supplements

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, I found a few supplements that are good to give, such as probiotics, enzymes, fish oil, vitamins, etc. I have one picky cat & one cat that will pretty much eat whatever I put down. Lately I've been giving D-Mannose & a probiotic for breakfast & then egg lecithin for dinner. Oh also I've been putting pumpkin in the food because my cats seem to strain a bit when they go poop. So, when I "load up" the food, no one will eat it. Even my fat cat won't touch it. I really don't know how anyone gets their cats to eat food with supplements added. I had a time with the fish oil so I have given up. I seriously don't want to syringe them, any suggestions?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the food you are feeding is a complete balanced diet, there is no need to add in extra vitamin supplements.

Some cats don't like the taste of fish oil. Fish oil is good for the omegas but it's not necessary to give at all. I think there are omega containing cat treats you can try instead. Or offer some fish based canned food as a treat once in awhile.

Is there a reason why you are giving so many things to your cats? If the cats don't have any health condition, there's no need to add in extra stuff daily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the food you are feeding is a complete balanced diet, there is no need to add in extra vitamin supplements.

Some cats don't like the taste of fish oil. Fish oil is good for the omegas but it's not necessary to give at all. I think there are omega containing cat treats you can try instead. Or offer some fish based canned food as a treat once in awhile.

Is there a reason why you are giving so many things to your cats? If the cats don't have any health condition, there's no need to add in extra stuff daily.

Well just like in our lives, I know I don't get everything I should. Same with kitties. It's called preventative treatment, just like more humans need but most just go to the Dr when they have an issue. I am proactive with my & my kitties health.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only two things I know to suggest, which have worked for me are - 1.) mixing the supplements with baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut), and/or 2.) sprinkling FortiFlora on top of the medium you are using. I would try to give the supplements separately from their normal meals, just so you can make sure they ingest them, and use something like the baby food meat and FortiFlora to let them think it is a 'treat'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only two things I know to suggest, which have worked for me are - 1.) mixing the supplements with baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut), and/or 2.) sprinkling FortiFlora on top of the medium you are using. I would try to give the supplements separately from their normal meals, just so you can make sure they ingest them, and use something like the baby food meat and FortiFlora to let them think it is a 'treat'.
I did just get some baby food, was going to try that route. In the past I've used Fortiflora & yes all my cats will eat anything if that's sprinkled on top. The other thing I was doing, I have some dehydrated food, so I just crumble up a little bit on top of the food & usually they'll eat it. But as they get older I am feeding less raw, I don't want to cause a kidney issue.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cats hate any type of fish oil too. Salmon, sardine, krill, you name it, they won't eat if it's on their food. As for probiotics, I found that I had to start very slowly, maybe 1/8 of a capsule at first, and I always dissolve it in a little warm water before adding in the wet food. I think that help, perhaps a LOT :rolleyes2:. Then I slowly increase the amount I give them, but still I divide the probiotics between breakfast and dinner so they don't get too much in one meal.

Lots of cats don't like pumpkin, and it sounds like yours may be among those who don't. What I would do is try ONE ITEM AT A TIME to try to figure out exactly what it is they object too. Then if you want to continue giving supplements, just give them the ones they will willingly eat.

If your cats appear to straining in the box, you could try psyllium husk instead of pumpkin, try adding extra water to their already wet food, try adding in egg yolks once in awhile (again, they may or may not eat them - one of mine absolutely loves dried egg yolk (EZ Egg Yolk) but the other not so much. I give it to him plain, before his meal) , try exercising them more. Those are just a couple things to help.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The egg yolk (or lecithin) pretty much does a similar job to the pumpkin as far as regulating stools in my experience, and is much better for them as it represents something a cat would naturally eat in the wild. Just be careful if you are giving the lecithin every day, as you should be giving no more than 1/4 teaspoon a day due to the high phosphorous levels, especially if your kitties are older. I generally give a quarter (or half if the egg is small) a chicken egg yolk a week.

Raw or whole (unpasteurized) goat's milk is a good probiotic you may want to try, they may like it better than what you are currently offering. Bone broth can be good for extra nutrients as well and is often found quite enticing.

I never give my little extras on the same day, and definitely not in the same meal. One of my cats doesn't particularly like egg, so I mix it with their one fishy treat (a can of Fancy Feast fish flavor) for the week to entice him to eat it. I also had to start with miniscule amounts of the yolk to get him used to the change in flavor, and dilute it with some water as well.

If your cats are healthy then you definitely don't need to resort to syringe feeding supplements, just problem-solve as best you can.