Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happens if you just drizzle the liquid prozac over the dry cat food? I expect she would eat it, eventually. Its not like its a huge thing if the dosage varies from meal to meal a little bit -- which is going to happen anyway with most cats and liquid meds.

You can likely also get the pills and ground them into powder to sprinkle over the cat food. Prozac is not on the "do not crush list" for human meds. Of course, the "do not crush list" is something most doctors will never talk about because they don't want their patients to screw up and crush the wrong med, but many parents of kids that just cant/wont learn to take a pill know that there are many pills that are ok to crush, and prozac is apparently one of them. (There is a weekly variant of prozac that is on the do not crush list, but that is because its a slow release pill with enough med for a week).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What happens if you just drizzle the liquid prozac over the dry cat food? I expect she would eat it, eventually. Its not like its a huge thing if the dosage varies from meal to meal a little bit -- which is going to happen anyway with most cats and liquid meds.

You can likely also get the pills and ground them into powder to sprinkle over the cat food. Prozac is not on the "do not crush list" for human meds. Of course, the "do not crush list" is something most doctors will never talk about because they don't want their patients to screw up and crush the wrong med, but many parents of kids that just cant/wont learn to take a pill know that there are many pills that are ok to crush, and prozac is apparently one of them. (There is a weekly variant of prozac that is on the do not crush list, but that is because its a slow release pill with enough med for a week).
I’m going to try taking away food for a bit and then putting some on top... I don’t have much hope, but I’ll try anything at this point. I ordered cat pill pockets that are supposedly for liquid also, and if those don’t work, I’m going to attempt to syringe it to her. I hope that doesn’t cause mistrust/aggression. I can never tell.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our cat was similar as a kitten for the first 9 or so months she attacked pretty
much all the time. None of the things the vet suggested - cans with pennies in the etc worked. Once again I took her to the vet and this time, due to an experience with the dog, i asked them to do a full body x-ray. they don't do this for young cats, so you have to ask. Three of her vertebra were covered in arthritis and she wasn't even a year old. She was, of course allergic to the fancy, expensive metcap the vet gave her and I was trying to avoid cortisone for life (been there, done that) We put her on dasuquin (Chewy.com and other places sell it, it's cheap).

I give her a teaspoon of tuna every morning with the
powder from one capsule stirred into it. Others will freak over daily tuna, but
it was that or leave her in pain for the rest of her life or put her down.
Within a week, (it may take a bit longer) the attacking came under control. When she started an attack, one quick hiss from me, and she threw herself
away from me and attacked her own foot. There were no more attacks after that.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi C catluvs I'm really sorry that this reason is why you've come to join us - but I'm extremely glad that you did come. Welcome!

I'll start by telling you I have an aggressive cat. I've been bitten, bled, and more than once I've sat on the floor and cried. Often dumbfounded by his behavior. More than once I would swear he is schizoid. No joke. He has a screw loose. So I understand how you feel. The help I've received here the last year and a half has been amazing. They've saved more than one cats life, my sanity... among other things. Things have improved. Perfect - no - but improved greatly! So have hope. All is not lost!

I've read this thread over a few times now and you are in a tough spot for sure. Some of my responses will mirror that of others and I've broken my responses into categories to help with the reading. I also have a few questions, which, may help us all to break things down with you better.

Charlie is my hellion. I also have a nervous cat as well - Mia. 4 cats total - 3 litter mates - all all girls - former feral and ...Charlie - resident crazy pants. It's important to note that Charlie always had redirected aggression issues, very sensitive, dominate and insecure prior to the girls being brought in.

First though, there is you.

It's very important that you take care of you. For obvious reasons (your health matters a lot) and of course - some reasons that are not so obvious. No matter what, take the time out for you. Please. Breath. XOXOOXOXO

When you are stressed - the cats will feel it and play on it. More than once I had to go step outside or go into another room, cry and lose it and get calm before rejoining my crew. I know it's hard to stay calm while getting a chunk taking out of you or a cat biting at you - but it is important. Don't pull / yank your arm away hard and fast if she's got her teeth in you, you'll do more damage to yourself that way believe it or not. (you'll be ripping your skin - rather than a puncture.) The cat will also respond to this and most likely react worse out of being freaked out. At least that has been my experience. Try instead to use your other hand to distant her line of sight and get your body away at that point. Make sense? This isn't easy and take some practice!

Having a blanket or piece of hard cardboard close by as Jcatbird Jcatbird suggestion is an invaluable tool for separating you from the cat and cat from cat. Again, takes a bit of practice.

Medical issues/tests and the Vet:

You mentioned she got worse about a year ago. Do you recall at the time any changes that occurred. EG: Did it happen shortly after she came back from a vet visit? Or the other cats? Construction or added noises or difference in the area? New neighbor? Foods? Anything?

What tests, if any has the Vet done? Bloodwork? Urinalysis? Poop check? Any food changes - any thoughts about allergies?

K Kflowers makes good points and I can agree from dealing with more aggression from health issues in Charlie that went unknown.

I ask the last above as Charlie got to a point were he literally cornered a friend of mine and attacked her. No one was hurt but he literally cornered her and she couldn't move without fear of him attacking her. He had never done that before. Several trips to the vet and testing - turns out he had blood in his urine 4/4 and a really bacteria infection that took a few months of antibiotics to clear. (The color of his urine was always dark yellow and concentrated - so with my eyes - there was nothing visual for me to ID as blood. The Vet even agreed.) Absolutely ZERO and I mean ZERO signs. Peeing fine, eating fine , pooping fine. Which means - he was in PAIN. That was his way of letting us know something was wrong. Had it not been for the suggestions her for me to bring him back to the vet and insist on a few tests - I'd have never known. I can say in all honesty - I thought it was a waste of time and money to do it - but I trusted the people here and I took him - I'm forever grateful for that advice. Made him happier - and probably saved his life.

Charlie also has a food allergy - so between the inflammation and irritation from the allergy in his tummy and the bacteria infection - he was not a happy cat. He was a cat in pain that already had some aggression issues to start with. Really bad combo.

Prozac is an option - but if you an't get her to take it :-( I see you tried mixing it with her food but she's a bit smart for that it seems.
1. Never let her see you mess with her food lol (I have one that will *know* ever time too) and ...
2. Maybe add a topper of some sort of mask it? The trans-dermal that Sonatine Sonatine suggested is absolutely worth a shot. You trying to toss it down her throat with her disposition is going to leave you both with issues, at least at this stage IMHO.

Here is another thought and ask the vet as I'm not sure how this medication reacts with prozac.

There is something called Gabapentin. I use small doses of Gabapentin on two of my really nervous cats for when I bring them to the vet - I'll be lucky of I can get them into a carrier never mind the vet standing a chance examining them without it. Charlie has been prescribe it to be used on really bad days - I never do though but I know it's an alternative. It might be a short term alternative for you to? It does dope them up somewhat but it may give you the fighting chance to get the prozac into her without undo stress and / or relax her enough to allow you to work with her a bit. Then once the prozac is in the system tapper off? Just some thoughts there to ask the vet about.

MORE to come.

I'll post another post in a few minutes regarding environment and calming suggestions. I have to go drug one my darlings and I'll be right back! I wanted to at least post something to start with.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, sorry about that - It's been a crazy day.

I really feel for you as I know how rough this must be on you and the kitties. XOXOXOX I remember when mine was at it's worst how I felt, my anxiety was over the top and I was so frustrated as I just wanted my kitties to be happy and like you - I tried so hard and felt like I was failing them. Not a fun place to be. XOXOXOX

Environmental changes / modifications:

Height does help kitties with confidence and she does sound like a very nervous cat. Mia is my nervous nelly. Thankful not crazy like Charlie, simply very nervous. It took me months to get here to use his cat tree! She wouldn't climb it. Finally she did and there was a huge improvement with her being up higher.

Since you are not in a position to add shelving, rearranging furniture might be a good solution.Especially if you are in a small space. Any way to add storage crates. Maybe something like these:

Wooden Storage Crate, 16-in | Canadian Tire

Build yourself a weird bookshelves but at the same time giving her some "up room" in a pattern?

Anything you can do for her that gives her areas she can run up to when in a mood can help.

Calming ideas:

Feliway has worked great for many people. I can tell you that for me it made Charlie worse. To my surprise, apparently that can happen. I was disappointed but it was worth the try. For sure.

Music sometimes helps Charlie too. Harp music and music for cats. Strange but it helped. I keep it on during the day when the house is too quiet. Not loud, just soft background music.

Like you with your Cc, it seems it's often not the same remedy all the time. Playing can sometimes work for him, music others. It's hit and miss depending on the day. Once I sort out the "type" of mood he's in I can sort out what to do - it's taken some time to sort out what mood and what to use to help. It takes time to figure it out - but I believe you can!

Jcatbird Jcatbird once told me Charlie was a puzzle and we had some missing pieces with him. She was right. Once the little pieces started to get pulled together- his behaviors made more sense... and it wasn't just ONE issue - or two. It was many.. Cc sounds very much like this. She is a big puzzle with missing pieces. Once we get the pieces together it may start to make sense as Charlie did. He's still la work in progress but a workable puzzle and I think Cc is too!

We just have to sort out the mess of puzzle pieces Cc has choose to toss all over the floor and hide under the rug! There are answers. it's up to us to be the "detectives" and find them. You can do this! I know you can.

I'll have more thoughts as we progress through this with you - but we are here for you. Take some time to digest all this. Ask anything! There are no stupid questions.

"It takes a cat site to raise a cat!" Seriously LOL

As for the barn idea - I have to side with A ArtNJ - I don't think it's a good solution. This is an insecure cat - they aren't going to fair well outdoors especially since all she's know is you. Mia, was feral, she faired poorly outside. Way to nervous. The wind freaks out this cat - even inside if she hears it.

As for your vet - I'll try to be delicate here. Cc is 3 years old. I can't understand why they would say or suggest euthanasia for a challenged cat. If Charlies vet had ever said that to me it would have drove me to another vet to get him help tbh but I don't know how many times CC has been to the vet or other method they've used to help her so I'll remain open.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi C catluvs I'm really sorry that this reason is why you've come to join us - but I'm extremely glad that you did come. Welcome!

I'll start by telling you I have an aggressive cat. I've been bitten, bled, and more than once I've sat on the floor and cried. Often dumbfounded by his behavior. More than once I would swear he is schizoid. No joke. He has a screw loose. So I understand how you feel. The help I've received here the last year and a half has been amazing. They've saved more than one cats life, my sanity... among other things. Things have improved. Perfect - no - but improved greatly! So have hope. All is not lost!

I've read this thread over a few times now and you are in a tough spot for sure. Some of my responses will mirror that of others and I've broken my responses into categories to help with the reading. I also have a few questions, which, may help us all to break things down with you better.

Charlie is my hellion. I also have a nervous cat as well - Mia. 4 cats total - 3 litter mates - all all girls - former feral and ...Charlie - resident crazy pants. It's important to note that Charlie always had redirected aggression issues, very sensitive, dominate and insecure prior to the girls being brought in.

First though, there is you.

It's very important that you take care of you. For obvious reasons (your health matters a lot) and of course - some reasons that are not so obvious. No matter what, take the time out for you. Please. Breath. XOXOOXOXO

When you are stressed - the cats will feel it and play on it. More than once I had to go step outside or go into another room, cry and lose it and get calm before rejoining my crew. I know it's hard to stay calm while getting a chunk taking out of you or a cat biting at you - but it is important. Don't pull / yank your arm away hard and fast if she's got her teeth in you, you'll do more damage to yourself that way believe it or not. (you'll be ripping your skin - rather than a puncture.) The cat will also respond to this and most likely react worse out of being freaked out. At least that has been my experience. Try instead to use your other hand to distant her line of sight and get your body away at that point. Make sense? This isn't easy and take some practice!

Having a blanket or piece of hard cardboard close by as Jcatbird Jcatbird suggestion is an invaluable tool for separating you from the cat and cat from cat. Again, takes a bit of practice.

Medical issues/tests and the Vet:

You mentioned she got worse about a year ago. Do you recall at the time any changes that occurred. EG: Did it happen shortly after she came back from a vet visit? Or the other cats? Construction or added noises or difference in the area? New neighbor? Foods? Anything?

What tests, if any has the Vet done? Bloodwork? Urinalysis? Poop check? Any food changes - any thoughts about allergies?

K Kflowers makes good points and I can agree from dealing with more aggression from health issues in Charlie that went unknown.

I ask the last above as Charlie got to a point were he literally cornered a friend of mine and attacked her. No one was hurt but he literally cornered her and she couldn't move without fear of him attacking her. He had never done that before. Several trips to the vet and testing - turns out he had blood in his urine 4/4 and a really bacteria infection that took a few months of antibiotics to clear. (The color of his urine was always dark yellow and concentrated - so with my eyes - there was nothing visual for me to ID as blood. The Vet even agreed.) Absolutely ZERO and I mean ZERO signs. Peeing fine, eating fine , pooping fine. Which means - he was in PAIN. That was his way of letting us know something was wrong. Had it not been for the suggestions her for me to bring him back to the vet and insist on a few tests - I'd have never known. I can say in all honesty - I thought it was a waste of time and money to do it - but I trusted the people here and I took him - I'm forever grateful for that advice. Made him happier - and probably saved his life.

Charlie also has a food allergy - so between the inflammation and irritation from the allergy in his tummy and the bacteria infection - he was no a happy cat. He was a cat in pain that already had some aggression issues to start with. Really bad combo.

Prozac is an option - but if you an't get her to take it :-( I see you tried mixing it with her food but she's a bit smart for that it seems.
1. Never let her see you mess with her food lol (I have one that will *know* ever time too) and ...
2. Maybe add a topper of some sort of mask it? The trans-dermal that Sonatine Sonatine suggested is absolutely worth a shot. You trying to toss it down her throat with her disposition is going to leave you both with issues, at least at this stage IMHO.

Here in another thought and ask the vet as I'm not sure how this medication reacts with prozac.

There is something called Gabapentin. I use small doses of Gabapentin on two of my really nervous cats for when I bring them to the vet - I'll be lucky of I can get them into a carrier never mind the vet standing a chance examining them without it. Charlie has been prescribe it to be used on really bad days - I never do though but I know it's an alternative. It might be a short term alternative for you t? It does dope them up somewhat but it may give you the fighting chance to get the prozac into her without undo stress and / or relax her enough to allow you to work with her a bit. Then once the prozac is in the system tapper off? Just some thoughts there to ask the vet about.

MORE to come.

I'll post another post in a few minutes regarding environment and calming suggestions. I have to go drug one my darlings and I'll be right back! I wanted to at least post something to start with.
Thank you for your long reply! Although she’s always had aggression issues, I can really pinpoint a few things that really kicked them up: the first is right after her spay early last year, before she turned two. I know I know, it was late to get her fixed, but there’s a lot of factors that went into why that is. I thought that would solve the aggression she had, but no; it kicked it into high gear. I don’t even think it was because of the vet visit itself, because she’s been since then. I’m not really sure the reason. It may sound bad, but I miss when she wasn’t fixed, because that guaranteed me one week out of the month where I wouldn’t have to worry about her being an aggressive psycho. Second thing, I moved to a new house right after this. The transition was totally fine, and they all adjusted pretty quickly and great, which I was surprised by. All was decent, with only a couple light episodes, then... I decided to feed/pet a stray cat outside. I didn’t make it to the bathroom to wash off in time, she smelled me (she inspects me when I come in the house like a hound dog) and she started attacking. Now this next part is what I really, really regret, because I think it escalated everything to a new level. I did what they tell you to do on the internet and tried to gently put a blanket over her to carry her into a bedroom by herself, when she went NUTS. Absolutely wild and berserk. She of course got away from me, and that’s when I thought I’d need stitches after. She stalked me outside of the bathroom for hours on end, growling and howling every time I made a noise or moved, tried swiping me under the door. I had to call out of work. All was semi okay for a while.... until last week. I’m not sure if it was the fireworks/guns for New Years combined with a neighborhood cat yowling outside, but things have been very, very terrible since. I just don’t know that I can do it anymore. There are no triggers now, she just tried to attack both of my other cats, for no reason, for using the litterbox, etc. It’s not fair to subject my other cats to this torture for a couple more months while trying to figure out a system. But then, in between those things and my cats living in fear, she’ll come lay in my lap. It’s so bizarre, and I feel like it’s torture for her, too.

My vet gave me both a Prozac and a Gabapentin prescription but haven’t been successful with getting her to eat anything with either of them :( she’s supposed to call me again tomorrow. My last shot are pill pockets that can also be used for liquid that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. The vet didn’t do any sort of tests whil I was there last week, I wish I would have requested a few things. I was just terrified at how she’d react, although I’m sure they’ve seen it all. I don’t really have the money to take her back so soon, or the money for the full panel of tests. I just don’t know what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've received some incredible advice, and a lot of effort is going into the thoughts and information that's being given to you.

Please take a few moments to read, and really absorb, this article. It isn't lengthy, and as you scroll down you will see sections on anti-anxiety meds for cats.

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom that's an awesome article too!

Thank you for your long reply! Although she’s always had aggression issues, I can really pinpoint a few things that really kicked them up: the first is right after her spay early last year, before she turned two. I know I know, it was late to get her fixed, but there’s a lot of factors that went into why that is. I thought that would solve the aggression she had, but no; it kicked it into high gear. I don’t even think it was because of the vet visit itself, because she’s been since then. I’m not really sure the reason. It may sound bad, but I miss when she wasn’t fixed, because that guaranteed me one week out of the month where I wouldn’t have to worry about her being an aggressive psycho.
Anytime.

No judgement on the late fixing - life happens.

Funny enough I've often blamed Charlies aggression on either his fixing or the rabies shot, it was after his fixing that this behavior began for him too. I think they gave him his second set of shots at the same time as well. He was young when he was fixed. I've not been able to find enough research about having a cat fixed and aggressive issues to truly understand it. The rabies shot - there are many cases of personality changes, rare, but documented. I'd love to know if fixing can cause this and if that is the root cause - steps to help it. No idea at this point.

It doesn't sound bad - you want your sweet kitty back. Anyone can understand that. I totally get it. Charlie was lovable until then. it was at that point it started. I miss my lovable cat too. I've accepted who he is - but I can't say it doesn't break me a bit sometimes.

Second thing, I moved to a new house right after this. The transition was totally fine, and they all adjusted pretty quickly and great, which I was surprised by. All was decent, with only a couple light episodes, then... I decided to feed/pet a stray cat outside. I didn’t make it to the bathroom to wash off in time, she smelled me (she inspects me when I come in the house like a hound dog) and she started attacking. Now this next part is what I really, really regret, because I think it escalated everything to a new level. I did what they tell you to do on the internet and tried to gently put a blanket over her to carry her into a bedroom by herself, when she went NUTS. Absolutely wild and berserk. She of course got away from me, and that’s when I thought I’d need stitches after. She stalked me outside of the bathroom for hours on end, growling and howling every time I made a noise or moved, tried swiping me under the door. I had to call out of work.
Sounds like she went through a lot of changes at once. That probably flipped her out a lot.

HAHA Charlie does the same. I've learned the hard way - no reaching to pet him if I was near an unknown. He sometimes would attacked my leg - super vicious. I would have to yell "OW!" or "NO!" and he would back off but still stare at my leg like it was a three course meal and stalk me. I then would speak very low to him and get a toy to toss and redirect his attention right quick!

Oh the blanket thing - yeah- I tried that with Braveheart once to get her inside the first time - she went mental too. I've got scars on my arm from that. I'll never do that again and she has not forgotten it. I go near her with a blanket now and she's gone. Poof like a rocket. While Mia likes a blanket over her head if she's scared. Weird cats. Not fun.

BTW I also live in a quiet house. Not too much hussle bustle.

All was semi okay for a while.... until last week. I’m not sure if it was the fireworks/guns for New Years combined with a neighborhood cat yowling outside, but things have been very, very terrible since. I just don’t know that I can do it anymore. There are no triggers now, she just tried to attack both of my other cats, for no reason, for using the litterbox, etc. It’s not fair to subject my other cats to this torture for a couple more months while trying to figure out a system. But then, in between those things and my cats living in fear, she’ll come lay in my lap. It’s so bizarre, and I feel like it’s torture for her, too.
I understand the wits end thing too. Charlie does / did the same. I used to call him the "litterbox stalker". I've had to train him by telling him NO firmly when I see it - he gets it - it took a while but he's almost out of that bad habit. It didn't take too long - and now it's a rare thing he does... rather than all the time.

There is a reason - this I am sure of.

I can't tell you what to do but honestly I wouldn't give up just yet. I can promise you we will all be here to help, be ears, give suggestions etc. I've seen first hand a major change in Charlie. I know it's totally possible.

So much of what you write is a mirror of Charlie and the kitties a year ago. XOXOXOX He's still a goof but the improvements are major. (BTW he has stress Crystals too.) The other cats do still live in a bit of fear but I have faith that with more time - it's going to be at minimum acceptable.

One second great kitty - next second "Charlie!!! - what the helk!" Roller coaster ride.

My vet gave me both a Prozac and a Gabapentin prescription but haven’t been successful with getting her to eat anything with either of them :( she’s supposed to call me again tomorrow. My last shot are pill pockets that can also be used for liquid that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. The vet didn’t do any sort of tests whil I was there last week, I wish I would have requested a few things. I was just terrified at how she’d react, although I’m sure they’ve seen it all.
I understand. Many times I've been at the vet and leave and go "why didn't I do, ask ... etc. " sometimes because I'm so stressed out I go blank. Now I take notes with me as otherwise I'll freeze up and forget. Usually from anxiety.

Try this with the gabapentin (if it's capsules you can open or a pill you can crush. You gotta be quick but it's the ONLY way I can get it into Braveheart.

I take a tiny bit of wet food or butter, yup, butter, I mean like a finger nail size. I mix it fully with the gabapentin (gaba-gaba-doo as I call it lol) . Get her just when she's feeling rest and stick it in the inside of her cheek. Once I put the butter on her paw and by put - I mean rubbed it so she couldn't shake it off and was forced to lick it off. Not fun - but it works.

I don’t really have the money to take her back so soon, or the money for the full panel of tests. I just don’t know what to do.
Furballsmom Furballsmom beat me too it. Check those links out - seriously - see if any would apply to you. I really hope they do.

XOXOXOXOXOXOX

I'm off to bed - early work tomorrow but I will come back and check in. Sleep on it. Think about things. Spend some time resting and relaxing. De-stress. You're worth it!

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I truly, truly appreciate everyone’s replies so far. I’m gonna throw another thing out here, and see what you guys say...

The more I sit and think, the more I don’t understand. Like I said, she’s always had redirected aggression, and that I can understand. After calming down, even if that took an entire day, she was fine again until the next trigger. This.... idk. Maybe I made a mistake when I didn’t demand she get a blood text or an X-ray. The past month, especially the past week, it’s like she’s had a mental break. She’s always stalking through the house completely in fight or flight, twitching and ears rotating, jumping at every little thing, then charging at my other two cats several times in passing until they go hide. She’s been going under the bed more, they all do that, but she never used to. Completely litter box territorial, which is completely new. She’s never done that before that I’ve seen, starting a week or two ago. My cats really don’t like her at this point. And between this aggression, she’s snuggly. She’s eating/drinking/going to the bathroom fine, and early in the morning around 5-7 am (I have insomnia, thanks anxiety) she gets in a playful mode and hides in the tunnel before speeding out and running about the house. So it appears there’s moments she feels good, and not angry. However, she’s also been more vocal at night (so is my boy cat always, I haven’t thought that much of it). Now, the whole reason I’m writing this paragraph, she just tried to start a cat fight which I was able to diffuse with treats, went to the other side of the house, then came back into my room meowing. Then tried to lick my boy cats face, whom she just tried to attack not too long ago. Then they both were cuddling with me. Then, he got up normally, and went in the living room to scratch. I got up very calmly, to calmly stop him, but then she tried to attack again. She almost attacked me as well. I stood there still and calm, and after a minute held out my hand for her to lick, then diffused the situation again with treats. A few minutes after that, she went back to Tuck’s (my boy cat) face to try and lick him again. GUYS. WHAT THE HECK?
It’s all so weird, and while I did mention all this to the vet, she didn’t seem that there needed to be any sort of tests done, just vaguely checked her out. I wish I had the money to take her back again and order tests, but after an emergency vet trip for my boy cat on a Saturday in November, his check ups and medicine, expensive new urinary cat food, her vet visit, and over 100 dollars for both the Prozac and several refills of Gabapentin.... I can’t. I just graduated college in December. I’m in a hard place. I already have a decent stretch on care credit, and am scared my boy cat will get blocked again and I’ll need that to save his life.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it seems like there are no triggers but there are. Sometimes they are so subtle we don’t pick up on them. Is that stray still outside? Even an animal outside can be detected by your cat. I know you need calm. Do you drink Chomomile tea? You might try shutting yourself away and doing something you find calming when you feel like popping with anxiety. Many of us have experienced huge stress and have anxiety bouts too. Please know that you are not alone in any of this. Please don’t give up. TCS is here to help and in many situations and we have guided people through very aggressive kitty issues to a happy conclusion and as F FeralHearts said, It really is like being a detective and putting the pieces of the puzzle together to figure out why Cc is reacting this way. Cats are not thinking the same way as a human. They don’t want to hurt us, seeming crazy is really reacting out of fear, pain, being protective of themselves, you, other kitties, territory or just being sick and undiagnosed. I think I am already seeing some small indicators. You said the aggression existed before but escalated after the Spay and more after the move. You also mentioned she hates your brother. To me, I think of her being insecure and fearful during these times. When she becomes aggressive, do you tell her to stop, run to help or just how do you manage to get through that? The information you give can help us all to try and decipher this. Has anyone else ever taken care of her for you or been alone with her? Is the vet male? Sometimes kitties are only comfortable with humans who are the same gender as their human.
We are just getting to know Cc so please give us time to ask questions and help you to work through this. If you feel stressed then just walk away and do something else for now. Talk to all the kitties with the calmest voice you can manage no matter what they do. Get that big piece of cardboard I mentioned and hang on. We are all working to help you. You keep posting here too. Especially if you feel anxious. We all care about you and the kitties. :heartshape: There are a great many options still out there to try. Hold on to Hope.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She almost attacked me as well. I stood there still and calm, and after a minute held out my hand for her to lick, then diffused the situation again with treats.
You're helping her to become more calm, by you literally being still and calm. as Jcatbird Jcatbird mentioned, chamomile tea can help you to maintain your own calm.

There's nothing in those financial aid links?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will reply more in the morning but I wanted to say - please do not beat yourself up. We trust the vets, and sometimes we forget to ask things - ll sorts of stuff. Not your fault. You are doing the best you can with what tools, knowledge and fiances you have.

I give Charlie this:

As he has crystals - and I worry constantly about blockages too. Scares me to death!.

That bottle will last 3 -4 months on your guy. It makes them pee more to help keep them unstuck. (and he likes it mixed with his food) and trust me when I say - kind of a miracle as he is a picky eater - and I do mean picky! (Took me three year to get him to try a new food to help his allergies - no joke.)

There are other supplements you can use if you don't like that one - for the life of me I'm drawing a blank atm. I'll try to recall for tomorrow.

I'll add more tomorrow - for tonight I send you love and healing vibes!

:heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the articles, the one on anxiety was really insightful, I just don’t think any of those things apply to me/Cc. Besides maybe her spat last year, maybe possibly the move, but she was fine for a couple months after the move with no problems, so I can’t see that being a factor. I live alone, my house is quiet, I play with them a large amount (Tuck demands it) they have 4 litter boxes, food in two different places in the house, water everywhere (trying to get Tuck to drink as much as possible for FLUTD), a cat tree, some hiding places, soft beds and pads. I have my issues with anxiety, but they’re rarely outwordly projected, I’m not sure if they can still pick up on that.... any outward anxiety currently is due to her behavior, although I’m making a strong effort to appear calm. Sometimes I think it’s too quiet, so I usually have the tv on softly or, at the moment, freezing with the fan on my A/C window unit on because I believe the steady white noise helps out immensely with drowning out any outside noises that can trigger her. The only possible thing (besides medical) I can think that could cause her stress is seeing neighborhood cats (I monitor window time, then shut all blind when I leave) or hearing cats/noises outside and, well, there’s really nothing I can do about that, besides deny her viewing access and keep my fan on. Currently, no animal is near as far as I can tell. That’s another side note... she used to be semi okay with seeing a cat outside, it was the smell she freaked over. But now any little noise she thinks is a cat, even if it isn’t.

As for the financial links, I read a few similar when Tuck had to go to the emergency vet, but I don’t think any of them would work (besides care credit, which I managed to get) and don’t have Facebook or a community for waggle. But I’ll deep dive into some more to see if I’d be eligible for anything.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our posts crossed. I know the up and down seems weird but there is an answer to why she does it. I’ve brought in over 100 wild cats in the past couple of years. One female had me so wary that at first I called ed her Viscious! It later turned out that she had very good reason to act like she did. We may not realize it but the cats learn to survive and have strong instincts that can cause them to retain things that caused a survival instinct to kick in. Even that move could have a lasting effect until she feels totally secure again. When I figured it out I was blown away that I had not known and assumed she would not be a cat I could rescue. When I began to understand, I altered how I worked with her and changed her name. Her name is now Flowers and she is completely different. She has never acted aggressive since I put the puzzle pieces together. She is no longer feral. She is living inside and one of my sweet babies, although a timid if others are here.
Check those links to financial services. Many help with people who are under a certain income. It’s not always credit services either. Some state, Humane societies and caring groups will help in order to give you a better chance to keep your kitty with you. Believe it or not, lots of good people are out there and care.
The fact that your kitty is showing affection to the other cat is a very good sign. She also, obviously, really loves you and is putting her trust in you to help her. She only had you to turn to but you have lots of people on your side in your efforts to save your precious girl and give her a happy life with you all. I applaud all you are doing for your kitties. I always say that a kitty guardian is a kitty hero. Just keep taking kitten steps, you’re doing great. :clap2:

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it seems like there are no triggers but there are. Sometimes they are so subtle we don’t pick up on them. Is that stray still outside? Even an animal outside can be detected by your cat. I know you need calm. Do you drink Chomomile tea? You might try shutting yourself away and doing something you find calming when you feel like popping with anxiety. Many of us have experienced huge stress and have anxiety bouts too. Please know that you are not alone in any of this. Please don’t give up. TCS is here to help and in many situations and we have guided people through very aggressive kitty issues to a happy conclusion and as F FeralHearts said, It really is like being a detective and putting the pieces of the puzzle together to figure out why Cc is reacting this way. Cats are not thinking the same way as a human. They don’t want to hurt us, seeming crazy is really reacting out of fear, pain, being protective of themselves, you, other kitties, territory or just being sick and undiagnosed. I think I am already seeing some small indicators. You said the aggression existed before but escalated after the Spay and more after the move. You also mentioned she hates your brother. To me, I think of her being insecure and fearful during these times. When she becomes aggressive, do you tell her to stop, run to help or just how do you manage to get through that? The information you give can help us all to try and decipher this. Has anyone else ever taken care of her for you or been alone with her? Is the vet male? Sometimes kitties are only comfortable with humans who are the same gender as their human.
We are just getting to know Cc so please give us time to ask questions and help you to work through this. If you feel stressed then just walk away and do something else for now. Talk to all the kitties with the calmest voice you can manage no matter what they do. Get that big piece of cardboard I mentioned and hang on. We are all working to help you. You keep posting here too. Especially if you feel anxious. We all care about you and the kitties. :heartshape: There are a great many options still out there to try. Hold on to Hope.
She likes my dad, but I do think she’s more comfortable with females. My vet that she’s seen thus far is female. She’s never really been around males. My brother has never been alone with her, I think she just picks up on his dislike of her in general. I learned very quickly that telling her no or anything in a stern voice when she gets like that is a big negative, and causes me to get in the line of fire. When these episodes happen, I don’t move, I stay still, if I can get on my bed or the couch and wait it out I will, and then when there’s a break in the chaos I can sometimes maneuver her into a room by herself for a while. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn’t.

Oh how I wish I could lock myself away for a bit. But closed doors makes them ALL anxious. They scratch and scratch at it, which could possibly set her off, as well. So other than work, I just do what I can in the open