Supplements for cat when given Antibiotic?

D33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, so my 6 years old cat is been treated with an Antibiotic for the treatment of Pseudomonas infection.
Does your vet advise you to always give your cat any supplements like multivitamin, when it is treated in Antibiotic?
Does it important that supplements will be given to a cat when he is been treated with an antibiotic medicine? Does your vet always advise you to do so? What supplements are you recommending that had helped your cat before, in order to strengthen the cat's immune system?
Thanks for reading my post.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat's been on antibiotics, the vet suggests adding a probiotic like Fortiflora or Proviable to their food, because it's going to help replenish the gut bacteria that the antibiotics also kill off when treating infections (sometimes causing diarrhea). So maybe add that after asking your vet. Hope your cat is going to be okay!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, no vet of mine has ever recommended immune support supplements along side antibiotics. Immune supplements take time to work. If they work at all.

The only supplement I recommend in conjunction with antibiotics is saccharomyces boulardii. It is a yeast-based probiotic that will counteract the antibiotic-induced diarrhea. Antibiotics have a tendency to cause diarrhea because they kill good gut bacteria with the bad. S. boulardii, being yeast-based, is not affected. Search this site for "s. boulardii" to find one of my other posts with where to get it (Amazon, Vitamin Shoppe, Whole Foods, GNC, etc--Jarrow brand if you can find it) and how much to give (half a capsule twice a day mixed into food.)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never used immune support and once was advised against it with a dog with an autoimmune disease. I am not saying that they are not effective, but sometimes you need to know what is being supported.

My vets have suggested Fortiflora and Proviable. I have not ever been that impressed with Fortiflora with the exception of the fact that some cats really enjoy the taste. Proviable was better, but still in the "okay" category.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

D33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it. I will do a research regarding all these supplements and then I will consult with my vet. Thank you all 🙏

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We give our cats a daily probiotic even when not on antibiotics. What antibiotic is your kitty on? My girl had a psuedomonas infection several years ago and did 2 long treatments of Zenequin.

• Purraise
Reactions: D33

D33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We give our cats a daily probiotic even when not on antibiotics. What antibiotic is your kitty on? My girl had a psuedomonas infection several years ago and did 2 long treatments of Zenequin.
Hi Stephanietx,
Thank you for your reply, my dear cat has just finished round two of Marbofloxacin(three weeks for the second round, two weeks for the first round). Sadly we started to see the symptoms come back even while giving the Marbofloxacin for the second time.
I think that Zeniquin is another name for Marbofloxacin. How long did your cat has been treated with it?Was it helpful? Did you succeeded in eliminating this horrible infection?
Do you have any tips for me that may be helpful in the treatment?
Thanks for any help!

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing I was told was that if you give a probiotic, give it at a different time than (e.g., at least two or three hours before) you administer the antibiotic, because the antibiotic apparently can kill the probiotic, neutralizing its effect. Antibiotics definitely seem to mess with my kitty's gut, and I had a vet validate that this was not unusual.

D33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing I was told was that if you give a probiotic, give it at a different time than (e.g., at least two or three hours before) you administer the antibiotic, because the antibiotic apparently can kill the probiotic, neutralizing its effect. Antibiotics definitely seem to mess with my kitty's gut, and I had a vet validate that this was not unusual.
Hi, thank you for the information. Luckily, there weren't any gut problems while giving him the Antibiotics. I still wanted to inquire about any supplements that could strengthen his immune system while fighting this horrible infection.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat's been on antibiotics, the vet suggests adding a probiotic like Fortiflora or Proviable to their food, because it's going to help replenish the gut bacteria that the antibiotics also kill off when treating infections (sometimes causing diarrhea). So maybe add that after asking your vet. Hope your cat is going to be okay!
my girl liked fortiflora but was not effective. her onco rec Visbiome. been on it a year.it solved her diarrhea problem overnight! if she seems constipated i just give her 1/2 capsule.she was diagnosed with FGESF 5 yrs ago, removed part of her colon and the tumor. she rarely vomits but she does regurgitate if i let her eat too much at one time of her hypoallergenic kibble. small portions work for her. she has been on prednilisone since her diagnosis. she does have arthritis and she a little cra-cra. i have to find a solution for the pill pocket problem.

D33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my girl liked fortiflora but was not effective. her onco rec Visbiome. been on it a year.it solved her diarrhea problem overnight! if she seems constipated i just give her 1/2 capsule.she was diagnosed with FGESF 5 yrs ago, removed part of her colon and the tumor. she rarely vomits but she does regurgitate if i let her eat too much at one time of her hypoallergenic kibble. small portions work for her. she has been on prednilisone since her diagnosis. she does have arthritis and she a little cra-cra. i have to find a solution for the pill pocket problem.
Thank you for your reply here. Eventually vet didn't recommend any supplements in our case, but we are continuing with the antibiotic... I really hope your cat will feel better after what you wrote she has been through...poor thing.
I give my cat the antibiotic with something called easy pill- we just wrap the Capsule with that stuff and give it to him and he really seems to love this stuff...

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i had some left over fortiflora and i dusted the gabapentin capsule rolled in a tiny piece of pill pocket and she took it! it's a win for tonite. i will use that trick till she decides she has had enuf. cats r so picky! in spite o
Thank you for your reply here. Eventually vet didn't recommend any supplements in our case, but we are continuing with the antibiotic... I really hope your cat will feel better after what you wrote she has been through...poor thing.
I give my cat the antibiotic with something called easy pill- we just wrap the Capsule with that stuff and give it to him and he really seems to love this stuff...
she is doing very well. and she is well taken care of ! it makes ME sad that she cant jump up anymore. i wish they could find a fix for the arthritis. i DID hear about a new drug for it for dogs but the vet who was involved in the study told me he believes it will be safe for cats! YAYand he said it is not processed thru liver which confirmed my belief that adequan is what causes her liver enzymes to be off. cats r very clever and they catch on to the pill wraps. it took her over a year to say enuf! she is so funny even at 88 yo! (18 yo) my rule is to never stress her out. that is the rule t the hosp and the vets offc. be gentle with her and do not upset her. i stopped a vet tech the other day for putting her hands on her neck. it is unnecessary. and i dont want her afraid

D33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i had some left over fortiflora and i dusted the gabapentin capsule rolled in a tiny piece of pill pocket and she took it! it's a win for tonite. i will use that trick till she decides she has had enuf. cats r so picky! in spite o

she is doing very well. and she is well taken care of ! it makes ME sad that she cant jump up anymore. i wish they could find a fix for the arthritis. i DID hear about a new drug for it for dogs but the vet who was involved in the study told me he believes it will be safe for cats! YAYand he said it is not processed thru liver which confirmed my belief that adequan is what causes her liver enzymes to be off. cats r very clever and they catch on to the pill wraps. it took her over a year to say enuf! she is so funny even at 88 yo! (18 yo) my rule is to never stress her out. that is the rule t the hosp and the vets offc. be gentle with her and do not upset her. i stopped a vet tech the other day for putting her hands on her neck. it is unnecessary. and i dont want her afraid
Sorry for the somewhat late answer...I am really glad your cat is doing well! Sounds like you are taking good care of her :petcat:I don't know very much about the situation you described with the arthritis, but I'm sure that just to be around your cat every day and pat her and spending time with her is a great gift!
I always try not to overly stress my cat as he was and somewhat still is, a very stressed out cat. Your presence around your cat in the vet office is very helpful to her. When I took my cat to the vet, and the vet examined my cat, the vet allowed me to pat the cat and just try to calm the cat as much as I can while the vet examined the cat.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the somewhat late answer...I am really glad your cat is doing well! Sounds like you are taking good care of her :petcat:I don't know very much about the situation you described with the arthritis, but I'm sure that just to be around your cat every day and pat her and spending time with her is a great gift!
I always try not to overly stress my cat as he was and somewhat still is, a very stressed out cat. Your presence around your cat in the vet office is very helpful to her. When I took my cat to the vet, and the vet examined my cat, the vet allowed me to pat the cat and just try to calm the cat as much as I can while the vet examined the cat.
thnx for the concern. until gabapentin she would not allow me to pet her! 15 yrs! she has a complicated childhood! at the 3 vets we have been to, they do allow me to be in the room with her but when they examine her i have to get out of the way. the big prob comes fr having to bring her to vets offc for vet tech to pill her. i cant. one place wrks w/rescues(God bless them!) and she gets fleas there. i am always reluctant to give her flea meds with a compromised immune system. 2 diff places take her away fr me to pill her. i found out one was using a pill gun. i objected and they insisted it was fine as they did it again! my cat is VERY afraid of people and to be scruffed and a pill shot down her throat is not friendly to a frightened cat.i dont mind them thinking i am overreacting and a little crazy but i do expect them to honor my wishes. since i pay their salary. next wk we go to a new one! the "rules of engagement" will be explained b4 anyone puts a hand on her! the vet told me on her first visit "she wont live forever you know" #shotsfired

Attachments

D33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i think they get desensitized. i am used to it.
Yes, from all the cases and the emergencies they see every day, I don't think I could ever become a vet...
Thanks for sharing her pic...She looks so sweet. How are you dealing with all the hair shedding around the house?:runningcat:

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, from all the cases and the emergencies they see every day, I don't think I could ever become a vet...
Thanks for sharing her pic...She looks so sweet. How are you dealing with all the hair shedding around the house?:runningcat:
dont let those looks fool u. it takes a LOT of patience to handle her. the onco group at the hosp know her well! i am still fooled by her! she bullies me! i got a dyson when i got tired of lugging the vac out! at her age and/arthritis she is not "all over the house" anymore(silver lining!:cheerleader:i vacuum ev other day. the worse is when i wake up with hairs in my mouth! it is just routine after 18 years. as u know, the problems change with age! 5 yrs ago when i heard those words "inoperable cancer" my whole world changed and everything is now in perspective! #notcancer #misdiagnosed #mybaby

D33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
dont let those looks fool u. it takes a LOT of patience to handle her. the onco group at the hosp know her well! i am still fooled by her! she bullies me! i got a dyson when i got tired of lugging the vac out! at her age and/arthritis she is not "all over the house" anymore(silver lining!:cheerleader:i vacuum ev other day. the worse is when i wake up with hairs in my mouth! it is just routine after 18 years. as u know, the problems change with age! 5 yrs ago when i heard those words "inoperable cancer" my whole world changed and everything is now in perspective! #notcancer #misdiagnosed #mybaby
My cat has a short hair but he is shedding hair a lot...though I have a small lint roller that helps me clean all the hair... :dancingblackcat:
I truly hope your cat will feel better.:wave3: