Sweet cat with redirected aggression, please help: euthanasia may be the only option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support guys, you’ve made me feel better through this time. Fingers crossed for the future.

Anyone who’s had their cat on Prozac: I know it takes like, 6-8 weeks for true behavior changes, but how long did it take to notice some kind of change/what were they? As in, do they sleep a lot the first couple weeks? It may be bad, but I’m hoping that it’ll make her sleep more, at least until the medicine makes her relax a bit

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's such great news about the "Temptation" Pockets. :redheartpump:

Prozac comes up from time to time on the threads, so I did a site search, and here's a link with all the threads with "Prozac" in the title. Maybe one, or more, of them will be helpful.

Search Results for Query: prozac
Thank you! After reading a bit, 10mg a day sounds pretty high, but I suppose it’s because of the level of aggression she has

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support guys, you’ve made me feel better through this time. Fingers crossed for the future.

Anyone who’s had their cat on Prozac: I know it takes like, 6-8 weeks for true behavior changes, but how long did it take to notice some kind of change/what were they? As in, do they sleep a lot the first couple weeks? It may be bad, but I’m hoping that it’ll make her sleep more, at least until the medicine makes her relax a bit
I had a cat on it and I noticed a very small difference after a week (my imagination?) but the full effect was not until 5-6 weeks. The time leading up to that there was noticeable change but the full effect was 5-6 weeks.
At first he slept some more, seemed calmer, then slept more and more and more calm till the full effect. Those were the two effects- but he had different issues. He had no side effects.
Yay on the Temptation pocket!! I've never had a cat that would eat the store bought pill pockets :headscratch:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave Prozac at night so that the more sedating effects happened when he should be sleeping. Yet I noticed during the day he was sleepy and not playful. I would be really concerned about a 10mg dosage. Both my aggressive cat and cat who sprayed where only on 2.5 mg to start and then one went briefly up to 5 mg. It's always best to start with the lowest dosage possible and slowly work up. My cats would have never awakened if I had given them 10 mg.

I noticed a difference in the spraying within a few days. Yet as for aggression, it took the full 8 weeks. Even though the aggressive cat was very very sleepy from the Prozac he still was not himself. It was hard to watch him in such a stupor. After 8 weeks, changes did happen.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave Prozac at night so that the more sedating effects happened when he should be sleeping. Yet I noticed during the day he was sleepy and not playful. I would be really concerned about a 10mg dosage. Both my aggressive cat and cat who sprayed where only on 2.5 mg to start and then one went briefly up to 5 mg. It's always best to start with the lowest dosage possible and slowly work up. My cats would have never awakened if I had given them 10 mg.

I noticed a difference in the spraying within a few days. Yet as for aggression, it took the full 8 weeks. Even though the aggressive cat was very very sleepy from the Prozac he still was not himself. It was hard to watch him in such a stupor. After 8 weeks, changes did happen.
I’ll see how it affects her and then maybe call the vet to see if I can do half a pill a day. I’ll be honest, I’m not really worried about a change in her personality though, because my poor girl doesn’t really have any personality traits besides anxious and angry. Anxious cuddly angry. She’s never been like any cat I’ve ever met. Hopefully, the Prozac will even allow her true self to shine

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, dat 2 of temptations pockets were a no go :( ugh. I was so frustrated, I just syringed her dose in her mouth. She’s really mad, and I think that our tentative trust is now gone. Question, though, the pill is 10mg, and my liquid dose is .31ml? Isn’t that more than the equivalent to the pill? If anyone knows

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, dat 2 of temptations pockets were a no go :( ugh. I was so frustrated, I just syringed her dose in her mouth. She’s really mad, and I think that our tentative trust is now gone. Question, though, the pill is 10mg, and my liquid dose is .31ml? Isn’t that more than the equivalent to the pill? If anyone knows
It depends on how many milligrams are in a milliliter of the liquid. What does the liquid label say?

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I get 6.2mg dosage with 0.31ml. A 10mg dose would be 0.5ml.
Thank you! Interesting. Wonder why the contradicting doses. I definitely made sure to ask if she got the whole pill when she wrote the script, and she said the whole thing. Kind of strange.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sorry if you’ve said this already, but did you give by pill/liquid? How’d it work? She really fought with me today (but no attacking) so I didn’t get anything in her :( and I feel extremely horribly because she hasn’t been affectionate with me, at all. I’m not sure what else to do. Besides try transdermal, but I feel like this vet no longer wants to help

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave a tablet. Yet I was only giving 2.5 mg. I got the prescription at Walmart. They were 10mg tablets that I cut into fourths. When I first started to give it, I had read the tablets were very very bitter. I bought very small gelatin capsules and put the tablet inside. I was then able to use pill pockets, Tomlyn pill masker (bacon flavored) or squish between plain cooked chicken. My cats took it easily.

With the liquid, have you tried mixing it into baby food. Gerber chicken or turkey is known as "kitty crack". Cats love it. It's in a small glass jar with a blue label. Only ingredients are chicken or turkey, water and modified food starch. NO salt, spices or onion.

Also tuna juice works well to mix.

If your current vet will not help, try to find someone else. There should be no reason a vet would not help in a situation like this.

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave a tablet. Yet I was only giving 2.5 mg. I got the prescription at Walmart. They were 10mg tablets that I cut into fourths. When I first started to give it, I had read the tablets were very very bitter. I bought very small gelatin capsules and put the tablet inside. I was then able to use pill pockets, Tomlyn pill masker (bacon flavored) or squish between plain cooked chicken. My cats took it easily.

With the liquid, have you tried mixing it into baby food. Gerber chicken or turkey is known as "kitty crack". Cats love it. It's in a small glass jar with a blue label. Only ingredients are chicken or turkey, water and modified food starch. NO salt, spices or onion.

Also tuna juice works well to mix.

If your current vet will not help, try to find someone else. There should be no reason a vet would not help in a situation like this.
Thank you, I haven’t yet tried baby food, I’ll pick some up. But she won’t eat anything besides her dry cat food. I’ve tried it in plain canned chunk chicken that I microwaved a tad to mask the smell, a little chicken broth, cheese (which she’ll eat, just not with the meds) pill pockets, pasty cat treats that come in a skinny pouch, temptations which she loves, I’m definitely running out of ideas. Hopefully her skipping the meds today will be alright, and I’ll definitley be attempting the capsules as well

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to wrap the tablet in the smallest treat I could. I then often gave a small bowl with the prozac wrapped treat and a few pieces of kibble. They usually ate it right up. Sometimes I even stuck a piece of kibble to the pill pocket.