Hello Everyone! I am new to this site but have been reading through some forums for the last couple of days. I finally decided to post something because I’m desperate for support. I have a 6 yr old male cat named Simba. Simba was my first and only fur baby and For the last six years we have had no health issues whatsoever. 6 weeks ago I had my first born child (Lucas). Simba is not a fan of children. When my niece or nephews come over he typically just hides until they leave. Unfortunately for him Lucas won’t be going anywhere. He still seemed to be his usual self and would occasionally sniff Lucas but pretty much ignore him. Simba has a covered litter box with stairs and pretty much his own apartment in our basement. I noticed a few weeks ago he had been peeing on the stairs of the litter box. I assumed it was because he was upset my husband wasn’t changing his litter as often as I usually would. So I went out and bought an uncovered litter box. Then I began to notice he started squatting near the box to pee. So I once again assumed he didn’t like the box because he had no privacy. Saturday (6/30) night I came home and he didn’t greet me like he normally would. So I put Lucas to bed and looked for Simba. He was laying on the basement floor with litter on his nose, tail, and paws. I tried playing with him but he wouldn’t move. I eventually got him to stand and he went to a corner and tried to use the bathroom but nothing would come out. I immediately brought him to the ER where they told me he was blocked and it was affecting his kidneys and he had high potassium levels. 3 days and $2700 dollars later we brought him home. Since we’ve been home I’ve been giving him two meds 3 times a day. But he was dripping bloody urine around the house and refusing to eat the prescription food. His urine has been a lot smaller than usual and he is frequently going to his box. Today (7/6) I was feeding Lucas and noticed he squat in front of us and tried to pee on his toy but nothing came out. I brought him back to the ER. They said he isn’t blocked yet but it could happen again. They gave him an anti inflammatory shot and sent us home. If he blocks again I cannot afford to do the procedure again which breaks my heart. Then the vet mentioned if he blocks a third time we could try surgery. I’m curious to know, if there is a surgery option, why was that not offered to me first since it seems like it would have cured him. Please help!!!