Surgery Or Not For A 13 Year-old Who Has Fibrosarcoma (a Malignant Lump)

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My beloved 13 year old cat has been diagnosed with a fibrosarcoma on the flank closed to his back bone. The vet said that he needed a surgery to remove it. It is scheduled next Monday. When I did research on fibrosarcoma, it says that it will likely grow back within a year in most cases. I am really worried about his age for the surgery. I heard that older cats don't do very well on major surgeries. I don't want him to suffer at this age. However, if I pass on the surgery, the lump will probably kill him eventually. In addition, he also has feline herpes virus, which can be triggered by stress etc. What do you think I should do? Go ahead with the surgery or let nature takes its course and just enjoy the rest of the time he has left with me.

Let me know your thought
I'd also like to know if anyone of you who was in a similar situation before.

Thank you

catmediator

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat_mediator Cat_mediator , I'm sorry for your kitty, I know how devastating it can be for yourself.

If it was my cat, I'd go ahead with the surgery.
My opinion is that it's better to try and fail, than to fail without trying.
Both my cats had surgery when they were older than your cat, and both survived the surgery.
Their diseases would have killed them anyway, I wanted to give them a chance to defeat the fate.
The cat in the avatar had her surgery when she was 16, and it was a very heavy and risky intervention. She would have died if I had given up, I tried, we won!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat_mediator Cat_mediator , I'm sorry for your kitty, I now how devastating it can be for yourself.

If it was my cat, I'd go ahead with the surgery.
My opinion is that it's better to try and fail, than to fail without trying.
Both my cats had surgery when they were older than your cat, and both survived the surgery.
Their diseases would have killed them anyway, I wanted to give them a chance to defeat the fate.
The cat in the avatar had her surgery when she was 16, and it was a very heavy and risky intervention. She would have died if I had given up, I tried, we won!
Thank you for your encouragement. It is very helpful. I guess as a owner, we always doubt our decisions. Their lives are in our hands....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't help much. Your vet must think your cat is generally in good health, if they are advising to go ahead with surgery. So, that is a good sign for a good outcome. Just make sure you are totally prepared in terms of what to expect after surgery, how to take care of him, and know what to watch for in terms of any surgical related issues that might crop up.

If you go through with it - I wishing you and your buddy the best! And, keep us posted!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I can't help much. Your vet must think your cat is generally in good health, if they are advising to go ahead with surgery. So, that is a good sign for a good outcome. Just make sure you are totally prepared in terms of what to expect after surgery, how to take care of him, and know what to watch for in terms of any surgical related issues that might crop up.

If you go through with it - I wishing you and your buddy the best! And, keep us posted!!
Thank you for your advice and support.

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know its almost a year later, but can you update me on your cat's progress? My 15 year old just had this surgery yesterday and I am so worried - the incision is huge. Just waiting for pathology reports to see if he got it all. I know about the possibility of it coming back - he said lets cross that bridge if it happens. She is very healthy otherwise.

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise