Sunday's Question of the Day - Feb. 22, 2015

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They say relationships would be better if we greeted our spouses the same way we greet our pets. And I have to admit, I do greet my pets with more enthusiasm than any other humans.

How do your cats greet you when you come home? How do you greet them back?

I've noticed I almost always greet Kismet by saying "Hello kitten, you're a small cat", and then she gets pets. She usually sits or stands up to see who's coming in the door, and then she mews when she sees it's me.

Regardless of who's coming in the door, if Mo hears the lock turn, he'll get up and RUN to the door meowing like he's been alone for weeks, headbutt our shins, mark us, and then stand facing away from us doing tippy toes waiting for some butt pats. He's super excitable. I'll usually exclaim "MAAAAAOOOOO!" to him in a high pitched voice. This is why I choose to not greet my SO in the same fashion.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes Sophie is waiting for me near the front door but more often then not, I have to go to wherever they are. It really depends on what time I get home. The later I get home the higher the chances are that she'll be waiting for me near the door to scold me for being late for dinner.

If I get home at my usual time, Lilith is usually on her favorite platform in the cat tree napping or just relaxing. I go pet her and tell her I missed her. Sophie is often on my bed or curled up in my laundry. I greet her also and tell her I missed her. Then I go see Henry AKA Brother. I go in his room, chat with (ok AT) him, pet him and tell him I missed him and what a good boy he is. Then it's time to fix everyone's dinner with Sophie supervising.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a long drawn-out "Haaallooooo", and he stretches on the scratching post near the door. He runs away from door knocks, but if someone enters with a key, he's usually interested to see who it is.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli is usually waiting right inside the door to the entryway when I come home. I greet him with "Mogli Monster!", and he rubs against my ankles and squeaks.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on circumstances.  If my BF and I are out together, they typically meet us at the front door together.  Especially if dinner is late lol

Cocoa, has her own meet and greet for me in the evenings.  I usually get home well after my BF, and I guess she has connected the sound of the car in the driveway, or the lock beeping, whatever to me arriving home.  Many nights, she's already at the back sliding door waiting on my me.  It's so adorable.  Of course, she usually also goes running off when the door opens since she knows she isn't allowed outside.  

When these things don't happen, I'll walk in and immediately after kissing BF hello, walk first to Cocoa who is usually in the dining room window with a "Hello Pussycat! How's my kitty?" and she squeaks and goes all mushy.  Then, to Casper who I usually find on the chair in the living room (only there for the winter - it's one of our porch chairs) He gets a soft "Hello Big Boy, how's my boy?" because he's half awake in most cases.  He's older - not as easy to get roused or excited :p 

Edit: Everyone gets kisses.  Including my BF 

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My three are usually napping when I get home from work, so they'll all three get up and greet me near the door (especially since they know that dinner will follow shortly after Mommy gets home!)   They all three get head scritches and I tell them how cute they are.  Hubby has mentioned he didn't get as affectionate a greeting as the cats do,
 so I started greeting him with a scritch on the head and saying "Oh, you're so cute, my hunny bunny wunny" (that's what I say to the cats).  We have fun with it.  

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they are not asleep and I'm out the door calling their names before I go in they come and receive me. If they are asleep I'm usually the one that's gotta look for them. Sometimes they pay attention and other times they will wait until Anthony gets home to even say hi.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my most awesome time of day!  Sometimes Speedy is just waiting in the window and I wave to her.

When I open the door, she is there and I start saying OooooooOooooooohh ! with my voice going up and down.  Speedy then proceeds to drop on her side and I rub her belly and start again with the Ooooooooooh,  Every time I say that, she rolls on her back to the opposite side, then over and over again.

Once we settle down, she proceeds to sniff me all over to provide herself with a map of where I've been all day!  This is also a time for me to tap on a cat food can so she can have her wet food.  Did I mention I love this time of day???   She is so happy when I then clean the litter box, and she will go immediately in it, she must say, "nice and fresh"!   

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm home all the time; so I guess I don't get much of a greeting anymore.  When we've been out I'll just talk to them in a slightly baby voice and ask them if they had a good time and enjoyed having the house to themselves.  Sometimes they come to the door; but because I've got 2 munchkins coming in with me they don't do that as often unless they are really hungry.  And lucky for them; their food cabinet is a mere 3 feet from the door; so it's a good place to greet me from. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If I've been out for a walk I come back through the woods calling "Kitties, kitties" and they run down to the edge of their enclosure to say hi. They follow me back up to the house on their side of the fence and then gallop through the house to the front door to meet me.

If I've been out on a supermarket run and come back in the car they all mill around my feet begging for whatever treats I've brought them. If I'm not fast enough they'll jump in the box of groceries and start rummaging through it to see what they can find.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I come home from work, Mollipop is on the bottom step, waiting for me when I come in the front door. She chirps at me and I always say, "Hi Babesh!" 

Muffin is usually up on the top step, waiting. As I come up the steps it's "Hey, Muffin-Stuffin!" I always get a " 'Bout time you get home, mom!" kind of meow out of her.

And then Tabby is sitting on the floor right in front of the piano stool and I always say, "Hi Babette! How goes it?" And she starts telling me about her day as we all walk out to the kitchen. 

The other three are usually back in the bedroom, sleeping the sleep of the recently dined (Rick has already fed them). The girls wait for me to come home, so that they can get a second supper of dry kibble.

And as I give them their kibble-supper, Rick is usually seated at the kitchen table, checking the mail. I say, "Hi Dear!" and after I'm done serving the kibble to the girls, I walk over and give him a smootch. So the girls get kibble; Rick gets a smootch. 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I walk in the door, I say "HEY BABIES!!!!"  and whoever gets there first gets kisses....be it human or cat....usually it's the cats LOL they are always waiting at the door for me when I get home.......... 

Mainly because they know it's feeding time

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Athena is usually sitting on the arm of the chair of the living room when I come in, and as soon as she sees me she squeaks. I then usually say 'hey, Squeaker' and give her a bit of a scratch before I head upstairs to let the dog out. 

The moment I sit down though she parks in my lap and becomes the Great Limp Immovable Purring Object for the rest of the night.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends. Usually Angel is in his bed, so he will just look up, as if to say, oh, your home. Then I go give him love'ns.

Sometimes, he is sitting in the window that looks out onto the porch, & when he sees me, I say Hi baby! and he starts meowing, & jumps down to come greet me at the door.   

My favorite is when he is so excited to see me, sometimes he goes over to his tree & starts scratching the post, & batting his mice around, just lots of playing, & I can see that he is happy I'm home.

Last  week he did something he has done once & a while. As soon as I came in I had to pee, so while I'm going, he is just rubbing against my legs, & when I leaned forward  to talk to him, he just kept  leaping up,

& giving me tons of kisses. 
 I said," oh my, you are happy mommy is home aren't you!  Thank you for all the kisses!"  

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 2 are in their cat room when I get home, but I can hear them start meowing when I start climbing the stairs. Nero always rubs my leg and stretches out on it to reach me, so I bend down and let him give me a kiss. I always say "Hello my sweet boys!" :)