Sushi just stopped eating

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Guys:  My cat just stopped eating.  Yesterday afternoon, I noticed he hardly ate so I waited until this morning to see.  He is going to the bathroom normally, playful, doesn't whine or cry as if in discomfort or pain, but ate almost nothing this morning.  I tried everything.  All his favorite foods were offered and he just walked away.  I wrote my vet to see if she wants to see him today.  I am worried as it is not making sense when there are no outward signs of any problems.

He does have a sensitive stomach and underdeveloped kidneys, so I watch him carefully and started proportioning his food since he did vomit last Thursday.  But he overate and I was not concerned because he was still eating and drinking afterwards normally.

I feel frustrated not knowing what to do.

I hope the vet has some answers.

Thank for listening,

Joyce

xonadya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have much knowledge but for me, my cat stopped eating for a few days and turns out he had liver failure /: bring him to the vet soon!:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Sushi to the Vet.  They first feel it may be an upset stomach - a reaction to the new food I gave him.  His stomach is very sensitive - they gave him a shot of medication for his stomach and hydrated him under his skin.

They said to see if he starts to eat by tomorrow  morning.  If not, I need to bring him back.

Hoping for the best.

Joyce

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This happened recently with one of my cats, but he also had thrown up everything he'd eaten the day before.  He also has a sensitive tummy and we'd introduced a new food recently.  He was diagnosed with gastroenteritis (gas in his intestines) after the vet did some x-rays on him.  He was given a shot to settle his tummy and then a couple of days later, he got an enema, to help his bowels move and get that gas out of his system.  After that, he started eating again. 

hearingmomo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosh, my cat is so finicky ( and every day she ages I swear it gets worse! she's thirteen now) she stops eating just to make me feel guilty because I won't let her outside, or because I didn't feed her her favorite food.

You're cat really isn't eating ANYTHING? Is he drinking? I guess the vet would have been able to tell if he was dehydrated...

Last edited:

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi:  Thank you both for responding.  I really appreciate it.

I took Sushi to the vet yesterday morning.  She felt the new food I gave him upset his stomach.  They hydrated him to be on the safe side and gave him an injection of something to calm his stomach.  Today, he started eating again.  He goes to the bathroom normally so there were not other signs of something wrong.  He does not act as if he is in distress.  He was still playful but slept more than usual.

The only bad thing about going there is he is so upset as soon as he is there, he growls, spits, and hisses really badly.  He doesn't bite or claw, but he is so frightened even if they really aren't doing much to him.  They boarded him 4 months ago when he was found, and he let them pick him up without a problem.  Now he acts like a tiger when they approach.  They were really surpised.  They said he feels very secure with me.  Once he is home, he is fine.  Extremely loving and affectionate.

He loves to be comforted as I am quite affectionate with him.  In between eating, he comes to me constantly for reassurance and love and then goes back to eating.  It seems that fancy feast is the only food he can eat without any discomfort or problems.  He has a very sensitive stomach so I must be careful.  I will leave well enough alone now.

Great to have a vet down the block that I can run to.  I bought a wheeler cart, so now it is easier to get there as he is not light and the carrier was way to heavy for me.  I lined the bottom of the wheeler with a rug, so he is always comfortable.  

I will watch him now to see if all is good in the next few days.

Joyce

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am still not seeing big improvements  Taking him back to the vet tomorrow morning.  He ate a little and then not that much again  - He lays on a pillow on my  lap more than normal.  I comfort him all through the day and give him lots of love and kisses.  I hope they can find out what is wrong.

Joyce

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Joyce,
Hope Sushi gets better and hope the vet can get the right diagnosis.

Tinkmits normal for Sushi to hiss and growl while at the vet. When they were young, they seem like the happy go lucky type and seems to take things lightly. But once they reach a certain age, as though like they are more matured to understand things, they don't seem to behave like what they were when they were younger than 4 months old.

My boy exactly the same. When he was younger before 4 months of age, he got no problem going to the vet and staying for few days twice with a friend who has a cat. Then when he was 6 months old and we have to go for a holiday, we took him to the same friend's house so that he can get use to the place again. But no, he did not wander around the Ouse as when he was younger and he hissed at everyone there. So at the end we decided to leave him home alone and got the friend to come over to our house to feed him and clear his litter.

But I just hope Sushi get well soon and start eating again. Do keep us posted. Take care and send my love to Sushi.

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi All.  The vet discovered that what Sushi has is a form of urinary tract infection which he cleared up.  Sushi was not a good patient.  Screamed and howled for both nights he was at the vet, while hitting himself against the cage and trying to rip out the catheter that was feeding him antibiotics and fluids.

When he saw me he went crazy.  As soon as I got him home, he was so happy and grateful.  He glued himself to me, ate more than ever, and all else was good as well.  He slept in his new cushy bed that I bought him and also slept on the new shaggy rug on top of my bed.  He spread out and just let himself go.  Makes you want to cry it was so sweet.

The vet told me that I need to stick with the foods I am giving him.  I did try a natural wet food, but he threw up.  Fancy Feast seems to be the only wet food that he loves and has no reaction to along with his renal dry food for his kidneys.  He gained back his weight and was as feisty as ever.

They told me that he is not a social cat. He hated it there and does not like other cats in his space.  If he gets sick again, they will know what to do but he needs to come home after the procedures.  He got himself sick over his reactions to being there.  They really feel that another cat would make him too upset and he is delicate.  So I will play it safe.  He is all I have, and knowing he is not 100% healthy, I don't want to add any more stress on him then is necessary.  I watch him carefully so I notice when something is not good which is very helpful to the vet.  To not have him eat or drink for 2 days was scary.  I am so grateful the vet is 4 blocks from home and open around 9:30am so I can run him there if necessary. They are open for emergencies and since I do not drive, that is a blessing.

I can't tell you all how relieved I am that he is home and happy.  I want to submit pictures of how he sleeps next to me, in his bed and on the blanket.  Too precious.

Joyce

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Joyce, so glad that Sushi is back home and is alright. She got us worried too and having her banging herself against the cage screaming and howling is really heart wrenching. Just like the other day January was at the vet for some constipation issues and the vet stuck her finger into her anus to check for polyps, he was screaming and yelling and struggling. I've never seen him acting this way before and it really hurt me to see him cry.
Anyway, Sushi is back to homeground gained back her weight and we are happy for her.
Yes, please do post her photos. It's been some time we've not seen her.

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you see the pictures now?

Joyce

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi:  Ever since Sushi is home,  he clings to me even more.  He also wants me to pet him when he is eating.  So sweet.  At night, he goes under the covers with me and puts his head next to mine on the pillow.  He cannot get enough of me.  I think he is exhibit a cat appreciation.  So good to see if peaceful, eating, drinking and happy. He loved his new bed as the picture above shows him out cold on his back.  Now I know when I have my  pipes replaced in the walls in the apartment, I can lock off 3 rooms in my home for him so he might wonder what is going on, but he won't be screaming and stressed out as I was thinking of boarding him while the work was being done.  

He is eating and drinking so much, that he gained back the weight in a matter of hours.  So happy to see him feisty and happy again.

Thank goodness I do not travel and I am home every night.  Worked out for both of us.

Anyway, here is another picture of him I just took as he was cleaning himself on the pillow and looked up at me.

Love to all.  May all our little boys and girls be safe and healthy.

Joyce

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

Yea! So happy that she is happy and clinging on to you.

I couldn't see the photos yesterday but now I can. She's so pretty [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ and she looks good!