Surrendering Your Cat Because You Don't Spend Enough Time With Them?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got my two cats from craglist. And every now and then I'll just peer across the craglist pet section for curiosity sake.

I frequently see people have posts where they are saying they're giving up their cats because they had a child or something similar and no longer have the time the pet needs to be happy.

Is this remotely a valid excuse?

I understand with younger cats, but I feel like most older animals would be perfectly content as long as it gets some contact and stay instead of having to move to a new home.

I understand the time thing may just be an excuse of course.

Thoughts?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not a valid excuse, but if someone wants to re-Home a pet, they are not likely to say it has litter box issues or claws the couch, etc. I’m not sure why people hesitate to take a pet to a reputable shelter if they genuinely need to find it a new home. At least at a shelter there will be questions asked.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a valid excuse. I don't know, really.
At least at a shelter there will be questions asked
Which, I suppose, is the problem - I sometimes think that some of these people (not all, not making a blanket statement) are of the "it's disposable" mentality.

Whether that was the case here or not, (probably not - the felines were a hurtful reminder, I'm thinking) There was a lady came on Next door a while back, had three cats that were bonded with her husband who'd passed on a few months previous. She's working and is feeling the pressure of taking care of these three cats. So, she posted on the neighborhood forum asking for help/would anyone take them. Unfortunately one of the other neighbors lit into her saying what a rotten person she was for giving up the cats (none of them youngsters). The rest of us tried to salvage the situation especially a couple of us because I was just sure, and scared to pieces, that she'd go to criags list. It was too late, she disappeared and I don't recall if anyone ever showed up who was able to contact that lady outside of the neighborhood forum.

However, saleri saleri you've given me some hope for this situation since you found YOUR furbabies there, so maybe things for those three cats turned out ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not a valid excuse. I don't know, really.

Which, I suppose, is the problem - I sometimes think that some of these people (not all, not making a blanket statement) are of the "it's disposable" mentality.

Whether that was the case here or not, (probably not - the felines were a hurtful reminder, I'm thinking) There was a lady came on Next door a while back, had three cats that were bonded with her husband who'd passed on a few months previous. She's working and is feeling the pressure of taking care of these three cats. So, she posted on the neighborhood forum asking for help/would anyone take them. Unfortunately one of the other neighbors lit into her saying what a rotten person she was for giving up the cats (none of them youngsters). The rest of us tried to salvage the situation especially a couple of us because I was just sure, and scared to pieces, that she'd go to criags list. It was too late, she disappeared and I don't recall if anyone ever showed up who was able to contact that lady outside of the neighborhood forum.

However, saleri saleri you've given me some hope for this situation since you found YOUR furbabies there, so maybe things for those three cats turned out ok.
Yeah I understand the fear with Craglist. Seems like now that we're in kitten season I see posts all the time with people having litters of kittens all the time and just giving them away with a fee.

Both my kittens weren't "easy" to get, I visited twice, and signed all the usual papers you would at a shelter. But that's more or less that one was a rescue, and another was essentially a humane society.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not a valid excuse, but if someone wants to re-Home a pet, they are not likely to say it has litter box issues or claws the couch, etc. I’m not sure why people hesitate to take a pet to a reputable shelter if they genuinely need to find it a new home. At least at a shelter there will be questions asked.
I don't have the exact stat on me, but I do recall a while ago reading somewhere that 20% of the people that returned cats to shelters was because of biting, so I would a decent number of people would tell the truth.

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that when you choose to take an animal into your home, you are choosing that animal to be a part of your family for as long as you both will live. It is so sad to think about giving up an animal who has fully developed trust in you. Pets are essentially a "part" of your life (as humans have families, friends, co-workers), but we are everything to a pet.

I also understand that there are circumstances where life throws you a complete curve ball and you end up in crazy situation. I also understand that sometimes really sad things happen. When I was a baby my parents had a dog, and they actually had to put it down because it tried to attack me on two separate occasions. They were going to try to find it a new home, but they found out that it had already bitten before, so they had to make a really hard decision. I know that is a more extreme version, but it is on the same idea.

I guess I feel conflicted, but all in all, it is very sad for the pet. I can't even imagine.

PetrasHuman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd feel conflicted too, it's such a shame! I always get upset when people want to rehome elder cats :(

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you've recently had a child, had to take in an aged parent, etc.; the added responsibility of a pet--on top of employment possibly--may be too much. At least they are trying to rehome the animal and not dumping it out somewhere.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you've recently had a child, had to take in an aged parent, etc.; the added responsibility of a pet--on top of employment possibly--may be too much. At least they are trying to rehome the animal and not dumping it out somewhere.
Yeah not here to judge. Just more curious how much an older cat would really need.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got my two cats from craglist. And every now and then I'll just peer across the craglist pet section for curiosity sake.

I frequently see people have posts where they are saying they're giving up their cats because they had a child or something similar and no longer have the time the pet needs to be happy.

Is this remotely a valid excuse?

I understand with younger cats, but I feel like most older animals would be perfectly content as long as it gets some contact and stay instead of having to move to a new home.

I understand the time thing may just be an excuse of course.

Thoughts?
I would say they are way more concerned about their happiness than the cats happiness. I mean, is the cat complaining? Some of my cats like attention more than others do. They are the ones that are always around me. "We arn't hungry but we like to sit here and watch when you eat, you done with that? "

If it's multiple cats it could be more economic than time. Cat food is not free and multiplied by the number they have it adds up pretty fast. Most people will not admit to getting rid of pets because of it costing to much. And if they are putting their resources into baby food and diapers and such, cat food moves down to the bottom of the list.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless they are spending literally zero time with the cat, I don't think it's a good reason to surrender your cat to a shelter. No matter how little time you spend with your pet, it's highly doubtful that they would get any more attention in a shelter situation, and they would have the significant stress of being in the shelter environment and missing you.

That said, I think most of the time "not spending enough time with him/her" is an excuse, and there's something else going on - whether a more serious issue, or just a lack of willingness to honor the commitment.

Being in a shelter is one of the worst and hardest things for a cat, and it should be avoided at all possible in my opinion, even if the home environment is less than ideal.

Rehoming from one house to another I'm not quite so absolute on, but a shelter should be the last possible resort.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish was originally turned over because her owner allegedly died. Uhmmmm. Couldn't possibly have been because she was well under a year old and pregnant? My guess is that somebody got a cute kitty who then got pregnant long before anybody thought she could and they didn't want more kitties. Other than the fact that they gave her to a kill shelter, they probably did the right thing. She was rescued from that shelter and she and her babies had a chance at a pretty nice life.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Personally I rather a cat rehomed instead of dumped at a shelter-where they may not make it out alive=at least down in southern states seems they still kill them...the northeast seems to gotten away from this but spay/neuter is an easy fix to this problem- heck in my area there's 3 different outfits that have reduced spay cost so really money is an excuse. I know my elder cat sleeps all the time and if I dumped her at the shelter-she would have a rough time and probably won't make it out alive...it's better to keep the cats in the home than a shelter. How much time do you really need to give it other than feed and scoop the cat box? my girls sleep all the time anyways..and I am sure if they could talk-they would rather stay in their known environment instead of stuffed in a cage with dogs barking and all those smells to overwhelm them. I honestly don't know why people think a shelter is ideal??!! Considering half of those animals get the needle I would NEVER give them to a shelter!!!!! Just my :2cents:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are way more independent than dogs anyway, so sending them to a shelter or rehoming them because not enough time is ridiculous. Cats are perfectly happy having just minutes a day, much more than the stress and agony of being in a shelter or new home. Unless you are gone fro extended periods all the time, I do not see this as a good reason. They are just irresponsible pet owners who got tired of taking care of a pet that grew to love them, a tragedy in my opinion. I hope they don't start looking at their children!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why it's imperitive that people set up god parents for your pets if something happens to you. I am very sure the cats would rather be transported to another home instead of a shelter where they may die if god forbid they hiss at someone!
Technically, I think my cat's supposed to go back to the group (and her foster home) if something happened to me, but I still told my bf he's next of kin, and they'd probably be okay with that.

janets98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really wish one of my family members or friends would agree to take my cat if she should survive me. But they refuse. And it's not because of her behavior. They all have excuses so the bottom line is that she's likely to become a senior shelter cat and will have no chance at another loving home. At this point I'm hoping I survive her so that I will know that her last days will be filled with love and good care.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I really wish one of my family members or friends would agree to take my cat if she should survive me. But they refuse. And it's not because of her behavior. They all have excuses so the bottom line is that she's likely to become a senior shelter cat and will have no chance at another loving home. At this point I'm hoping I survive her so that I will know that her last days will be filled with love and good care.
I think many of us agree. I have internet friends who I think would honor my requests if god forbid something happens to both Jon and I. The ones in family have too many dogs and other animals/kids that would not be a good placement for my girls. I am sad to think what would happen to them if I die? But I will be dead so I guess it doesn't matter. :/

I just hope Jon outlives me-then it won't matter is what I meant. Otherwise I don't think Pumps could handle a shelter- I probably should start networking with rescues but the past 2 years has been so much drama with online rescue work-I just don't want to get involved or listen to the bickering back and forth being forced to choose my friends-as one lady sent me private messages to the point I had to block her...so that's why I feel isolated in the online world..

Just so you know my heart is crying right now. I don't even want to think about what might happen to anyone's pets if they leave this earth..maybe we can set up some kind of oh I don't know? Senior help transport home again or something if someone's pets are left behind... sigh. Sorry for the downer..

Last edited:

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah not here to judge. Just more curious how much an older cat would really need.
Right, and it definitely got me thinking, I could tell you were not trying to judge, just to try to see some opinions. Good Post!