Suspected Ringworm

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night before I went to bed, I petted my fat kitty Meimey and to my horror noticed a bald spot about the 1cm in diameter on neck! It was dry, flaky and after I googled it was possibly a ringworm. I panicked and wondered how I have never noticed it before this because I pet and brush her daily. It was not noticeable under normal view because it was hidden under a layer of skin/fat just above her neck. As I said, she is quite chubby.

I’m so worried after reading all the horror posts about ringworm. I can’t get to the vet until Saturday but I have put some medical spray on the spot.

I checked Meffy and she seems fine. I’m not sure how long the sore has been there but now I recalled seeing some dirt or flakes on Meimey more than a week ago and just brushed it off thinking she probably got them from playing with our shoes.

I left for work this morning after putting spray on her. Should I separate them again?
How did she get infected? She is 100% indoors and we live in an apartment.
I’m so sad right now because I failed to notice it earlier :( Meimey is very healthy. She was never sick or had any issues for the 6 years I’ve had her aside from getting rotten a tooth pulled in July. She’s a sweetheart.

Does it hurt her? I’m thinking of giving her a bath tonight after work.

Last edited:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! First off, don't put anymore spray on her neck because you are not 100% sure that it is ringworm. Ringworm does not hurt them in any way, so don't worry about that. You could clean the area with a mild soap (you don't need to bathe the whole cat) and wait to take her in. As for contracting it, ringworm is a fungal infection, so you could have had it on your shoes or your jacket and simply brought it inside. There really isn't anything you can do until you have a confirmation that it is ringworm. Be diligent about washing your hands and any bedding that she uses. Once confirmed, the medicine makes it clear up quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying. I’m only using a mild herbal spray to ease any irritation. I use the same for my other cat who is prone to hotspots.

I can bathe her if it’s necessary. Could it also be related to not bathing her regularly? I only bathe her once a month or two.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, it isn't related to bathing. You just got unlucky, honestly. Nothing you can really do to prevent it.
:( Indeed unlucky.

So should I quarantine her when i get home? The fact that there’s nothing I can do to prevent it is even more scary since both cats get full run of my little apartment.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you have another cat it is better to isolate Meimey and make sure that all the beddings and anything she went to have been washed to ensure your other cat won't have it, just in case it is ringworm.

Ringworm is nasty and could take several days to be totally gone/healed.
My Barley had that.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since you have another cat it is better to isolate Meimey and make sure that all the beddings and anything she went to have been washed to ensure your other cat won't have it, just in case it is ringworm.

Ringworm is nasty and could take several days to be totally gone/healed.
My Barley had that.
How long did it take to clear for your Barley?

I’m still curious if it’s possible for a human with athlete’s foot to cause this ringworm in my cat. My bf has it for a long time.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
How long did it take to clear for your Barley?
It took us more than a week. Besides ointments, the vet prescribed meds but I forgot the name.

I’m still curious if it’s possible for a human with athlete’s foot to cause this ringworm in my cat.
I am not sure of that, but I doubt. However, ringworms in cats (or dogs) are contagious. So better isolate your cat as I suggested.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It took us more than a week. Besides ointments, the vet prescribed meds but I forgot the name.

I am not sure of that, but I doubt. However, ringworms in cats (or dogs) are contagious. So better isolate your cat as I suggested.
Oh 1 week isn’t long. The threads that I read was saying it would that 3-4 months which is crazy.
Was Barley’s one also a flaky bald spot or was it discovered earlier?

Yes I will separate them once the vet confirms.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh 1 week isn’t long. The threads that I read was saying it would that 3-4 months which is crazy.
Was Barley’s one also a flaky bald spot or was it discovered earlier?

Yes I will separate them once the vet confirms.
The length of treatment and healing depends on the severity, I guess.

Barley had a small bald spot on his head when I first suspected he had ringworms. I guess my husband did a good job in cleaning him, giving him his meds, putting ointments, and bathing him almost every other day. I also vacuumed everyday, twice, as I had other cats also (but none was affected).

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
blumarine916 blumarine916
I asked my husband again as I had doubts on my memory (Barley had that ringworm around 3 yrs ago so I cannot remember very clearly) - if it only took only more than a week for our Barley to get cleared up. Since he was the one that was hands on with our Barley with regards to medicating, bathing etc - he said that he gave Barley vet-prescribed meds for around 11 -14 days, but the ointments/creams he put on Barley continued until the awful reddish spot on his head did not dry up. He recalls that it took around 2 weeks or even more.

When we started seeing that bald spot slowly growing some fur, we knew he was fine.

But definitely not 3-4 months as you have read on other threads. Maybe Barley's case was not that as severe as the others. But again, ringworm is nasty and is very difficult to treat, just like earmites (which my other cat also had :( )

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet gave me some cream to help with the itching but not anything antifungal, which was strange. Then I asked the vet to shave off some hair around the spot so it is more visible.

Now that it is not covered with fur now, is it okay if the cat scratched it? She’s not scratching a lot but she does scratch. Will the sore bleed?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called and they insisted it was ringworm. They just told me to use the cream. Nothing else :( Not even how to care for her during her treatment.

I read that Colloidal Silver is effective for ringworm. Anyone here have any success?

Also how do I know my other cat Meffy caught it too? She doesn’t seem to be scratching a lot but I’m just worrying a lot.

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called and they insisted it was ringworm. They just told me to use the cream. Nothing else :( Not even how to care for her during her treatment.

I read that Colloidal Silver is effective for ringworm. Anyone here have any success?

Also how do I know my other cat Meffy caught it too? She doesn’t seem to be scratching a lot but I’m just worrying a lot.
go on chewy.com and order intrafungol oral solution. You will need your vet to sign off on it, can take about a week. But it’s cheaper than getting it from the vet. It’s an oral medication you give to them for a month. Give it to them 7 days, stop 7 days, give to them 7 days, stop 7 days, etc.

It’ll help combat the fungus from the inside. Find some good antifungal shampoo and bathe your cat three times a week. Bathe your other cat as well a couple times. The shampoo is to help keep the lesions from spreading and minimize the spreading of spores. Purchase some lotrimin for ringworm as well and apply that twice a day on the lesions that are present. It can take up to 6-8 weeks to cure ringworm. My vet recommends and additional 2 weeks after the healing time to make sure it doesn’t come back. I’m on week 5 of treating my cat. All of his hair has grown back and I’m not seeing any signs of lesions. Keep your infected cat in an isolated area that’s easy to clean without carpet. Bleach surfaces daily and wash bedding as well as your clothes In hot water. Wash your hands and your arms after you come into contact with your cat or anything the cat has come into contact with. Hot water will kill any fungus, bleach as well, along with sunlight. Sadly you can’t use those to cure it on your cat.

Attachments

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shampoo i has gotten from the vet. Sadly the vet doesn’t give you much info on how to treat ringworm. I had to do a lot of research and prompt answers out of them.

Attachments

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The shampoo i has gotten from the vet. Sadly the vet doesn’t give you much info on how to treat ringworm. I had to do a lot of research and prompt answers out of them.
Thanks for sharing. Yes my vet didn’t even tell me to isolate the cat. He only gave me a topical cream and said I could use Malaseb shampoo to bath them once a week. No oral medication or shots given.

Last night I noticed the lesion has somehow gotten bigger with some bumps around it. I suppose she has been scratching the lesion. There’s now another spot on her forehead too. I’m heartbroken and really stressed. I know it’s only been like 10 days discovered and 2 days since I started using the cream but it still makes me sad my fully indoor cats would catch this nasty thing.

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing. Yes my vet didn’t even tell me to isolate the cat. He only gave me a topical cream and said I could use Malaseb shampoo to bath them once a week. No oral medication or shots given.

Last night I noticed the lesion has somehow gotten bigger with some bumps around it. I suppose she has been scratching the lesion. There’s now another spot on her forehead too. I’m heartbroken and really stressed. I know it’s only been like 10 days discovered and 2 days since I started using the cream but it still makes me sad my fully indoor cats would catch this nasty thing.
it’s extremely heartbreaking, I cried for about two weeks. I was so stressed out. But once you get a routine going, it gets better. We had 5 cats before we adopted two new kittens. And I always ask if the new cats are healthy. Shelters are so quick to say their cats aren’t sick so you’ll adopt them. I never would have brought them into my home to harm my 5 cats that I already have. But thankfully I contained it fast enough.

my vet only gave me the shampoo with instructions to get the lotrimon and bathe my cats twice. Didn’t tell me to isolate or to keep bathing for several weeks. It’s super frustrating! I also purchased several bottles of “vet recommended ringworm treatment” from amazon.

It doesn’t technically have any antifungal ingredients in it, but it had great reviews and gave me a piece of mind. I applied that to his lesions and by week 2 his hair was growing back. I also used it to spray on my Couches and any places I couldn’t reach with a vacuum or wash. It does leave behind an orange residue a little bit and it’s somewhat sticky. But it’s suppose to be a more healthier natural alternative to other medicines. I also sprayed it all over my other cats fur along with the infected one, in between shampooed washes.

you can get lime sulfur dip from amazon as well. I didn’t decide to go that way. I’ve read it’s super smelly like rotten eggs. And you’re suppose to let your cat air dry. Not even use a towel on them. Wasn’t too keen on letting my cat run around sipping wet smelling like rotten eggs.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it’s extremely heartbreaking, I cried for about two weeks. I was so stressed out. But once you get a routine going, it gets better. We had 5 cats before we adopted two new kittens. And I always ask if the new cats are healthy. Shelters are so quick to say their cats aren’t sick so you’ll adopt them. I never would have brought them into my home to harm my 5 cats that I already have. But thankfully I contained it fast enough.

my vet only gave me the shampoo with instructions to get the lotrimon and bathe my cats twice. Didn’t tell me to isolate or to keep bathing for several weeks. It’s super frustrating! I also purchased several bottles of “vet recommended ringworm treatment” from amazon.

It doesn’t technically have any antifungal ingredients in it, but it had great reviews and gave me a piece of mind. I applied that to his lesions and by week 2 his hair was growing back. I also used it to spray on my Couches and any places I couldn’t reach with a vacuum or wash. It does leave behind an orange residue a little bit and it’s somewhat sticky. But it’s suppose to be a more healthier natural alternative to other medicines. I also sprayed it all over my other cats fur along with the infected one, in between shampooed washes.

you can get lime sulfur dip from amazon as well. I didn’t decide to go that way. I’ve read it’s super smelly like rotten eggs. And you’re suppose to let your cat air dry. Not even use a towel on them. Wasn’t too keen on letting my cat run around sipping wet smelling like rotten eggs.
Totally with you on the crying part although I haven’t been able cry it is a very stressful feeling. My bf said I’m overthinking and it’s not going to help. I know that. But I’m also angry that my cat got it after 8 years of having them without much problems. It’s really numbing.

I’m not from US so I’m not so sure about buying medical products from there to be brought into the country. Besides that i should trust the vet. I’m sure he’s seen many cases like this and would have told me about the sulfur dip if it was necessary. Bad enough that my cat hates bathing. Yeeek..no way im letting my cat run wet and smelly all over.

Did all your cats get infected? How long did it take for the symptoms to clear? Does it get bigger before it gets better?

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally with you on the crying part although I haven’t been able cry it is a very stressful feeling. My bf said I’m overthinking and it’s not going to help. I know that. But I’m also angry that my cat got it after 8 years of having them without much problems. It’s really numbing.

I’m not from US so I’m not so sure about buying medical products from there to be brought into the country. Besides that i should trust the vet. I’m sure he’s seen many cases like this and would have told me about the sulfur dip if it was necessary. Bad enough that my cat hates bathing. Yeeek..no way im letting my cat run wet and smelly all over.

Did all your cats get infected? How long did it take for the symptoms to clear? Does it get bigger before it gets better?
my fiancé was telling me I was going overboard too. But he knows how I am, so he got over it. Hopefully you can get away with just topical treatment. They say it’ll go away faster if you take an aggressive approach. Ask your vet for shampoo and oral medication. I was just mentioning it’s cheaper on chewy.com

No other cats are showing any lesions of any kind. I check them every day. I even bought a black light. Thankfully the cat that has ringworm is a kitten and I can still manipulate him into baths and putting stuff on him or in his mouth. I can understand how adult cats react to being messed around with. I have three older cats that weren’t having it. But I’m also thankful that I have a shower with glass doors and I can trap them in there 🤣

I’m on week 5 and all of his lesions have disappeared. But I’m still doing treatments on him. Bathing him and oral medication. By week 2 I coild

It does get worse before it’s better. Be sure to use a cotton ball or cotton swab to apply the topical ointment to your cat. And use a new one on each lesion that they have.
AF36AA18-5F90-4E9E-8BA9-CC20CD97F8DF.jpeg

When he was first diagnosed ^
612E2C92-423A-4E62-984A-712A99A22C1A.jpeg

2 weeks in to treatment^^
0EBBC0E9-CA23-4335-851A-DBD2B58B4126.jpeg

Now he’s completely healed up. He just has a little scratch on him (confirmed by vet)

and no, I’m not choking him, I promise ❤