Surgery risks old cats

jenny466

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had 2 cats develop a disease within weeks of dental procedures.One was a 9 year old who had just a cleaning & within a month began eating voraciously, yet losing weight-hyperthyroidism & passed within 6 months. Just recently my 13yr old developed some abscesses, so extractions had to happen. Fine the first week, now has kidney disease. What's with this dental procedures seemingly triggering something the cat had no signs of before. All my Vet could say that it happens. Nobody seems to have a clue. I'm tired of losing beloved family members over something that's supposed to be "no big deal" and needed for health? I'm at a loss, both cats wouldn't respond to any treatments or medications either. *sigh*

fishkybizniz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So very sorry you lost your kitty. My cat Snickers is 15. My cat has stage 1 kidney disease. She needs a couple of teeth removed. By the way, my vet said they don't really pull cats teeth out because it breaks or seriously damages their jaw. Extractions are performed by grinding the infected tooth out. The inability to chew properly is not a big deal for cats because their stomach acids can break down an unchewed animal. Kitty version of fast food? Anyways, about the anesthesia issue. My vet said the anesthesia is a powerful dose of toxins the kidneys need to filter out. In an old cat with kidney disease, it's a huge risk the kidneys will not effectively get rid of the anesthesia putting the animal into renal failure. I asked if she could have pain pills and he declined for the same reason. He didn't change her diet because the food is free of phosphorus and highly palatable. I've added Pedialyte to her water and also thin her food with it to help keep her Electrolytes up. My sweetie is in the downward slide of her life.

"God gave us pets because He knew adults would need teddy bears too " author: me

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So very sorry you lost your kitty. My cat Snickers is 15. My cat has stage 1 kidney disease. She needs a couple of teeth removed. By the way, my vet said they don't really pull cats teeth out because it breaks or seriously damages their jaw. Extractions are performed by grinding the infected tooth out. The inability to chew properly is not a big deal for cats because their stomach acids can break down an unchewed animal. Kitty version of fast food? Anyways, about the anesthesia issue. My vet said the anesthesia is a powerful dose of toxins the kidneys need to filter out. In an old cat with kidney disease, it's a huge risk the kidneys will not effectively get rid of the anesthesia putting the animal into renal failure. I asked if she could have pain pills and he declined for the same reason. He didn't change her diet because the food is free of phosphorus and highly palatable. I've added Pedialyte to her water and also thin her food with it to help keep her Electrolytes up. My sweetie is in the downward slide of her life.

"God gave us pets because He knew adults would need teddy bears too " author: me
Here is an entire thread devoted to kidney cats and anesthesia.  If your cat still needs her dental work done, maybe you'll find something helpful here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264183/kidney-disease-and-risk-of-anesthesia

When my Sven needed some teeth pulled, I can guarantee you they actually PULLED them, because they gave me his teeth in a little vial.  Not that I asked for them, mind you, but they gave them to me anyway
.  Four little cat teefies.  Funniest thing to receive these along with the cat when I went to pick him up