Suspected Ringworm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He’s a darling ❤ Glad to see him improving.

Yeah kittens are easy to manipulate. My cat who caught it hates baths so it’s going to be challenging keeping her in all that shampoo for 10 minutes since she’ll try to run away. My bf can’t help because the cat is scared of him. So it’s just me.

It’s terrifying to see the lesion get bigger than it was first discovered.

Did you separate/isolate this kitten? I don’t know if it’s still necessary to do so since we were all exposed already at this point.

My apartment is small so it’s not possible to separate everyone. I have a spare room but that is also where I keep our clothes.

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s a darling ❤ Glad to see him improving.

Yeah kittens are easy to manipulate. My cat who caught it hates baths so it’s going to be challenging keeping her in all that shampoo for 10 minutes since she’ll try to run away. My bf can’t help because the cat is scared of him. So it’s just me.

It’s terrifying to see the lesion get bigger than it was first discovered.

Did you separate/isolate this kitten? I don’t know if it’s still necessary to do so since we were all exposed already at this point.

My apartment is small so it’s not possible to separate everyone. I have a spare room but that is also where I keep our clothes.
I didn’t separate them. I made sure to keep everythingsuper clean though. Washed their bedding andfood bowls every day. Vacuumed, disinfected hard surfaces and the couches every day. Kept the environment clean as much as I could every day to keep things from spreading. But that brings me back to my original question, did my cat really have ringworm? Everyone claims it’s highly contagious, but how come no one else got it? We had him for a week and a half before we noticed it and got it diagnosed. So he had been sleeping with us, cuddling, all over my house. I don’t have ringworm, the other cats don’t, neither does my fiancé, and it’s been 5 weeks.
And yea, we didn’t isolate him because the only rooms we had to keep him in we’re carpeted. And it says to keep them off carpet. Plus we felt that everyone was already exposed at that point, might as well leave everyone together.

over the weekend we decided to put our house back together and open up all of our doors. Letting all the cats have free run of the house again. And I’m going to clean every other day now.

can you take pictures of your cats lesions?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ll try to get a picture when I can. My cat won’t stay still long enough for me to get a good shot. Usually I just keep her still long enough to apply the cream and she runs off. She must hate it so much.

So I notice there are tiny hairs beginning to grow on the lesion. The lesion is not crusty although the crust seems to be forming around the edges around the original spot. Does it mean the lesion is actually healing?

I’m with you on the separation thing too. Before I discovered the bald spot I was even sleeping with her on my bed and cuddling her on our sofa. So I was thinking if it was even practical to even isolate her now *shrug*

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ll try to get a picture when I can. My cat won’t stay still long enough for me to get a good shot. Usually I just keep her still long enough to apply the cream and she runs off. She must hate it so much.

So I notice there are tiny hairs beginning to grow on the lesion. The lesion is not crusty although the crust seems to be forming around the edges around the original spot. Does it mean the lesion is actually healing?

I’m with you on the separation thing too. Before I discovered the bald spot I was even sleeping with her on my bed and cuddling her on our sofa. So I was thinking if it was even practical to even isolate her now *shrug*
try to get a pic! It could be helpful.

hair loss is a sign of ringworm. Because the spores feed off the hair. So if hair is growing back, that’s good. But don’t stop treatment. Keep going. Vets recommend that you keep treating 2 weeks passed clinical cure. Which is basically 2 months and 2 weeks. I know it’s a lot, but you don’t want to stop because it can come back.

and yes, it’s been a real struggle not being able to cuddle or bond with my new kittens. Even the adult cats were getting angry. All of my cats are super cuddly and needy. So it’s been hell here the past 5 weeks 😭

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
try to get a pic! It could be helpful.

hair loss is a sign of ringworm. Because the spores feed off the hair. So if hair is growing back, that’s good. But don’t stop treatment. Keep going. Vets recommend that you keep treating 2 weeks passed clinical cure. Which is basically 2 months and 2 weeks. I know it’s a lot, but you don’t want to stop because it can come back.

and yes, it’s been a real struggle not being able to cuddle or bond with my new kittens. Even the adult cats were getting angry. All of my cats are super cuddly and needy. So it’s been hell here the past 5 weeks 😭
I know right! I used to brush them both daily because they love it but after I learned how nasty this issue is, I have stopped doing so. It makes me feel bad because they’d be laying on the kitchen rug expectantly and I just....pat them a few times instead of getting the brush from the drawer. They even know where the brush is kept and they would wait there for me 😭

Your house must be really big if your have 5 cats + 2 new kittens. I know I may get one more if I lived in a bigger house :)

In April this year I had separate them because of a stray cat incident. They remained separated until September when they finally decided to be friends again. It was stressful back then but I think it hits harder now because I’m separating friends :(

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know right! I used to brush them both daily because they love it but after I learned how nasty this issue is, I have stopped doing so. It makes me feel bad because they’d be laying on the kitchen run expectantly and I just....pat them a few times instead of getting the brush from the drawer. They even know where the brush is kept and they would wait there for me 😭

Your house must be really big if your have 5 cats + 2 new kittens. I know I may get one more if I lived in a bigger house :)
make sure you wash your hands really good after petting them. And get a new brush as well. Not to make you paranoid, but anything that’s touched the cat with ringworm should be disinfected and if it can’t be, throw it out.

yea. We have a 1500 sqft house lol. When I didn’t have all the cats isolated in one place, you couldn’t tell I have 7 cats. They would all be in different rooms. But the past month, they’ve all been in the same area and LORD, it’s a lot 🤣

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
make sure you wash your hands really good after petting them. And get a new brush as well. Not to make you paranoid, but anything that’s touched the cat with ringworm should be disinfected and if it can’t be, throw it out.

yea. We have a 1500 sqft house lol. When I didn’t have all the cats isolated in one place, you couldn’t tell I have 7 cats. They would all be in different rooms. But the past month, they’ve all been in the same area and LORD, it’s a lot 🤣
Ok here’s a pic I just took. Big image warning
FD06A727-5AAA-49F1-A667-F9F99C87529C.jpeg

Does it look like it’s getting better? I really hope so.

Lol I’m imagining a cat party when all of them are gathered at one place. Must be fun. Are your cats good with your fiancé too? Only one of mine gets along with him. This one Meimey is afraid of him for 6 years until now 🤣 I don’t even know why.

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok here’s a pic I just took. Big image warning
View attachment 311675
Does it look like it’s getting better? I really hope so.

Lol I’m imagining a cat party when all of them are gathered at one place. Must be fun. Are your cats good with your fiancé too? Only one of mine gets along with him. This one Meimey is afraid of him for 6 years until now 🤣 I don’t even know why.
I dont have any experience with them getting bigger. Thankfully my cats healed up pretty quickly and stayed contained in the one lesion. See if you can send that picture to your vets email. Call them and ask for it. Mine lets me email them and they’ll give me a call back after the Dr looks at it. To let me know if I need to bring him in or not.

i thought odin had lesions on his nose, so I was putting the topical there as well. He was have a bad reaction and was losing hair all around the bridge of his nose rapidly. We took him to the vet and she said she didn’t think he had ringworm there and that he’s just having a bad allergic reaction to the topical. For us to stop using the topical and just bathe him three times a week and continue with oral. So for the past two weeks we’ve been letting his nose dry out and his hair has grown back.

basically, I’m trying to say, ask your vet if they think she could be having an allergic reaction to the topical and that could be why her hair is falling out. And ask if you can get the oral medication. When you go to vets. You kinda have to be a super advocate for your babies and ask for things. They don’t always offer.

all of the cats LOVE my fiancé and he loves them. We’ve been together 4 years and we picked out each cat together. We only bring home super clingy affectionate cats. Annoying at times 😂 but we love the cuddles. We have one cat, foxy, that is skittish. But she’s not with him. I joke that she’s in love with him and hates me, haha. She wants him all to herself. She cries if she can’t find him 🤣
8931F401-E94F-4328-BE73-39383BB9D4CB.png

odins nose 2 weeks ago ^
01A53F63-20A5-4E0F-8676-D5C75727B2B8.jpeg

Odin yesterday ^

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, have you tried purchasing a black light or a woods lamp? So you can keep an eye on the ringworm. You’ll know it’s getting better as the glow starts fading away.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, have you tried purchasing a black light or a woods lamp? So you can keep an eye on the ringworm. You’ll know it’s getting better as the glow starts fading away.
I want to but I’m worried it’s going to make me even more paranoid than I already am right now if I shone the light around my house. I’m having trouble sleeping and anxieties just thinking of this problem 😭

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to but I’m worried it’s going to make me even more paranoid than I already am right now if I shone the light around my house. I’m having trouble sleeping and anxieties just thinking of this problem 😭
Don’t shine it around the house. A LOT of stuff glows under a black light. Just shine it on the cat and yourself, lol. You can get a cheap one off amazon. You’ll start to notice the difference between a hair follicle glowing and just lent glowing.

thankfully I have anxiety pills to help me through all this 🤣

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
blumarine916 blumarine916
I asked my husband again as I had doubts on my memory (Barley had that ringworm around 3 yrs ago so I cannot remember very clearly) - if it only took only more than a week for our Barley to get cleared up. Since he was the one that was hands on with our Barley with regards to medicating, bathing etc - he said that he gave Barley vet-prescribed meds for around 11 -14 days, but the ointments/creams he put on Barley continued until the awful reddish spot on his head did not dry up. He recalls that it took around 2 weeks or even more.

When we started seeing that bald spot slowly growing some fur, we knew he was fine.

But definitely not 3-4 months as you have read on other threads. Maybe Barley's case was not that as severe as the others. But again, ringworm is nasty and is very difficult to treat, just like earmites (which my other cat also had :( )
Hi again. You said you had other cats when Barley was diagnosed so did you quarantine Barley from your other cats?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again. You said you had other cats when Barley was diagnosed so did you quarantine Barley from your other cats?
We lived in a small studio apartment, so there was not much space to quarantine Barley. Fortunately no other cats of mine (3 of them at that time aside from Barley) ever got infected. But it was a daily tiring routine of vacuuming, mopping the floor, washing sheets aside from medicating Barley.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow how did you fit all of them in your studio at that time? :)

We lived in a small studio apartment, so there was not much space to quarantine Barley. Fortunately no other cats of mine (3 of them at that time aside from Barley) ever got infected. But it was a daily tiring routine of vacuuming, mopping the floor, washing sheets aside from medicating Barley.
Yeah the daily vacuuming is tiring. Takes about an hour to finish each day after work. My cat is currently in the room but she’ll want to come out to run about so we just let her after applying her cream. The other cat also greet her with a few licks so I’m not sure if that’s ok.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow how did you fit all of them in your studio at that time? :)
They had a catio at that time, so when one cat did not want to be with the rest it will retreat to the catio for some peace of mind. LOL.

The other cat also greet her with a few licks so I’m not sure if that’s ok.
I am not a vet, but I read somewhere that ringworms are only contagious to other cats as long as you don;t treat it. When you start giving the cat the proper meds and creams, it stops spreading within 48 hours. Maybe that is why not one of my other cats got infected, or we just got lucky. LOL. I am NOT SURE if this is true, though. Best thing is always isolate any sick cat from others just to make sure.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I bathed both of them in Malaseb. During the bath noticed my 2nd cat’s (Meffy) skin is a little red under her fur. It isn’t bald yet but I’m wondering if it’s a sign of ringworm as well. Can a cat that has yet to show actual signs of ringworm be treated the same way?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can I treat my 2nd cat who has yet to show any symptoms with antifungal medicine as a prevention?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is this improvement? Her fur is growing back on the original spot but at the same time, further parts seem to be thinning ☹
1BBAEE44-2F65-4E25-A8A6-ADD9F366715F.jpeg
33D6313E-3AD5-4B11-AEDD-35B9CBA9E488.jpeg

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just keep going! People who stop too soon, they can relapse. If hair is growing back, that’s a good sign. My vet recommends treating two weeks past clinical cure. So 10 weeks basically.
Alright I’ll keep going. It’s been 4 weeks but feels so much longer.
Are you done with your treatment?