhumane to try to crate her? I almost can’t imagine it, but videos of those crates look really large. I’m just not sure what to do. Currently playing referee, and there isn’t even any redirected aggression as of late. Just interaggression because they hate each other now.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

What about baby gates, or some other method like an old screen door to block a door way? here are pictures;

Long Term Introduction Questions
I may try a gate but I have a feeling she’ll just sail right over it or attempt and then tear it down as a result. Either her or Lo. But it’s worth a shot!

The screen door is such a clever idea! And the large wiring behind the baby gate. Definitely gives me some new ideas!

Last edited:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a thread called "Gating the steps to protect the kittens!" on this site and on the second post by FeebysOwner there is a picture of using closet shelving available from Lowe's, Home Depot to make a gate out of. I don't know how to link to threads. I have used this idea and zip tied 2 shelves together. They come in 12 foot lengths and you can cut them to the length (would be height for this use) needed. I screwed in those metal eyes in the door frame to hold it in place and zip tied one side, not sure if you can do that if it's a rental, then had the eyes in the door frame and hooks on the shelves to open the other side to come and go from the room
It worked very well for me and is not that expensive. There's an article on the internet and I'll try and find it and put the link in a post.

I've also stacked baby gates in a doorway to the top of the doorway. I had to angle the top one since they needed to overlap, but that has worked too.

Last edited:

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if I should post a separate thread somewhere for this question in particular, so someone please guide me in the right direction if so. Has anyone ever used one of those really large cat crates that are like 4 ft tall for their cat?I may be starting a new job, one where I’m gone all day, and with the way things are currently I can’t imagine leaving them all together in the house. I’m coming to the realization that if I lived somewhere else, a place without carpet and with doors that actually worked, half my current issues would be solved and my stress would be much less. If I had hardwood (so she couldn’t claw the carpet) and if I had doors that would shut all the way (the only space without carpet is my bathroom, which is decently big with a window and I would attempt to put her there, but the door doesn’t shut) then when away, I could leave her to her own devices in her own room. Unfortunately there’s no way for that to happen here, and I can’t move anytime soon. Is it inhumane to try to crate her? I almost can’t imagine it, but videos of those crates look really large. I’m just not sure what to do. Currently playing referee, and there isn’t even any redirected aggression as of late. Just interaggression because they hate each other now.
OK here's link for the closet shelving idea: How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

There must be other ideas for how to attach to a door frame. I filled in the holes when I was done, painted, and you can't tell anything was ever there.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sister had this same problem--moving to a new home was the trigger. They tried everything including meds. In the end, they rehomed the cat to a home with no other pets...and they lived happily ever after. My sister made sure the new owners were aware of her aggression and they took her anyway. It all worked out and the cat was happy for the rest of her days.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sister had this same problem--moving to a new home was the trigger. They tried everything including meds. In the end, they rehomed the cat to a home with no other pets...and they lived happily ever after. My sister made sure the new owners were aware of her aggression and they took her anyway. It all worked out and the cat was happy for the rest of her days.
That’s so great that it worked out! I’m afraid I don’t believe my luck is that good, lol

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry you are having this problem. I have a cat, Diamond, that cannot be around other cats. I keep him in his own room, but I would let him out every day when I put the other cats in the bedroom. A TCS member suggested I get a cage and put it in the living area so that he can be better socialized. He spends about 8 hours every other day in there and every other day he gets free run of the house (by himself) for 4 to 6 hours. I think he's a lot happier. He gets to see all of us together. The other kitties sometimes lie in the chair next to him. And I think he might be making a little progress towards getting along with one cat. I tried Prozac, effective for 6 months, and then Elavil, effective for 1 month. He has other behavior problems and a heart condition, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, so I think re-homing would not be wise for Diamond.

Whatever option you choose, I hope it works out! :redheartpump:

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry you are having this problem. I have a cat, Diamond, that cannot be around other cats. I keep him in his own room, but I would let him out every day when I put the other cats in the bedroom. A TCS member suggested I get a cage and put it in the living area so that he can be better socialized. He spends about 8 hours every other day in there and every other day he gets free run of the house (by himself) for 4 to 6 hours. I think he's a lot happier. He gets to see all of us together. The other kitties sometimes lie in the chair next to him. And I think he might be making a little progress towards getting along with one cat. I tried Prozac, effective for 6 months, and then Elavil, effective for 1 month. He has other behavior problems and a heart condition, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, so I think re-homing would not be wise for Diamond.

Whatever option you choose, I hope it works out! :redheartpump:
Probably not. He's probably like that because he doesn't feel well. Cats are good at hiding illness, but other cats can still sense it and try to drive them out.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve used one that has two shelves inside and is about 5 feet tall I think. I still have it set up and open in my house because my blind kitten uses the litter boxes in it since she uses the towel on the bottom “door” as a place to orient herself. I’ve kept kittens in one for a few weeks but not for an extended period of time
3FDFD00A-A6C2-4868-BB69-D62905BE43A1.jpeg

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I used the cage/crate below for introducing my latest cat, who is 12 years old. It worked well for the other 2 to be able to approach her and sniff knowing she was contained. I would cover it in part also with towels to decrease visibility to make everyone more secure. Eventually Gracie (new senior kitty) got very tired of being in that space and complained a lot.
But it did serve its purpose and I have it for future introductions.
I think an active cat would not like this for very long.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I’m still trying to figure out a solution, but I don’t believe there is one, unless I had hardwood floors, at least. I’m having a hard time leaving my house and living my life normally knowing that there’s a high possibility that they’re going to fight, and I can’t diffuse the situation.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you worried about her digging under the door and ruining the carpet there? If so, you can get an office chair floor protector (the stiff plastic kind) and cut that to fit under the door, and leave a foot or so on each side. It's usually stiff enough that cats can't get under it.

You can also buy them pre-cut but I think cutting the large mat to fit gives more protection.