Supplements &vitamins For Kitties

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so I've been making Opi's food fresh and I know he needs protein, calcium, taurine, vitamin A, and the B vitamins but is there anything else? Also what are some good stuff in his food for he health. Like for instance tumeric, ginger, black seed, sesame seeds, mint, cilantro, parsley stuff like that? I know cloves, garlc, sugar, salt, onion, tomato are out of the questio cause it's toxic to cats. So what normal everyday stuff I can just grab at the store that would be good for him. Also please name any other toxic stuff that could be bad for him or any advice on making cat food thanking you.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats only eat fresh meat, bones, organs supplemented with vitamins B-complex and E, amino acid taurine, lite salt for iodine, fish oil for omega-3's, and some egg yolk.

There are some great recipes at catinfo.org and at feline-nutrition.org. Feline-nutrition.org also has lots of good, short articles about cat nutrition. I think you'd enjoy reading some of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info :). Much appreciated! I forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure Opi is allergic to eggs. I gave him one egg once and he had diareah for a day. Not to mention his box a smelled like something had crawled in his litter box and died lmao xD. I know it was the egg cause his feces were yellow indicating that what he ate went through his system to fast. I never fed him an egg again and he never had any problems after that.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need to go by a recipe. You can't wing this. What's the recipe you are using?

Ratios are 80/10/5/5. 80 percent meat, 10 percent bone, 5 percent liver and 5 percent other organ. Then you add supplements. These percentages are not negotiable unless Kitty has some issue like kidneys and bone needs to be lowered.

Cats are obligate carnivores so what we consider good stuff? Kitty just poops it out. No veggies are needed. No mint, potatoes, peas, yams, blueberries, cranberries, tumeric, ginger, Black seed, seseme seeds, mint, cilantro and parsley (I've seen them all in cat food, don't use them). Nope none of that is needed. It's added to make humans think it's better for kitty. It's just marketing. Once a kitty is on raw their poop doesn't stink (not lying my girl could clear a room before). They tend to poop every 2-3 days on raw.

Usually you can leave the egg yolk (no raw whites should be used) out of the recipe you're using. So let us know the recipe. What meats you plan to rotate? Where are you getting your meat? From there we can help.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and if you think poultry allergy you'll want to avoid poultry, chicken and turkey.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he has no problem eating chicken. It's just the eggs that made him sick. He loves chicken meat and everything goes well when he eats the meat.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to get a clear good recipes to make sure everything goes okay. If anyone knows a good site that provides that could you please tell me. I've only been feeding him fresh for a few days now so I think it's best to feed him wet canned food until I know exactly what I'm doing. I will ask the vet as well. Seems it can be very vital to his health if I don't do it right. Can someone please provide a site for cat nutrition and more information on making your cat food. Also thanks for all the advice guys :) please keep t coming.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to get a clear good recipes to make sure everything goes okay. If anyone knows a good site that provides that could you please tell me. I've only been feeding him fresh for a few days now so I think it's best to feed him wet canned food until I know exactly what I'm doing. .
The most popular recipe to use is the one here Making Cat Food
http://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/
The recipe at http://www.catnutrition.org/ is also popular.

There are resources here: Raw Feeding Resources

Yes, please feed commercial canned food for now until you learn more about raw diets.

Raw eggs may be a little too rich for some cats to have. It's not an allergy or anything, it just does't agree with the tummy. A food allergy or sensitivity usually takes time to develop, like years, and symptoms typically include constant scratching and licking and raw sore skin.

Many vets are against feeding raw diets for various reasons so don't expect much advice or support from your vet. You do not need the vet's permission to feed your cat a raw diet anyways.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 listed great sites. We're happy to help you as you learn and have questions.

I'm assuming your cat is completely off kibble. It's best to do the first transition to canned food. Then timed meals with canned (some don't do this transition until they start raw). Then start them on raw slowly (there are exceptions). We do have a few people feed raw and canned.

As far as full raw when you look at the recipes you can decide your budget. Where you want to buy the meat from premade or if it needs to be raw you mix and balance. Deciding how you want to handle nutrients: premade nutrient packs (more expensive in the long run but convenient) or mix your own nutrient slurry (simple once you learn).

And a quick note. I know you'll see grinders listed on the sites. Even if you do your own meat and mixing not everyone buys a grinder. We can help explain that and other questions so feel free to read up on the site and ask away.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this information. I've never fed him raw eggs before. I don't like that idea even for raw chicken. Salmonella is a common serious issue where I live so I never fed him raw eggs or raw chicken because I was afraid of him getting sick. I actually never fed him raw anything yet. When I said fresh I meant not commercial dry food but real fresh cooked food. I will continue to feed him canned food until I know everything about making cat food correctly. It costs a pretty penny here but it's worth it for Opi's health. Thanks again for all the advice. P.S. I meant asking the vets about more vitamins and supplements he can take and how much he should take. Where I live even the pharmist recommend natural stuff before man made. Never hurts to ask.

Last edited:

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
No it's fine :) I heard raw is better for him so I don't mind looking at raw recipes to. When I know enough on how to make it correctly I'll do both cooked and raw recipes for him if that's allowed is it?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do cooked food for Huxley. So far though I have failed to make a batch of food with my own supplements that he will eat. I am still using Alnutrin (but it has egg in it, which I think he is having an allergic reaction to as he is allergic to poultry as well). For my own supplements, I used the recipe on feline-nutrition.org. There is a recipe section. Since you are doing cooked, you will have to scroll down and look at the " Variations" sections where they tell you how to supplement for the lack of bones as you cannot give cooked bones to kitty. I will try another batch this weekend, see if he'll accept the food with my own supplement if I mix it with the old batch. My little fellow is fussy and does NOT like change! If it doesn't smell/tastes like usual, he acts as if I am trying to poison him or something!! lol

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol, Opi isn't fussy just spoiled xD thank you for the info