Sunscreen For Cats

anne3007

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
One of my cats has quite big , and light ears and she is prone to mast cells (if this is the correct word in English). So when she goes outside and it is sunny outside, I want to make sure she is well protected.

What kind of sunscreen do you use for the cat? I now use Dermoscent sunfree, which is for dogs and cats (I live in the Netherlands, I don't know if this product is also known abroad).
However, my cat already panics when I want put it on her ears. She starts to drool from anxiety. I don't understand why she hates it so much because it doesn't seem to smell and i think it can't be painful? However, such a whitish haze remains on her ears, where her ears get a bit like purple after a few hours (just for a couple of hours).
I wonder if this is normal or that she just might not be able to withstand this sunscreen.
Are there other sunscreens on the market that are safe for cats? What is your experience with this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oddly enough when I looked up Dermoscent sunfree, I am finding on several web sites that it has been discontinued (at least in the US) - of course, with no explanation.

And, when searching for safe sunscreens or sun blocks for cats, I keep running across the same statement: "There are currently no safe sun screen/block products for cats."

Is there any way you can limit her time in the sun and buy her a UV tent enclosure to use the rest of the day?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps re-creating a wheel isn't necessary.........

anne3007 anne3007 - this thread might help you: Sunscreen that's safe for cats Post #8 is promising.

For information on 'ingredients' to avoid if using sunscreens on cats, Google exactly this: "sunscreen toxicity in cats".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anne3007

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oddly enough when I looked up Dermoscent sunfree, I am finding on several web sites that it has been discontinued (at least in the US) - of course, with no explanation.

And, when searching for safe sunscreens or sun blocks for cats, I keep running across the same statement: "There are currently no safe sun screen/block products for cats."

Is there any way you can limit her time in the sun and buy her a UV tent enclosure to use the rest of the day?

Thank you for all your responses!
It's weird that Dermoscent sunfree has been discontinued in the U.S. There must be a good reason. I am not gonna use that stuff anymore because I believe it is not good for her.
Unfortunately I can't find any other solution so far, except for keeping her inside the house between 12.00 and 15.00 when it is sunny. And I will also look for a tent!

Mud? Never heard of that! But I can relate. I will ask my vet next time I will go there, and also let her examin her ears if everything looks good!