supplement that might help cats with Calicivirus

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone has a cat with this virus and are there any supplements I can give to help boost the immune system?

I give them L-lysine twice a day but I heard the L-lysine does not really help with this type of virus. We just went through a bad flare up with several cats having ulcers in there mouth and on the lips. One stopped eating for several days. This happened in March and they are just now starting to feel better.

I was told by a vet to give them a supplement to boost there immune system but the one she recommended has soybean oil and they have problems with soy. I told her about the soy and she said not to give it to them but didn't know what else to recommend. I have found some other stuff but they have brewers yeast and they can't have that either.

They are a colony of feral cats so it has to be something I can just add to canned food.

Thanks

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
i posted in your other thread suggesting echinacea. there are quite a few commercial products:

Commercially Available Supplements to Support the Feline Immune System 
  • Only Natural Pet Immune Strengthener
  • Pet Naturals immune support for cats
  • Resources feline immune system support
  • Cellular forte max3
  • Vetri-science vetri-dmg
http://www.vetinfo.com/best-feline-immune-support-supplement.html

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

They are a colony of feral cats so it has to be something I can just add to canned food.

Thanks
I'm not aware of supplements that help with this serious and often chronic illness.  Once they become healthy i would consider vaccinating as this can reduce the severity of future outbreaks, but if they are feral and untouchable then obviously this isn't an option. Two articles below, the 2nd one is very comphrensive.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_ct_feline_calicivirus

http://www.sheltermedicine.com/node/38

puck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious, what is the vaccine history of your baby? I do see positives in regularly, up-to-date vaccinated cats, and was wondering if yours is yet another of those statistics.

So, supplementing is not just isolated to what we normally think of. The word supplement can mean, "and supplement his regular diet with some added nutrition, give him some chicken, give him some egg, spice it up and make it tasty with some sodium free stock" for example. Or mineral supplements, such as adding the iron/Bvitamin complex nutritional supplements Lixotinic aka Pet Tinic.  Or, as is l-lysine, amino acid supplement, which, correct, is primarily to help limit replication of FHV and won't help your calici cat.

Nutrition is numero uno. B complex is numero dos. And consider bolstering GI health while his respiratory and immune systems are working overtime by adding Proviable or Fortiflora to his food.

Also, inquire with your vet about Atopica, cyclosporine generic name, as it not only is effective for the regular allergic dermatitis and atopy it's "named" to treat, but immune-mediated skin disorders and complexes also, such as EGC, chronic large burden parasitism, and even some stomatitis cases! It knocks back inflammatory cells, suppressing that excess response by the immune system to fight antigens off. Moderates it, rather than letting it blow up to nova level. Those ulcers may just subside on Atopica. Expensive, but worth it, and often can reduce to a lower effective dose gradually, such as go from daily to twice weekly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought my colony was getting better but I now noticed a couple of the cats have swollen front paws and the swollen lips are not really going away. One of them has sores on her back end by her tail and she keeps digging at them. She breaks out like this often even if she has been treated for fleas which I have not been able to do since 2011. She is also the one who will limp for a week or so every once in a while.

My vet will not give me anything for the cats unless she sees them and I can't afford that. Plus they won't go near the trap. She just told me to give them a vitamin supplement that will help boost there immune system. They have all been sick since the beginning of March. I feed 6 and only one cat seems to not have any problems and she is the mama to 3 of the cats.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

I thought my colony was getting better but I now noticed a couple of the cats have swollen front paws and the swollen lips are not really going away. One of them has sores on her back end by her tail and she keeps digging at them. She breaks out like this often even if she has been treated for fleas which I have not been able to do since 2011. She is also the one who will limp for a week or so every once in a while.

My vet will not give me anything for the cats unless she sees them and I can't afford that. Plus they won't go near the trap. She just told me to give them a vitamin supplement that will help boost there immune system. They have all been sick since the beginning of March. I feed 6 and only one cat seems to not have any problems and she is the mama to 3 of the cats.
i use Dancing Paws Multi Vitamin & Multi Mineral for Cats for my feral cats. i put it in lactose-free milk and freeze it when it gets hot here. a frozen treat for them. but i believe it has soy protein, so you might want to look at this product:

Life Extension, Cat Mix

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Cat-Mix-3-52-oz-100-g/14888

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Snugglecat, I mentioned in your other thread that I have used Vetri-DMG in the past. It used to only come in liquid form, but the liquid contains preservatives, so I'd probably opt for the tablet now: http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900380090

ETA: Also wanted to mention that if any of your cats have both calicivirus and an auto-immune condition (i.e., stomatitis, IBD, EGC, etc.), then it can be a delicate balance. Boosting the immune system may help combat the virus, but also may send an auto-immune kitty into a flare. I've experienced this.

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm just so overwhelmed with all of this. They just don't seem to be getting better this time and it's lasting longer then normal. Usually I just have one cat at a time that has an issue but I have all but one having problems at the same time.

Maddie is dealing with a sore on the front of her lip and swollen front paws

Tiger still has sores on her lip and her chin it's still swollen, just not as bad. When she yawns I see brown where teeth are but can't tell if its teeth rotting. They are both on the same side of the mouth. She is still losing weight but eating all her food.

Snickers has a swollen chin and sores running down her back. Her front paws look a little swollen. She is losing weight but eats all her food and steals from others.

Shadow, neighbors cat has lost fur in a bunch of different places. She no longer has fur on her ears and hasn't for a couple months now. I have treated her for fleas just in case. She is not eating much.

Christopher is not eating all his food like he usually does. He eats a little and walks away. Nobody else is feeding my group. He has clear discharge in his eyes and a clear discharge coming from his nose.

Mama kitty is the only one who has no issues except her skin ripples and she acts if something is on her back end every now and then. She tries running from it and sometimes because of this she has trouble staying in one spot to eat. She has had this problem for over a year though. She is the only one that has not lost any weight and eats her food all gone, most of the time.

I'm going to some stores tomorrow and still not sure what to pick up. I will just look around at Petco because that is the only pet store I will be able to get a ride too.

All this stress has caused me to have a Fibromyalgia flare up that has been going on for almost 2 months now. I just want them to all start feeling better so maybe I can start feeling better.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

@Snugglecat, I mentioned in your other thread that I have used Vetri-DMG in the past. It used to only come in liquid form, but the liquid contains preservatives, so I'd probably opt for the tablet now: http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900380090

ETA: Also wanted to mention that if any of your cats have both calicivirus and an auto-immune condition (i.e., stomatitis, IBD, EGC, etc.), then it can be a delicate balance. Boosting the immune system may help combat the virus, but also may send an auto-immune kitty into a flare. I've experienced this.
Can this be bought at a store? I have no way to order online.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am sorry to hear this, I've bee following the story for a while, I was hoping they'd be doing better. Can you local Humane Society help? Can you try and see if another vet will help you if you brought in all their files and a few pictures of them in their current state? I have used Vibactra, included a link  
And its worked well in clearing up colds and helping with skin scraps. Can you try feeding raw meat for a day or two and see if their appetite increases? Caring for cats, even colony cats is stressful, especially when they get sick or anything. Please try to take good care of yourself and rest, because if you get ill, you can't really help them.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Can this be bought at a store? I have no way to order online.
Probably not, unfortunately. Vetri-Science is pretty well known in the vet community, though. Perhaps your local vet can order it for you? Admittedly, I don't know the full story and any limitations you may have.

Since Vetri-DMG can be purchased online without a prescription, perhaps one of the specialty / boutique pet stores can order it for you? 
  Whenever I can't find something at my local specialty store, they always offer to place a special order, but I typically decline and just order it online.

I was in Petco today as well. I'll be honest, I didn't really see anything there that would be of significant help. Some Petco stores carry "The Missing Link" feline powder supplement. It's not cheap and I'm not thrilled with the ingredients for cats, but it is a whole food product and might provide a nutrient boost. I don't have any personal experience with it, so can't offer any feedback on its benefits and palatability.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Probably not, unfortunately. Vetri-Science is pretty well known in the vet community, though. Perhaps your local vet can order it for you? Admittedly, I don't know the full story and any limitations you may have.

Since Vetri-DMG can be purchased online without a prescription, perhaps one of the specialty / boutique pet stores can order it for you? 
  Whenever I can't find something at my local specialty store, they always offer to place a special order, but I typically decline and just order it online.

I was in Petco today as well. I'll be honest, I didn't really see anything there that would be of significant help. Some Petco stores carry "The Missing Link" feline powder supplement. It's not cheap and I'm not thrilled with the ingredients for cats, but it is a whole food product and might provide a nutrient boost. I don't have any personal experience with it, so can't offer any feedback on its benefits and palatability.
Thanks for looking at Petco. I have found 2 little pet shops around here and I'm going to see if they have anything or will order me the stuff you use.

I finally got a closer look at Christoper and his mouth is swollen and looks like some kind of sore there near his lip.. I can't get very close to him.

I just have one more question and I won't bug anyone anymore
           Should I continue giving them the L-lysine?   I'm confused because when I took Snickers in to see a vet in 2011 because she her eyes were really bad, can't remember what they called it but they said it was the herpes virus. They gave her a antibiotic injection and L-lysine. Now I'm getting told because they have mouth ulcers that they probably have Calcicivirus. Can a cat have both?  Okay sorry that was 2 questions.

Thanks again.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snugglecat  

I just have one more question and I won't bug anyone anymore
           Should I continue giving them the L-lysine?   I'm confused because when I took Snickers in to see a vet in 2011 because she her eyes were really bad, can't remember what they called it but they said it was the herpes virus. They gave her a antibiotic injection and L-lysine. Now I'm getting told because they have mouth ulcers that they probably have Calcicivirus. Can a cat have both?  Okay sorry that was 2 questions.
If I was in your situation, I would likely continue giving the l-lysine.

Yes, cats can have both FHV and FCV. All three of mine have FHV and two have FCV (the third likely does, too, except he's never shown symptoms).

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe so, yes, but they are not likely to. But if they did its likely to not be as full blown since they were vaccinated.

scoutuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello:) 

I was reading the thread on FCV and wanted to know if anyone could share their experience of supporting a cat with FCV.

I have a 5 year old ginger tomcat who got very ill at the end of last year, resulting on jaundice, pancreatitis and stomatitis.  My vet tested him for FCV and he test prositive.  His treatment programme consisted on antibiotics, a change of diet and painkillers.   Since January, he has been on antibiotics and in April he started on metacam anti inflamatory, once the jaundice and pancreatitis had cleared up.  Since then, we have not really been able to stablise him off antibiotics.  He seems well for about a week and then stops eating and starts to lose weight.  I am concerned about his long term prognosis and wonder how long we can or should keep this treatment regime going.  He is not the cat he was but he is too well to even consider having him put to sleep.  I have read that dental extraction helps with secondary infections but this seems very drastic.  My vet says that the FCV is causing the stomatitis that is leading tothe secondary infections.  I was wondering if there is anything I can do to tackle this at root cause - i.e. the FCV. 

vonerific

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I was reading the thread on FCV and wanted to know if anyone could share their experience of supporting a cat with FCV.

I have a 5 year old ginger tomcat who got very ill at the end of last year, resulting on jaundice, pancreatitis and stomatitis.  My vet tested him for FCV and he test prositive.  His treatment programme consisted on antibiotics, a change of diet and painkillers.   Since January, he has been on antibiotics and in April he started on metacam anti inflamatory, once the jaundice and pancreatitis had cleared up.  Since then, we have not really been able to stablise him off antibiotics.  He seems well for about a week and then stops eating and starts to lose weight.  I am concerned about his long term prognosis and wonder how long we can or should keep this treatment regime going.  He is not the cat he was but he is too well to even consider having him put to sleep.  I have read that dental extraction helps with secondary infections but this seems very drastic.  My vet says that the FCV is causing the stomatitis that is leading tothe secondary infections.  I was wondering if there is anything I can do to tackle this at root cause - i.e. the FCV. 
Hello ScoutUK, have you been answered?  How is everyone pets doing that have FCV?  I have 2 that have it.  they were diagnosed 2 years ago.  My 2 year old boy had soars on his tounge, and my girl wouldnt eat.  They were giving fluids and a round of antibiotics and stayed in the hosptital for 2 days for fluids.  Since then ive had them at home, and they have been good w/ giving Lysine in there food daily.   jump 2 years later March 2017.  My girl (14) came down with limping and not being able to breathe when she purrs.  They found out she has laryincal paralyisis., but along with that she has the classic signs of FCV. not eating, limping, tired all the time, sneezing.   My 4 year old boy is sneezing and has a water eye once in a while.  So, ive done some heavy research, and found threw a holistic dr. that the combo of three things... "Colostrum, Probiotics and Omega-3"  these 3 things will boost thier immune system and also help with IBS or any stomach issues.  You purchase them in Capsules, and mix with only a  little tuna juice or milk, or plain organic yogurt as the kitty is to have this on an empty stomach.   Last night was my first night giving it.   Its not going to fix my 14 year old of her Lyringical paralysis, but.. it maybe help with her syptoms from FCV, along wth her IBS and help with her limping and breathing.  And for my boy, .. help him from getting the FCV full blown symptoms.    I wish you the best of luck, and yes... i am also continueing with the Lysine.  

Snowdrop1965

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have a 5 year old ginger tomcat who got very ill at the end of last year, resulting on jaundice, pancreatitis and stomatitis. My vet tested him for FCV and he test prositive. His treatment programme consisted on antibiotics, a change of diet and painkillers. Since January, he has been on antibiotics and in April he started on metacam anti inflamatory, once the jaundice and pancreatitis had cleared up. Since then, we have not really been able to stablise him off antibiotics. He seems well for about a week and then stops eating and starts to lose weight. I am concerned about his long term prognosis and wonder how long we can or should keep this treatment regime going. He is not the cat he was but he is too well to even consider having him put to sleep. I have read that dental extraction helps with secondary infections but this seems very drastic. My vet says that the FCV is causing the stomatitis that is leading tothe secondary infections. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to tackle this at root cause - i.e. the FCV.