Suspect UTI or crystals in urine?

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course, it's a Sunday. And of course, it's easter. I have to wait to take Allen into my parent's vet until tomorrow.

But anyway, I'd been noticing some strange litterbox behavior for the past 2-3 days, and it all came to a head this morning at 5:30. Allen's been acting like he's trouble peeing - he'll go into the litter box, squat, and I'll hear nothing. Normally when he pees it's a big stream, so I can hear it. Then he gets out, walks around, and tries again. Then repeat about 3 times.

He's also dropping down and immediately cleaning his gential area right after he gets out, which is not normal, and I caught him once sitting and dragging himself on the wood floor like a dog does when its butt itches.

This morning he jumps up behind my knees in bed, and after a few seconds I get a bad feeling and I immediately boot him down, and sure enough there's a pee spot. Luckily it didn't soak through and the sheets are in the wash right now. So now I'm watching him pretty closely (we are at my parents' house for the weekend, with their cat and my sister's cat Goose).

UTI or maybe crystals in his urine? Goose has crystals so my sister has him on the special SD food per her vet recommendation. I feel so bad that Allen has to wait until tomorrow to the see my parents' vet, but I will be calling right at 8am and toting him over; luckily my parents' house is literally 3 minutes from the clinic.

Happy easter

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Happy Easter to you too. Yes, that sounds like crystals alright. Patch has struvite crystals. As long as Allen is urinating a good amount of urine out, he'll be fine until tomorrow. Poor baby I know its so frustrating and mine will just not eat any of those urinary tract foods. Good kuck.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat does indeed have a UTI or crystals, he needs to be seen immediately by a vet as it can be life threatening. His behaviour describes having a UTI - the constant squatting and trying to pee, but only peeing out a little at a time, and peeing on your bed. A cat will try peeing somewhere else besides the litterbox if they're having problems. Having a UTI is very painful, and they try finding relief by going somewhere else, thinking that the litterbox is causing their pain. Do you have an emergency vet in your area that you can contact? I know that with Easter Sunday being today, most vets are on holiday. But there should be a vet on call for emergencies. I personally wouldn't wait till tomorrow...

I sure hope it's nothing serious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I cannot afford the cost of taking him to the emergency clinic, and my parents will not pay for it. They will pay for the regular vet, however.

They actually open at 7:30am, so I will be calling at 7:25!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe its only in cases where there is total blockage that you need an emergency visit, as it will result in death. If there is still urination, just painful and in smaller amounts, it can wait until tomorrow from what I understand.

For right now, if you're feeding dry food, stop. Feed just wet food, avoiding fish and just stick w/ fowl IMO, and water it down a bit as long as kitty will eat it that way. This will help acidify and flush out the urine.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, when my boy started hopping in and out of the box and just little bits of urine, it was Labor Day. Luckily, I've got my own credit card and off to the E-vet we went. The visit was about $125 (visit plus antibiotics plus pain shot). IMO, it was well worth it. He wasn't blocked, and the pain shot and antibiotics helped immensely. The follow-up at my own vet confirmed struvite crystals; for us, luckly, Hill's CD has literally been a life saver.

That said, you must get him into the vet very first thing tomorrow morning if you can't get your parents to go the e-vet today - there will no doubt be a lot of urgent cases trying to get - make sure you make the front desk understand you've got a male with a possible blockage. I'd honestly call from the parking lot.

Have you called an e-vet to find out what the visit charge would be? If the cat stops peeing altogether, please tell your parents there's no choice other than the e-vet. A blocked male can die in hours, in pain. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. I know it's awful when you just don't have the financial resources to do what you want to do.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AllenBoy

Of course, it's a Sunday. And of course, it's easter. I have to wait to take Allen into my parent's vet until tomorrow.

But anyway, I'd been noticing some strange litterbox behavior for the past 2-3 days, and it all came to a head this morning at 5:30. Allen's been acting like he's trouble peeing - he'll go into the litter box, squat, and I'll hear nothing. Normally when he pees it's a big stream, so I can hear it. Then he gets out, walks around, and tries again. Then repeat about 3 times.

He's also dropping down and immediately cleaning his gential area right after he gets out, which is not normal, and I caught him once sitting and dragging himself on the wood floor like a dog does when its butt itches.

This morning he jumps up behind my knees in bed, and after a few seconds I get a bad feeling and I immediately boot him down, and sure enough there's a pee spot. Luckily it didn't soak through and the sheets are in the wash right now. So now I'm watching him pretty closely (we are at my parents' house for the weekend, with their cat and my sister's cat Goose).

UTI or maybe crystals in his urine? Goose has crystals so my sister has him on the special SD food per her vet recommendation. I feel so bad that Allen has to wait until tomorrow to the see my parents' vet, but I will be calling right at 8am and toting him over; luckily my parents' house is literally 3 minutes from the clinic.

Happy easter
The bold part is what concerns me - if he is not able to pee, he might be blocked... and if he is blocked, that is an emergency. I know it is tough, but a blockage can be lethal - and something that can cost you a couple/few hundreds on the ER today, can cost you thousands if you wait.
At the ER, they can at least press/feel his bladder and give him pain meds to make it easier to pee if he is not blocked - if it is and UTI. They can also start him on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory, getting him better quickly.
If he is blocked, it will be expensive no matter where you go - the difference is that waiting ca be lethal...
I don't want to scare you, but this kind of situation, in a male cat, can be very serious, and if it was my cat, I would give a check for tomorrow and he would be inside of a crate right now. In fact, I have been in this exact situation before, and that is exactly what I did... but it was around 2am...
IMHO I would take him in and figure how to pay tomorrow -
good luck

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

The bold part is what concerns me - if he is not able to pee, he might be blocked... and if he is blocked, that is an emergency. I know it is tough, but a blockage can be lethal - and something that can cost you a couple/few hundreds on the ER today, can cost you thousands if you wait.
At the ER, they can at least press/feel his bladder and give him pain meds to make it easier to pee if he is not blocked - if it is and UTI. They can also start him on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory, getting him better quickly.
If he is blocked, it will be expensive no matter where you go - the difference is that waiting ca be lethal...
I don't want to scare you, but this kind of situation, in a male cat, can be very serious, and if it was my cat, I would give a check for tomorrow and he would be inside of a crate right now. In fact, I have been in this exact situation before, and that is exactly what I did... but it was around 2am...
IMHO I would take him in and figure how to pay tomorrow -
good luck
He is still peeing, just scattered amounts.

The emergency vet just is not possible as of right now. But he will be at the vet tomorrow when they unlock the door, and I don't care which vet we see!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if you got Allen in to see the vet this morning, and what the outcome was. Please let us know!

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Just wondering if you got Allen in to see the vet this morning, and what the outcome was. Please let us know!
Allen was at the clinic all day today, with an IV to give him fluids and test his urine. He does have a UTI, and he was given an anti-inflammatory shot, and I have a liquid antibiotic to give him 2x a day.

He also got a bath at the clinic because he peed on himself when they were trying to get the sample, but at least he is peeing. He is upstairs in my room just resting where it's quiet (my parents are renovating their bathrooms so there are workers coming in and out of the house all day). We had a very good pee in the litterbox right when we got home from the clinic, and he'll get his first antibiotic dose in an hour or so.

I've also put off driving back to Columbus tonight, because I don't want him to be uncomfortable and he might be prone to accidents, so I've let my boss know that I won't be in at work tomorrow (she has two cats herself, so she should understand). We'll drive back around noon tomorrow.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so glad you got him in - and I hope you have a good drive home tomorrow. I bet you'll both be happy to get home.

Just curious - with my guy, my e-vet and the regular vet told me to take him in to the regular vet after we got through the antibiotics. Does this vet think you need to do another urine sample in a few weeks to make sure all is well? My guy had crystals, though.

I hope he does well with the antibiotics - my boy was a champ with his - my girl, when she had Clavamox, not so great, off her appetite and upchucked once.

Please keep us posted if you can. And good wishes for a very quick return to health (and for you to get a good night's sleep!)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
darlili;3056705 said:
. The visit was about $125 (visit plus antibiotics plus pain shot).

It always amazes me of the price differences in various areas-125 would not have even been the visit by me(150for er visit no testing, 175 if 12am-7am)

CD helped my cat(prone for first few years of life) but in end hes diabetic and was switched to an all wet diet that even back then would have made him have issues peeing, works fine for him now so go figure.

Glad you got him in
! to you both

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you got him in to see the vet!
The antibiotics should clear his UTI up. Is he scheduled for a follow up appt.?

I would suggest feeding him Science Diet CD from now on. It's expensive, but well worth the cost when you have a cat that's prone to UTIs. It sure is a lot easier on the pocketbook compared to having to run him to the vet everytime he gets a UTI. I've had cats that were susceptible to getting UTIs, and they always did well on the Science Diet formula.

I hope Allen recovers quickly!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would suggest feeding him Science Diet CD from now on. It's expensive, but well worth the cost when you have a cat that's prone to UTIs. It sure is a lot easier on the pocketbook compared to having to run him to the vet everytime he gets a UTI. I've had cats that were susceptible to getting UTIs, and they always did well on the Science Diet formula.

I do not doubt that the prescription diet works to prevent crystals, however, I hardly believe it to be the only solution and would argue its not the best solution.

From what I can tell, they are taking the same kind of ultra cheap commercial diets that are typically to blame for crystal formation, and modifying it somewhat to prevent the issue by throwing in a little antioxidants, some ammonium chloride to reduce urine PH, low phosphorus, and salting to make the cat thirsty. Bandaid after bandaid for a high carb, somewhat high fiber, low moisture diet.

So sure, you don't get crystals, but does that mean its great nutrition? Look at the ingredients:
"Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt"

Props to saitanyo for the link: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html 36% calories from carbs for Hills C/D... uhm, no thanks.

Considering all the evidence in studies against high carb diets, IMO it simply makes more sense to reduce the amount of kibble consumed, make that kibble a high quality low carb grain-free variety (Blue Wilderness, Wellness Core, Innova Evo, and Nature's Variety Raw for example), and feed more wet food trying not to do TOO much fish flavor due to the high mineral content.

Avoids the crystals all the same, but superior nutrition for similar or better price for OVERALL health.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Considering all the evidence in studies against high carb diets, IMO it simply makes more sense to reduce the amount of kibble consumed, make that kibble a high quality low carb grain-free variety (Blue Wilderness, Wellness Core, Innova Evo, and Nature's Variety Raw for example), and feed more wet food trying not to do TOO much fish flavor due to the high mineral content.

Avoids the crystals all the same, but superior nutrition for similar or better price for OVERALL health.
A grain free diet - EVO and Origen helped my Bugsy get an UTI FAST. Since he has been on grains, he has been UTI free.
Grain free and UTI does not mix well. Fish IMHO should really be cut off all together - not too much, not too little - just cut it off, unless it is in a Urinary diet.
Sure, C/D does not = great nutrition, but for crystals and UTI it works. With prescription diets, IMHO, you can't generalize, you use it for your needs. UTIs and Crystals is serious stuff... I rather prevent it anytime than risk it. While diet quality and what is good and bad is highly debatable, Crystals can kill a cat in a matter of 2 days, and that is not debatable - that is a fact.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's good to hear you got Allen in to see the vet and he's urinating freely again.
My experience was like Carolina's, meaning crystals and a UTI developed after feeding grain-free dry. My vets work with a pet nutritionist who recommends not feeding it to cats who've exhibited a tendency to develop crystals. I do feed grain-free wet in combination with prescription dry because Jamie won't eat prescription wet.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had struvite crystals - I STRONGLY advise working with your own vet, the only health care provider to have physically examined your cat, regarding possible diets. If your vet works with a certified feline nutritionist, that's great. But, please please please - if the vet suggests a prescription diet, at least try it and see what the next urine exam reveals. My cat is on C/D - and is healthy...that's what counts to me.

Please don't forget - people on the internet can share experiences, but only your own vet has examined your cat.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I do not doubt that the prescription diet works to prevent crystals, however, I hardly believe it to be the only solution and would argue its not the best solution.

From what I can tell, they are taking the same kind of ultra cheap commercial diets that are typically to blame for crystal formation, and modifying it somewhat to prevent the issue by throwing in a little antioxidants, some ammonium chloride to reduce urine PH, low phosphorus, and salting to make the cat thirsty. Bandaid after bandaid for a high carb, somewhat high fiber, low moisture diet.

So sure, you don't get crystals, but does that mean its great nutrition? Look at the ingredients:
"Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt"

Props to saitanyo for the link: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html 36% calories from carbs for Hills C/D... uhm, no thanks.

While I'll admit that I'm certainly no nutritionist when it comes to cat diets, I do know that the Science Diet CD works for UTI/crystal issues, and if I had a choice, I would feed them the SD CD if it keeps the bladder issues under control. As I've already mentioned previously, I've used it before with cats who had that issue, and they were all healthy eating the SD. I certainly would not give my cats anything to eat if it wasn't keeping them fit & healthy.

There seems to be a continuing debate over whether or not SD is indeed healthy. Some "experts" claim that it isn't healthy, while others disagree. One vet will advise you to use it, while others are against it. I don't know just who is right concerning the debate. All I know is that it works, and I'll continue to use it if need be. You take a chance whenever you give a cat any kind of medicine for a health-related problem, too. But you do it if you think it will help your cat. I think the same applies to what you feed them, too. Just my opinion.

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm so glad you got him in to see the vet!
The antibiotics should clear his UTI up. Is he scheduled for a follow up appt.?

Hi all, thanks for the well wishes. Here is a small update:

First, I must have great karma because I was blessed with a kitty who is a super trooper when it comes to taking medication
Plop him on my lap, dropper inserted into corner of mouth, squeeze, and we're done. No spills, fussing, or nasty feelings. Also a quick kiss between the eyes, just cuz

Anyhoo, we are probably halfway through the 2x daily medication. So far it looks okay, although just something is telling me he's still not peeing normally. There's definitely pee in the litterbox and good amounts, but I may just be worrying over nothing. I'll wait until we are done with the antibiotic before deciding if there is still a problem.

No follow-up scheduled just yet - the vet that saw him was my parents' and is in Toledo, whereas I live in Columbus. I am also inbetween vets currently but am probably going to go with the one my sister uses. If there is still a problem, I will have him rechecked for the UTI and possibly the crystals again.

As toward his food: he is going to turn 1 in May, so he is still on his Purina One kitten formula. I was going to start transitioning him to the adult Purina One food in mid-May. Could the fact that he is still eating the rich kitten food be a factor in him developing a UTI?

I would ideally like to keep him on the Purina One because we had such sensitive tummy issues in the past, and he hasn't had one bout a diarhhea since the start of December.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by allenboy

As toward his food: he is going to turn 1 in May, so he is still on his Purina One kitten formula. I was going to start transitioning him to the adult Purina One food in mid-May. Could the fact that he is still eating the rich kitten food be a factor in him developing a UTI?
I really don't know if the kitten chow formula could cause problems with UTIs or not.
But I would think that he really doesn't need to be on the kitten formula anymore since he's almost a year old. I would switch over the the adult formula - one that is formulated for urinary problems. That's what I use, and all my cats do fine on it. I'm sure there are others who will disagree with me when it comes to using anything that Purina makes, but my cats have been on a Purina diet for a long time, and they are all healthy - with the exception of my FIP cats - but that's a whole other ballpark: the FIP issues is not related to their diet. Whenever one of them develops a urinary problem, I switch them to the Hills SD/CD.