Young Cat
Purraise
About 3-4 hours. Majority the last 2 hours

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s not good. It sounds like she is experiencing dystocia. I think you need to get her to a vet to save the kittens. She may need a C-section. She should have been pushing by now. Please keep us posted.

P Patrici

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i noticed some blood in the liquid drops on the ground. She's currently calmly laying behind the fire place like nothing's wrong. I'm going to make some notes and call the emergency vet.

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did yes, they said to keep an eye on her but to bring her in to the vet in the morning. If anything changes, like bleeding then I need to bring her in.

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's in for a c section right now. She's also getting spayed. There are two with a heart beat still and one they can't find a heart beat. I will post another post but anything i should know or do or research of buy or prep for when she comes home and potentially with live kittens?

Jean Howard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's in for a c section right now. She's also getting spayed. There are two with a heart beat still and one they can't find a heart beat. I will post another post but anything i should know or do or research of buy or prep for when she comes home and potentially with live kittens?
One thing I know is that you have to keep kittens warm. Mom usually does this, but its good to help. Rice socks and heating pads are popular options. One way I've seen it done is with a 30-gallon tote, put down a thick blanket then a heating pad, and another thick blanket on top. But I'm in no way a kitten expert, so definitely look around the forums for more tips. Would probably be in cat care or cat health. Good luck to you and your kitty!!

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd really appreciate some help on what I should prepare. My cat is currently having a c section and spay to get her kittens out. She was loosing amniotic fluid with no contractions. There were 2 heart beats detected and one not this morning. The vet doesn't know if she's able to save them or if they will survive later and she doesn't know if my cat will except them or be able to breast feed. What do I need to know and what do I do now? Please help me prep for when she comes home.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Praying they will all be okay. If the kittens die at or before birth I dont think she will be affected by that so it will be the normal recovery from a spay and c-section. She will need a cone and some quiet time but should otherwise recover fairly quickly. And if kittens survive she will still be able to nurse and care for them.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After the c-section, they should call you to tell you the surgery was successful, and to let you know if the kittens survived. At that point, if there are live kittens, I would suggest picking up some kitten milk replacer and bottles / nipples, just in case. Most c-section moms can nurse their kittens normally, but If it does turn out that there is a problem with her milk supply (even a temporary problem), you don't want to be stuck in the middle of the night with nothing.

She will most likely be able to care for them just like any other mom, although she will probably be disoriented at first from the surgery, so you may need to stimulate them for pee / poop at first.

Wearing a cone after surgery can be tricky for a c-section mom, since it's hard for mom to lick her kittens with a cone on (especially if it's a hard plastic cone). Depending on her behavior, you might be able to take the cone off when you can keep an eye on her, to make it easier for her to care for her kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. So kmr, say KMR in powder. Or some kmr based on goats milk, whatever you can find. In a pinch is full fat goats milk OK. So Meyenberg? has a good dried goat milk. Raw goats milk is even better. Some source of glucose; say white caro syrup. Nipples; mini miracle nipple if you can get it. A needleless syringe or a dropper.
A heating source. IR-lamp, as used by rheumatics, and for Lizard terraries, is good. Otherwise you can fill a sock with rice, and heat it in micro 5 minutes. Wrap it in a towel and you have a workable heating source.
You can also carry the infants at your chest.

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! She's awake, but not happy at all. She has two live kittens right now but isn't excepting them just yet. I appreciate all the info while i tackle this when they come home tonight.

I have hot water bottles and rice sacks. The house is also 75-80 because we burn wood so that helps. I will try to find formula of some kind. The vet was keeping her a litte longer to see if she could get her to nurse.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet may sell formula. Pet stores have it, but do not buy liquid formula or Hartz brand. Buy powdered. She will not be wanting to wear a cone. The vet can give her a shot to stimulate her milk production, and make sure the vet gives you 3 days of pain meds to take home or mom will be miserable.

Also, ask the vet for a 1-2 mL syringe. You’ll need a tiny one for newborns. They may not take to the bottle.

Hot water bottles and rice socks must be wrapped in a towel after heating to avoid burns.
P Patrici

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the vet techs are probably syringe-feeding the babies right now, so ask them for formula, syringes/bottles, and tips on how to do it right. They should be willing to show you exactly what to do.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If at all possible, you do want the babies to get some milk from mama in the first 12 hours of life, not just formula. It's not the end of the world if they don't get it, but there is a limited window when they are able to absorb maternal immunity.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please post after you get her home. Hopefully the kittens are latching, you have formula in case, and you have pain meds for mom.

If the kittens are not latching you will be hand-feeding literally around the clock every 2 hours to save the kittens. No joke - it’s a lot of work.

Last edited:

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Luckily she has let them nurse. The little girl is a feisty one and is doing great. The boy is a little dopy and took a bit to find the nipple. Mama is licking herself a lot and licking kittens lots. Is that ok? 80f ok since they are also with mom?

Attachments

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I put a heated by them? Or is the hot water bottle and rice sack enough.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! All sounds well if they are nursing mom! Hurray! So happy! Check in tomorrow! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Should I put a heated by them? Or is the hot water bottle and rice sack enough.
If its not cold at your place, and they are with momma, it should be enough.

But good you have extra gears ready, if you notice they need it, or they are laying aside of momma.

For the boy, if he is weakish, or even begin to be lethargic, you can always try with putting a tiny droplet of white caro syrup on the gum, behind / inside of his lips. Gives quick energhy.

Last edited: