super picky cat

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Anyone have a problem where they constantly have to switch there dry foods every few weeks or so?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your cat‘s teeth and have they had a dental check in the last year? Sometimes a cat eats kibble, they get mouth pain and they associate it with that food. You switch and then the same thing happens. I would try adding more wet food, less dry and be sure to mention it to your vet at your cat’s next visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Appreciate the response, he had his teeth cleaned at the beginning of December, and has always been picky with his food his entire life.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
6 months is long enough to have them checked again. Brushing their teeth is important especially eating dry food. What kind of cat do you have? Persions need canned because of the shape of their face

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't believe I have read about your problem here before. With wet food, yes, but not with dry. Some cats will suddenly tire of their dry food, but not consistently, and it's usually not really that they tire of it, it's normally that the manufacturer has made a change so it doesn't taste the same.

With your issue, you might seriously think about switching to another form of food. Canned, pouches, something like that. It just may be that he likes a wide variety, and that's much easier to do with wet food.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any chance it is going bad before they finish a bag?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will second Bri5. My cat only eats from the same dry food bag for 3-4 weeks. She starts to eat less and at one point either stops totally or only eats when she gets super hungry. I open a new bag of the same food, and she goes back to normal. I have tried storage thingies, packing small amounts seperately, etc but none worked. I only get the small 1,5-1,8kg bag now and give the last 1/4 of it to the street cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats do not like the bottom of the dry food bag, and I don't buy huge bags at that. They also like textures to be changed up to keep a variety. But yes, I do think that some cats are picky by nature with no other health problem present.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is a fascinating fact, it did start towards the end of the old bag. I have a brand new bag, will open it and see if that makes a diffence.

Thanks for the suggestion!