Supplements For Respiratory Care?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone found a good respiratory supplement/treatment for a 4 year old cat with respiratory difficulties? He almost died when he was a feral kitten, from either distemper that was killing many at the time, or a severe respiratory infection. We could never catch him to treat him until he finally became so weak (and sack of bones) that we finally did. Cleaning his nose and mouth, and giving him some fever reducing medicine got him to eating again. In fact it was how we named him, he looked like a 'Dutchman' in the old portraits with his huge black mustache from nasal drainage. It left him with some lung damage I'm sure, and it was confirmed with an x-ray yesterday, his heart looks normal. He has a rapid breathing rate, and always has, but it became worse the last few days and I took him in, he was panting and struggling to breathe. The vet stated he had no fever, and absolutely no congestion or crackling when his lungs were listened to, which would truly indicate COPD which he offered as a diagnosis. He said his lungs were scarred.
Something else I wanted to pass on, his increase in difficulty was most likely due to a back injury (?! most likely jumping/falling? Inside cat!) and he was hurting to take full breathes. He said he found a very sore spot right in the middle of his back. So he recived a steroid injection and a long lasting antibiotic. Already a little better this morning. Stated if it returns, and not from an injury he could recieve 4 injections a year, but no more because they cause diabetes in cats. So I pray he doesn't really need them. He didn't seem to think it would necessarily shorten his life by a lot, but I want him to be comfortable and happy. So I wanted to look into what care I could give him. CBD oil? There is a 'Lung Gold' out there as a supplemrnt too, anyone tried it? I come here for all the wonderful advise that is given through experience. You all have helped me before! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, tips for helping him lose weight that work would be appreciated too, I plan on getting him a lot more exercise this summer with our new Catuary we built outside. He's 16 lbs and I would like him down to 12.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, from what you're describing it almost sounds like Costochondritis, which I've had before and is extremely painful when you try to take a deep (or even just a regular) breath. But I'll be darned if I can find anything at all about it in cats. Not sure if cats can get it, but since this may be related to an injury, and costochondritis can also be brought on by trauma , I'm just wondering if it's possible :dunno:. As far as supplements, I'm not sure. I'm a firm believer in CBD Oil for certain things, but what does your Vet say about it?

For losing weight, personally, I think wet food only is the way to go. That's how we got our little pudge to lose, after trying weight lose kibble to no avail. With wet food, you need to put them on a schedule, and then stick to it. You can then watch calories, and even more importantly (IMHO), carbs. More protein,less carbs. That way he will feel more full and not notice he's possibly eating less. Naturally exercise will help. If he doesn't like to exercise, you can try holding he food dish and simply walk around the house with it. He may follow you around and get exercise that way! You can walk all around as long as you can and even every now and then bend over and give him a lick. It's a win-win as you will both get a little workout. Also,my guy loved it when I tossed his treats as far as I could throw them so he would have to outrun the others to get them. And I only feed freeze dried 100% meat only treats, so zero carbs. But they do have calories so you need to take them into account for his total calories for the day.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking a good animal chiropractor would be a help in keeping his body in good condition, since the injury affected his breathing.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 about seeing a chiropractor. IF there is an injury that involves the rib, or where the rib joins the spine (subluxation or muscle injury), it can cause sever chest pain and shortness of breath. Also with injuries of the muscles around where the ribs meet the spine, you can get trigger points which send referring/shooting pain from the point of trauma, which then follows the rib to the front of the chest. It seriously feels like your getting stabbed right thru from back to front. And the resulting pain makes it very difficult to take a breath. With costochondritis, it is the inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs meet sternum, that can also cause chest pain and shortness of breath.
If the pain on palpation is along the spine, I would be more inclined to think an injury to where the rib meets the spine on the back.
But of course this is only if the injury is indeed related to the breathing issues and *IF* cats experience the same type of pain, from the same type of injuries, that us humans experience. Lets face it, cats are way tougher than we are!!!:D
I also wonder if her "poor" breathing habits and the scarring of her lungs may have caused some weaknesses or muscle imbalances of the accessory muscles needed for breathing and the diaphragm, which would cause her to be more susceptible to injury.
Sorry, my work is in physical therapy, so I may be way out to lunch on this, but I can't help it!