Surgery Site Lump

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten's got a lump after spay surgery. I've already emailed photos to the vet and am waiting for a response there, but aminterested in hearing from ya'll -- is this looking okay? / is it a normal or abnormal reaction to spay??

Lump is hard to touch, kitten does not mind it being touched or even attempts to wash the gunk off with a warm towel.

28532AD0-74CD-4EFF-AA92-3A71D7A28F87.jpeg FF33135C-2D7F-4C1D-917C-B1626428EB68.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks a little more raised and gunky then I am comfortable with. A little reaction is common with an surgery and especially with internal sutures or glue sealing the incision. But that is a little more extreme and I'd be worried about an infection. Since your kitty is good with it, I'd hold a warm compress against it a few times a day. That would encourage any infection to drain and help with swelling but it definitely needs a vet to look at it just to be safe. Id also recommend taking photos frequently; you can later make a slide show and see how it is changing over time to see if it is getting better or worse with time easier. And most spay incision issues caught early enough are easily treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet was very laid back and told me not to worry. (I'm still worrying though and really appreciate your response). They said it looked like a common reaction to internal stitches.

I'm going to do what you're suggesting with the warm compress and also take photos to keep a (very) close eye on it.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a little bigger on the top of the incision site today, matching the bottom in size.

Thanks. A second opinion probably couldn't hurt anything, at any rate.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Called the emergency vet in town, who took a look at the photos and recommended we go to the vet who conducted the surgery. They fit us in for later this afternoon! It's not a second opinion, but it is getting a look at the lump and hopefully that will bring some peace of mind.

temperature - yes!
I welcome any other thoughts on questions to ask at this vet or things to ask for while in the appointment too!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it infected if so antibiotics needed
Does it need to be drained
What is causing lump, could it be hernia
What can you do at home to help, should you bathe it
Is the gunk around the wound glue or discharge.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank ya'll so much. Just wanted to post an update that the vet took a look and could tell the abdominal wall had closed up from a physical exam - no hernia, no infection either from the look & temp. The gunk was glue, and it is gone now, though there's still a little swelling. We kept Meri calm (no easy task) over the weekend, and she is doing great. All this while moving house, or I would've posted an update sooner.