Super sensitive back

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A strand of my hair came out while my cat was on my lap. I very gently moved it along her back to see if she could feel it and she jumped and looked back and meowed similar to when I try to comb her. Did not attack or anything, just like “Hey! What are you doing?” When I try to comb her, I can get one or two swipes sometimes but then she jumps, meows, tries to attack the comb like, “stopoppppp! go away!” Not as aggressive as “I’m going to scratch your eyes out” but definitely expressing her dislike of the evil comb. Once in a while I’ve gotten more in when I first put out her food but not always. (Eating while having my hair brushed sounds lovely, I wish she enjoyed it more).

I can understand being sensitive to a comb, but a single strand of hair barely touching her? I’m just curious if it’s the same for other cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had cats that react to a small ribbon being run across their backs, especially when they are not expecting it or don't see it coming. I suspect even with a strand of hair, it moves the fur on your cat enough that she can feel it. She could be particularly sensitive in that area, many cats are.

As far as getting her more used to being combed, have you tried those grooming gloves? If she likes being petted, she might be receptive to the gloves. Once she would get used to them, you could move on to an actual brush/comb.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hint about those gloves...if she's skittish, tuck it under your shirt for an hour before she sees it. It will smell like you, and be less threatening. Some cats are fine with them, but it's a good trick for shy, timid cats who react to anything new.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista didn’t like the comb or the brush or the gloves. What she tolerated though was my hand in pantyhose petting her. It does pretty well to pick up loose hairs.