Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are stressed out. I’m so sorry. Care giving does take a toll on us at times. You’ve made so much progress but I know it’s hard to see when you are right in the middle of it. She has been calming some so please hang on. The thing is, once the calm is established, everything should get easier. Maybe not perfect or without rough days but we have those in life. Do try the other alternatives you mentiioned. If you ever get the medicine levels going in her, the rest should ease some. I know we all feel like turning things over to a helper sometimes. Me too. I get tired but it has gotten easier. Ups and downs some days. When it’s hard I remind myself what the alternative for the cat would be. Are they better off with or without me. Although it is possible to find an individual rescuer that could handle her, the general public might not be as great with her as you are. She knows you as her parent/family and trusts you beyond her own siblings. Can anyone else match that? It would have to be someone she found a true bond with when she met them. A few rescue groups focus on cats with health issues or special needs. Maybe you could find someone who has retired from that who is capable of what you have managed to do. You have a special touch with her. Most shelters where I live would not be willing to take her since they are over run with kitties. If you can work with her long enough to get her to a more adoptable state, you increase your chances greatly. I really do feel that it’s a matter of giving her time and stability in all you are doing. Many times with working through these things we take baby steps but .... we get there. I can assure you that I have seen similar things many times but the diligence not only worked but gave the human great happiness with a kitty who was more devoted to them than any other could be. Keep working through the current efforts and try other tempting things to get the pills in. You’re doing great! Follow through makes all the difference. Please keep us updated and we’ll be here. :alright::redheartpump:
Thank you so much for the support ♥

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still have a gazillion capsules and would not mind mailing a bunch, if you trust messaging me an address to send them to. I have no need for this many. May be faster than ordering?
Thank you so much, this was SO nice of you to offer ♥ I’ve since received them but still figuring out how I’ll give them to her. No luck yet, but I’m still trying

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really nice of you, pearl99 pearl99 :yess:
And once again, words of wisdom and caring, Jcatbird Jcatbird -- I remember when Baby Su first came to us, wandering on our desert land, far too small to fend for herself, and I scooped her up. She was hissy, spitty and claw-y, being feral. When I brought her in to the main house, she came in swinging, ready to take on all comers. Over time, she has learned that there is nothing but love, comfort and good care with us. But she was born feral and she will always exhibit some feral traits. She is only bonded to me, tolerates Tarifa, runs from Elvis, and is inclined to bite and swat at times when she feels threatened by me or Elvis, or even -- for unknown reasons -- Tarifa. I accept her as she is, love her with all my heart and soul, and am absolutely committed to her for life.
I really love hearing how committed others are to our furry friends, such as I am, but I’m afraid this really isn’t normal swatting or biting. I don’t say this from a place of anger towards her because I do love her, I’m only speaking facts. She gives no warnings with these attacks. She gives no time for anyone to retreat away from her. One minute she’s standing there, and within the blink of an eye she lunges. In fact, if you’re far away from her in the house, she’ll come find you with an intent to destroy. This is, of course, when she sees/smells/hears something that she thinks is an animal. Any other time, she’s not a timid cat, she’s not afraid of anything. I’ve had many cats my entire life, and I’ve never seen a cat behave this way. I’ve only seen a very aggressive dog behave in a similar way. One of my feet will never look normal, as I have too very long scars running across it, from one toe to the other. She’s never lived outside and has no reason to have feral tendencies. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe anyone should have to live this way. With a constant fear of someone even coming near your house and making any sort of noise. In the future, how am I ever supposed to start a family? There’d be no possible way a toddler/child could safely be around her. I’m currently basing my entire life and future around the life of my cat. Luckily for her, I love animals more than I love anything, and I am/have been extremely tolerant and doing everything I can to keep peace in my house, even though that can change in a second if there’s a trigger. I’m not giving up on her. I actually called a vet for a second opinion, one in the city over from me, and she said based on what she’s heard, this is definitely a behavioral problem, and one not likely to be associated with anything physical. So therefore my next step is to be more creative with trying to get the Prozac down, even though I’ve tried (literally) everything, and just playing peacemaker and referee. It’s going to be hard, but it’s what I’ll continue working towards.

Thank you for your support and comments, and everyone else as well ♥ I truly appreciate it

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm wondering if it would be possible for a friend of yours with no cats to take her on a trial basis to see how she does? Or for a rescue group to try her in a foster home with no other cats? She does sound like she might do better as an only cat. And might take some of the pressure off of you and your other cats if there's a lot of fighting going on. If you did decide to surrender her to a rescue, and it was determined that she could do okay as an only cat, that might give them an idea of how to place her.
Unfortunatley no, but I greatly wish. My aunt would take her for a trial, if she didn’t already have a cat. I contacted a rescue, but they never contacted me back

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lots and lots of good ideas here. However, after hearing about this morning, I'd be "over it"! This situation is absolutely unacceptable, and not fair (perhaps actually cruel) to subject your other cats to a terrorist. How horrible it must be for them to live in constant fear of being mauled, blinded, or even killed by this animal! Yes, I feel badly for your problem child, but this situation is calling for you to make a choice, and make it fast! It certainly sounds like there is something more than bad attitude going on here, and frankly, it doesn't sound fixable. Do you have several thousand dollars to have a brain scan done? When I inquired about this for one of my cats, the quote was somewhere between $4,000-$8,000. Are injectable meds a possibility? I understand how you feel, but you've given it your best and seems you are now out of options. I realize this is hard to hear or think about, but given the cat's apparent affliction, I wonder if euthanasia isn't the kindest thing you can do for her?

I have found that sometimes we just need someone to say it's okay, you've done everything you can and now must do what needs to be done, and no one will fault you for it. So sorry........
I definitely don’t, but I had thought about how great that would be if I could scan her brain. The vet I called for a second opinion said some cats are just wired differently, since her other 4 littermates (2 others with me, 2 with my grandmother) don’t behave this way. In the slightest. And she’s always been different. But, I’m going to continue working on her, and hopefully be able to see if behavior medication works.

Thank you for your reply, both vets I talked to said things very similar. However I just can’t do that. I’m thinking maybe, when I’m able to buy my own place within the next couple years, I can look for properties that maybe have an attached suite above the garage, a separate part of the house, or even a place for me to put a small “tiny house” building complete with windows and a porch, and make it her cat pad.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, this was SO nice of you to offer ♥ I’ve since received them but still figuring out how I’ll give them to her. No luck yet, but I’m still trying
I would use the smaller half of the capsule and stick the pill in there, with one capsule end open. But I had the 5mg tablets and they may have been smaller than yours- then I just put the capsule half with the pill in the the dry food and he didn't even know it was there. I always gave a small amount of dry food to make sure he ate it all, then gave more food after. I made sure it was at a time he would be hungry and really want to eat.
At first I wrapped it with a bit of the Tomlyn's pill masker goop stuff, and he loved that. Then I figured the half capsule thing and didn't need to use that. But that is bacon flavored- not all cats like that, but this guy loved it. I don't know why they don't make it in more cat friendly flavors.
Prozac is really bitter tasting, so crushing never worked.
Hopefully she will take the meds somehow!
And the new vet is helpful. :redheartpump:

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply, both vets I talked to said things very similar. However I just can’t do that. I’m thinking maybe, when I’m able to buy my own place within the next couple years, I can look for properties that maybe have an attached suite above the garage, a separate part of the house, or even a place for me to put a small “tiny house” building complete with windows and a porch, and make it her cat pad.
That is really great of you to think of that! Her own personal space.
I really agree about the toddlers/children with this cat the way things are now. Sure hoping for a way she can calm down and improve. You are great to be working with her :grouphug:

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously, thank you guys for the ideas, suggestions, links and support ♥ ♥
And...my daughter's cat had to be on meds for awhile for lots of anxiety and destructiveness, and the vet prescribed amitriptyline which was a very very small pill, so easier to hide in something. And it worked. I think Prozac is more used, but when talking to the new vet maybe ask about that?

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And...my daughter's cat had to be on meds for awhile for lots of anxiety and destructiveness, and the vet prescribed amitriptyline which was a very very small pill, so easier to hide in something. And it worked. I think Prozac is more used, but when talking to the new vet maybe ask about that?
I’ll definitely ask about that I think, thank you!

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have maybe a slightly unrelated question I was wondering if someone could give me advice on.

Apart from this huge problem that is really putting a strain on my life... my boy FLUTD cat, Tuck, is constantly meowing, scratching the walls, and just today kept trying to pick a fight with Cc until it turned into another cat brawl that I was able to diffuse. I don’t blame her this time. But WHY is he doing this? He’s peeing fine, he has food and water, I literally play with them constantly while I’m home and it works to distract him, until after about an hour when I stop to do other things and he goes back to meowing around the house, carrying his little sparkly ball around in his mouth, like he’s bored to death. I don’t know what else to do to entertain them. They have tons of toys, tunnels, a big box and a little box, a cat tree, multiple high places, all the rooms in my house are open where they can go to, I actually have blinds on a window open to day so he can look outside, I play with them all the time.... I guess it’s just too quiet in my house? And poor Lo, who never does anything or bother anyone, has been getting into the middle of all these fights and is now quick to hiss at them if they’re near her. They’re just absolutely not getting along. I feel like for this situation I’ve reached a ceiling of how I can entertain them and prevent these types of fights.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a way to take him for walks? I don't know your situation, maybe a catio? Or even a cat mesh tent so he's protected but able to experience the outdoors?
I wish I could, it’s cold here right now but when it’s warm I feel like he’d love walks. But I don’t think I could take him outside because then he’d smell different upon coming inside, and I just know that would set Cc off. Sigh. I really wish I could have a catio built but I rent

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And there is a chance that he is reacting to the stress in the house over your problem "child." Do talk with your vet about Prozac or some other medication. We've had MANY cats on here that have done quite well with it, and are now happy family pets.
This is true, that could definitely be part of it. Someone else, I think on here, said Prozac caused her FLUTD cat to block again :( I don’t think I’d risk it. I do have some Gabapentin on hand that I’m considering giving him, just to calm him down for a while. I mean, he’s meowing and prowling around 24/7. I really don’t understand. And he’s so incredibly jumpy and on edge.

A couple weeks ago after a fight Tuck had a big scratch wound behind his ear that I’ve been trying to heal, but it keeps itching so he’s dug a huge place and ripped all the hair out behind that ear, so I ordered some blue butter... and then today, I had to get tweezers and pull a nail out of the top of Cc’s head. This is truly driving me absolutely crazy :(

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
I write this with tears of frustration and sadness coming down my face and the cat in question in my lap.
I have 3 cats, all of whom were littermates. They’re 3 years old. One of my female cats has always been nuts. Her name is Cc (short for crazy cat, or crack cat my brother jokes) and she has very bad redirected aggression. She’s a loving and playful cat who loves her brother and sister.... until she sees another cat, smells another cat, hears another cat, hears a loud noise on the porch and assumes there’s another cat, among many others. While she’s always been “attacky” if a trigger is present, it’s gotten especially crazy within the last year. I pet a stray cat, didn’t get to the bathroom in time, thought I would need stitches after she attacked. Was locked in there for hours. I made a gasping noise because my other cat was trying to eat a piece of tape, I gently tried to wrestle him down to get it out of his mouth, and she attacked both of us. That time she hit a vein and I was bleeding so bad I have stains on my carpet. A neighbors cat was yowling outside last week, it tuned into a knock down drag out cat brawl between the three (due to her heightened state) which included chunks of hair being ripped out, nail husks embedded in backs, and face sores. I had to sit still on my bed and wait until it was over, lest I receive battle wounds, too. This morning, my washer made the screen door rattle, which sent her into attack mode on my boy cat, who was doing nothing. etc. etc. etc. My male cat also has FLUTD, which the vet emphasizes is very much triggered by stress. After she calms down, she’ll go back to her old self and try to be affectionate with them, but they want nothing to do with her now, with good reason.

I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried removing every trigger within my power. I’ve tried playing with them even more than I already do. I’ve tried giving her places to hide. I’m young and live alone, so my house is pretty quiet (I’m scared to breathe too loud). I’ve googled and googled and googled, and have done everything I’ve read/thought of. Took her to the vet, who prescribed liquid Prozac, but I’m having a very hard time getting it administered, since she doesn’t like anything except her dry cat food and cheese (wouldn’t eat the cheese with it, even tried doing it a little at a time).

I’m truly, truly at a loss. I’ve worked a long time to get rid of my panic attacks and have been successful for several years, but now they’re back. I’m scared in my own home. I’m scared to leave for work, afraid a situation will arise that I can’t help diffuse, and my boy cat will pay the price. The vet said she’s legally obligated to suggest euthanasia, but I don’t see how I could ever do that. My heart is broken enough as it is. She also said that she thinks she’d make a good transition as a barn cat, within a program who actually takes care of cats and wants the best for them. I have no idea what to do. All I know is I can’t live like this. It’s fair to no one, not Cc, not my other female cat, and especially not my boy cat, who has a life-threatening illness attributed to stress.

What do I do? Is it possible to rehome her to a single cat household?
Have you had the cat tested for a thyroid disorder? My cousin had a cat very similar to what you describe. But not only did she direct her anger at other cats in the home, but people too. I love cats and I was petrified of that dang thing. She would attack for seemingly no reason (although I am sure she had her reasons we hoomans did not understand). She put my Aunt in the hospital from one really bad attack. Right as my cousin was ready to have her put down the vet tested her thyroid and it was very low. Don't you know as soon as she got those thyroid meds into her, she was like a different cat, docile, loving, friendly. She was about four when this was discovered and went on to live another 12 lovely years. It just took the right vet to say something. From a human perspective my best friend was having severe almost crippling anxiety that came out of nowhere. Guess what fixed that? Thyroid meds. If not I do think rehoming to a single cat home but you don't know that the behavior won't replicate itself in a home with no other cats. You are assuming that it's just redirected aggression, but it could be redirected at owners if cats are not there. Good luck.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have given Walli medicine from a compound pharmacy, they make Rx into treat form
and since she wouldn't eat it on her own, I cut it up and put it in her dry food, she would eat it
like that I think because they don't always chew everything and just swallow a lot
If I grind meds up and put anything in her wet food she won't eat it, I am not able to handle her she is feral.
forgive me if someone already posted this or myself! ha ha

so anyway maybe you can cut the gabapentin into pieces and see if she will eat it that way
instead of grinding it up, Oh that's a thought too, you could cut it in pieces and put it in wet food
maybe that would work for you.

Walli is a long way to socializing she is very feral, one thing I have learned when I'm stressed she
gets stressed, It really is true!