Supplementing Question

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My local raw feeding co-op just got access to Bulk Dog Raw Food, which has grinds that are 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% kidney. I'm getting chicken, beef, and rabbit. Do you think I can still use alnutrin for meat and bone with these grinds or should I just add supplements separately? Because it's ground I still want to supplement.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you can use Alnutrin for Meat and Bone.

Ingredients: Egg yolk powder, taurine, iodized salt, vitamin E, iron amino acid chelate, copper citrate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc oxide, vitamin D3, vitamin B12, vitamin B1.

I only add taurine, E, B-Complex, Lite Salt and egg yolks to my 80/10/5/5 mixes, so it looks like the Alnutrin is covering the basics, plus some minerals.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Alnutrin is convenient for smaller batches but if I read the directions correctly it would be a cost bummer for the quantity I put together each month. I use the taurine, e, b, lite salt and fish oil supplements. Biggest pain is opening all the fish oil gels it requires but orange&white orange&white uses tinned fish instead.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Alnutrin even on recipes that are not HT. Just be careful with using it for rabbit. I mix my own when I make rabbit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wasn't sure if using Alnutrin would add too much vitamins because alnutrin only asks for liver, not kidney. Well, I guess now that I double check they say "organs including liver." I guess I'll email them to make sure. I'm not totally sure what kidney adds, is it mostly B vitamins? HT's grinds don't have kidney most of the time, I don't think. The rabbit doesn't contain thyroid, none of the grinds do.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "other organs" are essentially mimicking a raw prey diet, where the cat catching whole prey would eat not only muscle meat, bones and liver, but also eat the kidneys, pancreas, spleen, thymus, brains, sexual bits ( :eek: ). Essentially, the cat would eat everything but the intestines (and would eat those too on small prey like a mouse).

There is also teaching in holistic practice that says eating kidney builds and maintains strong kidneys, eating the thyroid gland would maintain the thyroid (iodine), etc. Whether that is "witch doctor" old school thinking or not, I don't know. But I figure giving the cat as much of the whole animal as possible "might help, can't hurt". Might help, can't hurt is how I was taught to feed raw. If I can't find (or am too lazy to drive across town to the Asian or Hispanic markets) for "other organs", a multi-glandular supplement will do in a pinch.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, interesting. I don't feed PMR but I do know that in those models you need other secreting organs besides liver. I don't know that I've fed any grinds with kidney before, so I guess that was just throwing me off.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats probably eat too much kidney compared to the "other others". lol Kidney is easier to source.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wasn't sure if using Alnutrin would add too much vitamins because alnutrin only asks for liver, not kidney. Well, I guess now that I double check they say "organs including liver." I guess I'll email them to make sure. I'm not totally sure what kidney adds, is it mostly B vitamins? HT's grinds don't have kidney most of the time, I don't think. The rabbit doesn't contain thyroid, none of the grinds do.
I think you just need 10% organ, and at least 5% should be liver. Alnutrin should be fine! :)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marta emailed me back and said it was okay to use alnutrin for grinds that include both kidney and liver.