Supplementing With Taurine

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My oldest girl cat Eve has been refusing her normal food but will eat Gerber's meat baby food or oil packed tuna that is finely crushed. We are working with the vet, but at this point those are the foods she will eat. Years ago I supplemented with taurine for an outdoor feral as he aged, but cannot remember how much I used. Any other supplement that I need to include?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to be tough to determine without knowing the nutrient analysis of the baby food/tuna.

It will be hard to tell how much phosphorus and calcium is in the baby food and tuna (unless you have more info?) and you want to have a 1.1.:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio.

Taurine is water soluble so adding more than less is probably better. I'm not sure about the exact amounts you would want. It will depend on how much you're feeding. Someone more knowledgeable might be able to help.

Without knowing the nutrient composition of the food you're feeding it's hard to tell what you need to add. There's Vitamin B's, E, A, iodine, manganese... all important nutrients.

Will your cat eat raw egg yolk? They are very nutritious and you may want to give her some a couple of times a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks so much. I might be able to get a food breakdown on a site like My Food Data or the like. Good idea. I will try raw egg yolks as well.

I am trying foods like Fussie Cat which looks like a high end can of tuna. I know it has carrageenan in it, but that is not the big issue right now.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. I might be able to get a food breakdown on a site like My Food Data or the like. Good idea. I will try raw egg yolks as well.

I am trying foods like Fussie Cat which looks like a high end can of tuna. I know it has carrageenan in it, but that is not the big issue right now.
Weruva might be another good option. Their fish flavors are basically like tuna.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had luck with Weruva years ago with a cat with appetite issues and will try some. I like that food, but my experience has been that my cats either love it or hate it. But worth a try.