Super simple gluten free cake base recipe

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use this as a blueprint for my regular cakes for dad (he has to have a cake on the go for lunches :rolleyes: )

300g (approx 2 1/8 cups (?)) gluten free flour blend - I use Dove's Farm, but I'm sure others would work just as well ;)

200g (1 cup (?)) sugar - I use whatever is to hand. It seems to work equally well with light/dark soft brown as it does with granulated/caster :)

1tsp baking powder (make sure it's gluten free - for some reason some brands contain wheat flour :confused: )

1/8 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 cup vegetable oil (or other light oil...though I have used olive oil in a pinch)

1 cup milk (with maybe a splash or two extra)

2 large eggs

Spices/extracts/other flavourings as desired

I just put everything into a bowl and mix till combined and smooth. Over-mixing isn't such an issue with gluten free baking, as there's no gluten to overwork ;) The batter should be on the loose side to be sure of a moist cake - especially if you go heavy on the fruit.

I most often add spices and generous amounts of dried fruit, but this also works well as a chocolate/carob cake if you replace 1/4 of the flour with cocoa or carob powder. I don't even bother weighing the fruit, but just add until I feel like there's enough. Sometimes I make it a really fruit-dense cake, with the batter simply holding the fruit together, and other times I make a much lighter cake. It's very tolerant, and I've yet to have a fail with it (except for when I've burned it :rolleyes::lol3: )

This makes a more shallow 8" square cake or a deeper 8" round cake. In either case, the pan should be greased and lined on the base (I rarely bother with lining the sides too).

Bake at 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for 45mins -1hr. Timing seems to depend as much on the fruit density as the pan size.

This definitely isn't a fancy cake, but it's a great standby when I'm lacking energy or time. I can get it into the oven within 10 mins of entering the kitchen!

@Winchester - can you check I've got the conversions right please? I tend to think in a weird mix of cups (for liquids), metric and imperial measurements, and I'm not used to cup measures for dry ingredients ;)

Last edited: