Super Pregnant cat with brownish discharge

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here and really hoping to get some support from people that have been through this before. My cat is on day 63-65ish. She's had discharge for a week now and today and yesterday it had a tint of brown to it. I'm starting to worry since it's been so long and no kittens. It's her first litter. Is there anything I can do to show her it's ok to give birth? Should I be concerned? Thank you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here and really hoping to get some support from people that have been through this before. My cat is on day 63-65ish. She's had discharge for a week now and today and yesterday it had a tint of brown to it. I'm starting to worry since it's been so long and no kittens. It's her first litter. Is there anything I can do to show her it's ok to give birth? Should I be concerned? Thank you.
Some brownish discharge is common. Its brownish problably because there is a droplet of blood. Common enough as long its not living blood.
She does have a nest, or even a couple of nests, readied?
Calm and nice in her room?
You do stroke her belly if she allows? Usually they do allow, and even demand. Its a nice massage, and helps things going.

Be sure she has a calcium rich food. Whatever she fancies. Low calcium level causes weak labor, so giving extra calcium cant hurt, may help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is perfectly normal. She may have 2-4 days left while her body prepares. Unless she is in distress or actively pushing for an hour with no success, let Mother Nature take its course! Do you plan to spay her after this litter? Do keep us posted! :)

P Patrici

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do plan to spay her yes. She was already on the list but it's a bit of a long story.

She was in heat from December 14-18 so I'm assuming it can't be much longer now. And 8 days of discharge seems so much to me. But she's perfectly content otherwise. I have multiple boxes set up around the house and she goes from one to the other throughout the day but still has lots of energy. I have two children so hopefully she won't find it too busy to go into labor. She's become very protective over the youngest lately watching her and being in her face if she cries.

I will for sure keep you updated and the support is greatly appreciated!!!!

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does nesting behavior look like? I'm getting anxious and starting to second guess everything iv learned. Sometimes I think she has all the signs of labour and then sometimes she's perfectly normal and acting like she's not even pregnant. We are 65-69 days now. Shes perfectly happy by the way.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What does nesting behavior look like? I'm getting anxious and starting to second guess everything iv learned. Sometimes I think she has all the signs of labour and then sometimes she's perfectly normal and acting like she's not even pregnant. We are 65-69 days now. Shes perfectly happy by the way.
Its quite common they take to the choosen nest firstly when its time. Because in nature they dont want to get the nest smelly and used too early, to lessen the risk of predators noticing its a nest there.

So its important she does have access to several nests, she will look them out, but quite probably wont use any of them before its her time. She may even deliver somewhere else, and carry her infants into the nest after the delivery. (which is wise, this way she leaves the mess elsewhere than in the chosen nest.).

So this exact behavior does have variations. :)

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry about all the questions I'm just getting worried she hasn't gone into labor yet when all the signs are there. But was wondering, i haven't felt the babies move very much today. They are big and lumpy and hard but not kicking the way they have in the past couple weeks. Should I be concerned?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, this is normal. Kittens line up in the birth canal and you feel less movement. All sounds well. Hang in there!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they are less moveable and squeezed after she dropped. that said, its another sign its near now. These kittens are alike parachuters; now they are crowded in the jumping out tube, ready to jump at almost any moment now.

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I show you a discharge picture?

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's been wanting me to stay close to her all morning with lots of purring and bitting mine and my husband feet if we walk away. But no contractions.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. That’s a lot of reddish discharge. She may be in labor even though you do not see contractions. It sounds like something is happening today. Keep us posted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats purr through the pain. You should see ripples down her sides when she has big contractions.

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has a little bit of liquid in her eye. Is that ok?
Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More mucus (plug) has come out, her back end is wet so I was wondering if maybe she lost some water? She's meowed a couple of times but I still don't see any visible contractions. She looks uncomfortable but not in destress.

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She removed the towel from the box she has been preferring the last couple of days and is chewing the cardboard. Should I be worried?

Attachments

Patrici

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lost a lot more liquid along her way but it's all water like, no colour. Still don't see contractions or pushing. No meowing. Just pasing back and forth a bit. I let her out of the room to see if she wanted to find another birthing spot.

How soon after water breaking and no kitten should I be concerned?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long has the clear fluid been leaking?

I am concerned that you are not seeing contractions.

P Patrici

Last edited: