Super Pregnant cat with brownish discharge

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Luckily she has let them nurse. The little girl is a feisty one and is doing great. The boy is a little dopy and took a bit to find the nipple. Mama is licking herself a lot and licking kittens lots. Is that ok? 80f ok since they are also with mom?
Its ok momma is licking herself some, but licking a lot isnt optimal... You can try to gentle stop her. It works sometimes. Otherwise you can perhaps draw a cut of tub sock over the incision? It depends if there are still visible nipples....

What is 80f? Is it 80 grammes? IF so, the weight isnt grandious, but it should be OK with any luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a little concerned about the temp of the area. There is a big fan
Its ok momma is licking herself some, but licking a lot isnt optimal... You can try to gentle stop her. It works sometimes. Otherwise you can perhaps draw a cut of tub sock over the incision? It depends if there are still visible nipples....

What is 80f? Is it 80 grammes? IF so, the weight isnt grandious, but it should be OK with any luck.
She has stopped licking herself. Luckily it was only a lot when I we got home. She's doing so well so far. Licking their behinds here and there. She hasn't left them yet. I meant 80 fahrenheit in the house for them. They haven't left mom's nipples / stomach area so I'm sure they are warm enough. They are 100grams and 107grams.

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If its not cold at your place, and they are with momma, it should be enough.

But good you have extra gears ready, if you notice they need it, or they are laying aside of momma.

For the boy, if he is weakish, or even begin to be lethargic, you can always try with putting a tiny droplet of white caro syrup on the gum, behind / inside of his lips. Gives quick energhy.
So she was doing great but she just moved them into a box in the corner of a closet and is growling a bit. I moved them out of there and made a safe box next to it and set them there. They are currently huddled together while she lays watching from a foot away...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm a little concerned about the temp of the area. There is a big fan

She has stopped licking herself. Luckily it was only a lot when I we got home. She's doing so well so far. Licking their behinds here and there. She hasn't left them yet. I meant 80 fahrenheit in the house for them. They haven't left mom's nipples / stomach area so I'm sure they are warm enough. They are 100grams and 107grams.
80 F is about 26 C - high summer warmth here in Sweden. I would say, you dont need no extra warmth, sooner a fan somewhere. Not that its draught on them, but so it becomes more endurable...

These weight mentioned are good, a good average or slightly plus. They should have very good practical chances, even if they got a difficult beginning. esp with a good momma (and excellent grandmomma!).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom may be feeling pain today. Did you get pain meds for home? She wants them in a dark private place and this is normal. Is the box big enough for mom to stretch out in? You can put a heat source on one end of the box if you think they need it.

My cat lived in a large box in my daughter’s closet for the first three weeks. When the kittens became mobile she moved them into my bedroom.

Put mom’s food, water, and litter nearby for now, and give her a dish a day of the kitten formula to drink.

The kitten’s weights are not bad. They should gain 6-10 grams a day or more, equal to about 4 ounces a week, so that at one month they weigh about a pound. :)

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom may be feeling pain today. Did you get pain meds for home? She wants them in a dark private place and this is normal. Is the box big enough for mom to stretch out in? You can put a heat source on one end of the box if you think they need it.

My cat lived in a large box in my daughter’s closet for the first three weeks. When the kittens became mobile she moved them into my bedroom.

Put mom’s food, water, and litter nearby for now, and give her a dish a day of the kitten formula to drink.

The kitten’s weights are not bad. They should gain 6-10 grams a day or more, equal to about 4 ounces a week, so that at one month they weigh about a pound. :)
Girl went from 107-117 in 12 hours and boy from 100-107 in 12 hours. That sounds good right? Boy is a little slower and needs to be put on sometimes. Girl is a pro!

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much time should they be spending with mother right now? Sometimes she comes downstairs just to lay down on the floor by me. If I lead her back she will go no problem tho. Also no pain meds because the vet doesn't have a safe option. I am monitoring her to see if it's worth the risk to help mom. So far she's managing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs breaks. Cats usually have an instinct of when to return to feed the kittens, or they cry and she hears them. An hour or so break here and there is okay at this age.

The weight gains are very good!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much time should they be spending with mother right now? Sometimes she comes downstairs just to lay down on the floor by me. If I lead her back she will go no problem tho. Also no pain meds because the vet doesn't have a safe option. I am monitoring her to see if it's worth the risk to help mom. So far she's managing.
Mom doesn't need to stay with her kittens all the time, it's normal for her to take breaks. However, when you mention "downstairs," is she going up and down stairs in your house? She has just had major abdominal surgery, so I would suggest that you confine her to just the room with the kittens, and put everything she needs in that room. The healing process will be easier if she isn't doing too much jumping or climbing.

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a heard a couple times now that when the kittens meow and mama isn't with them she gently growles and sometimes hisses. But then she goes and lays down with them no problem. What does this mean?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It means she is letting any “predators“ that may be near her kittens and causing them to cry know that she is not having it and she’s coming. It’s instinctual. Then she realizes she’s safe in the house and her kittens are fine. Nothing to worry about! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m having difficulty reading the charts, but if she is not gaining weight consistently, you need to be supplementing her by hand with formula and a syringe. Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Supplement her 2-4 times daily or as often as needed for her to catch up and gain weight. Please keep us posted!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks to be gaining steadily, but not gaining much. 6-10 grams a day is good, some days she hits that, so if she seems healthy I think she's doing ok. Are you giving the mom cat a milk supplement like KMR?

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks to be gaining steadily, but not gaining much. 6-10 grams a day is good, some days she hits that, so if she seems healthy I think she's doing ok. Are you giving the mom cat a milk supplement like KMR?
No, because my vet said i don't need to. She gets kitten food though. She is developing just like her brother, just not as big. He does tend to push her off the nipple with his size but i often make sure she doesn't miss out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe giving the mom cat some KMR would bump up the nutritional content of her milk. . .idk, it's harmless, might help, worth a try imo.

But yeah, it's possible the little girl is just little :). If she's gaining steadily, not losing weight, seems strong and active, then there's not much to worry about.