Suspicious growth on my cats cheek

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted my 6 year old cat 3 months ago, and just recently noticed this fleshy feeling bump on him. He did not have it when I adopted him. He constantly scratches it, and he is an indoor cat and has no injury to the area. The color worries me.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would advise you to take him to the vet to get it checked out. They might aspirate it (which means to take a small sample of cells using a syringe and look at it under the microscope), or they might recommend a biopsy. Hopefully, the growth is totally harmless. But I do think he should be seen by a vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In addition to what abyeb abyeb has suggested - which is the best way to go - since you say he is scratching it, is there any possibility he could have gotten a tick? They can get inside the home, you know? It is possible a cyst or benign tumor could itch, but not as likely as some sort of parasite. It could also be some sort of fungal or bacterial infection - again less likely with an indoor cat, but not impossible.

Until you get him into see a vet, try a chamomile tea bag (standard grocery store varieties, which are typically German - you don't want English, and you don't want any additives), brew it in water, cool the liquid, and then dab it on the spot with a cotton ball. You can do this several times a day - the tea has both soothing and healing properties. It might at least help with the itching, and it is safe if he should lick it from his paws.