Supplementing small batches?

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :)

I'm putting together an order of several 1-pound whole-carcass grinds (rabbit, quail, mouse, cavy) from Hare-Today.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to supplement these small portions of meat, since most recipes are for 3+ pounds of meat.

My plan is to mix the supplements for 5 pounds, and then to add 1/5 of the slurry to each pound of meat.  Is there anything I need to be aware of or take into account?

The following mixture would be for 5 pounds of meat (I excluded iodine since all the whole-carcass grinds include thyroid):
After I determine which proteins Coco and Callie will eat, I plan to order the 5-pound packages rather than the 1-pound ones.

Any thoughts/feedback/tips? :)

Last edited:

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like an expensive order! Your kitties will have a very refined palate in a few weeks [emoji]128521[/emoji]

Have you seen this recipe:
http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it-yourselfers

It is a very reputable website and their homemade raw recipe is approximately 5.8 pounds. Your supplement amounts are pretty equivalent to theirs. I think you're using more Vitamin E than they do but I don't know if it's excessive or not.

I hope they like everything! My cats have had the rabbit, mouse & cavies and they ate them all with gusto. Never tried the quail though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you seen this recipe:
http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it-yourselfers

It is a very reputable website and their homemade raw recipe is approximately 5.8 pounds. Your supplement amounts are pretty equivalent to theirs. I think you're using more Vitamin E than they do but I don't know if it's excessive or not.
Oops, that was a mistake on my part!  It also seems like I'm slightly over-supplementing vitamin B as well.  I'm trying to make my recipe fall somewhere between the Feline Nutrition one and Dr. Pierson's... I should be safe that way, right? 

Feline Nutrition uses 200 IU vitamin E and 200 mg vitamin B for ~5.8 pounds, and Dr. Pierson uses 400 IU vitamin E and 50 mg vitamin B for 3 pounds.

Updated supplement list:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Updating once again after doing some more math:
This is a comparison of the recipes I'm referencing:
 Dr. Pierson (CatInfo.org)Feline NutritionAnne Jablonski (Cat Nutrition)My recipe 
Raw egg yolks~3.3 (optional)~3.4~3.453
Taurine powder~3,333  mg~1,720 mg~3,489 mg3,000 mg
Fish oil~8,333  – ~16,667 mg~3,441 mg~3,489 mg3,750 mg
Vitamin E~667  IU~172 IU~698 IU400 IU
Vitamin B complex~83  mg~172 mg~174 mg150 mg

Last edited: