Surprising turn of events

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So as I'm sure many of you know my husband rescued a mother cat (Lily) and what we assumed was the only surviving kitten (Freya) who sadly passed away recently. A few days after Freya passed away my husband found out from a coworker that another one of the coworkers actually took the rest of the kittens in to save and rehome them, so they didn't all die after all. :dancingblackcat: Even though it's been a couple months now he still had the little black male from that litter looking for a home. So my husband when and got him on his way home from work yesterday. So meet Onyx. He is noticeably bigger then Freya was, like a couple pounds heavier (just over 6 pounds) and looks like how a 6+ month old kitten should, which really makes me wonder if something wasn't right with Freya and she had some underlying issue. :( He is still a bit scared, he hasn't even been her 24 hours yet and has new cats and dogs to get use to, so it will probably take a few days for him to settle in, but he is sweet and purrs and rolls over as soon as you pet him. He also crawls into my arms for cuddles, and loves the self warming beds (what he is in in the picture) it took him all of about 10 minutes of being here to curl up in one.
20230118_163624.jpg

Maybe it's just me but it kind of seemed like he was meant to be mine, finding out about him after Freya died and him still being available months after being rescued. So even though I am still hurt from Freya's passing I think giving her brother a home is a good way to honor her. Aside from being bigger and black he looks similar to Freya, which is a bit bittersweet, he also has some of the same mannerisms and is using the same hiding spots in the room as Freya did when she first came here. I also hope once he settles in he will end up being a good playmate for my youngest (just under a year) female, Misty, she gets along with all the other cats but seems to be missing having a playmate her own energy level.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, this is just wonderful, for him AND you! I think it was meant to be, and little Freya arranged it from the bridge :rbheart:

He's such a handsome little guy. And his name is perfect

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
This is wonderful news! It was definitely meant to be. I'm so happy you could give Freya's brother a home. And he is a gorgeous boy, look at those eyes.

Congratulations on your new family member!

:celebrate:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There's something to be said for fate and this certainly proves it. Thank you to your husband for giving Onyx his forever home. :dancingblackcat: We expect to hear updates and see more pics as he grows up.:camera:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Onyx seems to be settling in nicely. I was expecting him to take longer to settle in but he already seems pretty relaxed here as you can see in the pic, which is good. His favorite places to sleep are the self warming beds or the self warming pad (I'll have to buy more i bought those for the older cats, lol).

OnyxRelaxing.jpg

Welcome dear Onyx! :purr:

ETA how has Lily reacted to him? Any sign she knows he’s hers?
Lily seems to remember him, or at least like him, she was doing little meows to him when he first got here. It did take a couple days for her to warm up to him though, but it could be he smelled like the house he was living at for a couple months. They get along now like they always lived together, she even plays with him a little bit, but she isn't really a playful kitty and gets scare easily if play gets rough.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Onyx seems to be settling in nicely. I was expecting him to take longer to settle in but he already seems pretty relaxed here as you can see in the pic, which is good. His favorite places to sleep are the self warming beds or the self warming pad (I'll have to buy more i bought those for the older cats, lol).

View attachment 441920

Lily seems to remember him, or at least like him, she was doing little meows to him when he first got here. It did take a couple days for her to warm up to him though, but it could be he smelled like the house he was living at for a couple months. They get along now like they always lived together, she even plays with him a little bit, but she isn't really a playful kitty and gets scare easily if play gets rough.
Oh that’s all so good to hear!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just realized I kind of forgot about this post and never made any updates here, Onyx and Lily are doing very well though. They still cuddle together and play together.

20230605_193949.jpg
Lily likes to stick her tongue out at me. :p
VideoCapture_20230531-131111[1].jpg 20230425_145642[1].jpg

They both get along great with my rottie/bullmastiff mix, he is their protector, Lily will go run to him when the other cats get to be too much. Both seem to still have random moments of panic sometimes, Onyx more so, almost like he has a split personality. He will be fine one minute then something sets him off and he freaks out and acts like he needs to get away right now. Onyx also seems to have a fear of being left alone, he freaks out and screams at the bedroom door if I go in there without him and he thinks I'm going to bed without him, but he doesn't always stay the whole night. As well as he gets upset if he is closed in a room alone without any people or other cats he screams and cries. Over all though Onyx is a sweet loving cat, even if a bit of a trouble maker sometimes, and has a big purr. He likes my husband but I am clearly his person, similarly Lily does like me, and is becoming more bonded to me since I am home all the time, but still prefers my husband when he is home.

20230206_180709.jpg VideoCapture_20230306-131537[1].jpg

Onyx as also turned out to be a great match for Misty, which is one of the main things I was hoping for. They are about the same size, both on the smaller side, but Misty is a bit bigger and about a 9 or 10 on the energy level and Onyx is maybe a 7 or 8, lol. So Onyx will tire out before Misty and will hide from her just to catch a nap break sometimes, but they do search for each other. They wrestle and play chase through the house everyday, when they are together they are pretty much in constant motion, so I don't seem to have any pics of them together. :think:
I do have a pic of Lily and Misty looking out the window together though.
20230603_212444.jpg

Lily is very much a people cat, she is very sweet but also very needy for attention. She is making friends with some of the other cats, but she isn't into rough and tumble play that the other younger cats (around her age +/- a year or two) are into and gets scare and defensive easily. She mostly just plays with Onyx but will hang out with and sometimes play with Misty as well, and will cuddle with the other cats when they are laying down and not being threatening.

20230509_190105.jpg
Brownie and Lily

They are also starting to enjoy going out in the catio, Onyx wasn't thrilled at first since it was still wet and snowy out when I first opened the catio this spring, but he is happy now that it's dry. Lily for the most part wont go out in the catio without me there to protect her though, it's not a big catio so she understandably likely feels trapped if there are more then a couple other cats out there since it gets crowded.

20230406_133901.jpg 20230607_143107.jpg 20230526_164455.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the updates and lovely pics. :rbheart: It's nice to hear how well everyone is doing and what a lucky crew they are to have a catio to explore. :cool2: