Sunday Question of the Day, 30th August, 2020

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I looked good as I was at my heaviest weight ever but my oldest son commented on how nice I look for his Confirmation about 5? years ago.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Only when I wore my silk 18th C. gowns and wig to Halloween parties. The gowns looked like this, but not as elaborate (I hand-sewed them for authenticity). It;s called a robe a la Francaise :
1598881585567.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so - I gave my eldest niece my old photo albums and some family heirlooms when she visited in February.

I know I posted some here years ago, but a search shows the photos from those "prom threads" didn't survive the transition to a different platform.

ETA: I did find one of my "Soph Hop" gown - sort of a "Heidi look". :lol: :lol::lol:
View attachment 349230
You look sooo beautiful!!💖

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had good and blah days, so when it comes to everyday attire, I can't really think of anything specific...Although I'd like to think I looked great on my wedding day! lol!

I do remember for Halloween, when I was in college, I dressed up as Marilyn Monroe.
I was in Kensington market (Toronto) the year before and found the most gorgeous vintage dress that just oozed old Hollywood Marilyn. It was white with rhinestones around the neckline. A sleek yet flowing gown. And it was only 40 dollars! I bought it knowing that I could dress as Marilyn someday. I styled my already blond hair in her signature style, and it turned out perfect. And of course did my make-up with the sharp eyes and red lips....I seriously looked like a (smaller busted :rolleyes2:) version of her, and I looked stunning!!!!
Everyone commented, even people I didn't know, a couple even asking for a picture.
I know I was dressed up as someone else, but really, it was just a dress and hairstyle that made me into "Marilyn", so "I" still looked like me, so I felt pretty good that I could pull it off.
Any pics? Sounds stunning!! and lots of fun!

Only when I wore my silk 18th C. gowns and wig to Halloween parties. The gowns looked like this, but not as elaborate (I hand-sewed them for authenticity). It;s called a robe a la Francaise : View attachment 349250
WOWZA, 18 century silk dresses, you must be quite the seamstress!

One of my best friend's wedding day. I was a bridesmaid and it was a Halloween wedding. I went as Mary Poppins and had my makeup done professionally. I never wear makeup, so it felt nice to feel snazzy for pictures. Here's a picture I took of myself in my car after I had the makeup done (I was parked) and then the full costume with the bride and my sister (also a bridesmaid).
View attachment 349209 View attachment 349210
You guys look amazing and sooo happy!!!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It must have been when I was a teenager. I put on a black one piece bathing suit. I won runner up in a beauty contest and a trophy. My hair was shoulder length and wavy. I am sure it had been washed and pinned up with bobby pins, which was the way to curl your hair back then unless you had someone put a perm in.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never been a stunner and never will be, lol. I don't get comments on how I look, only on pieces such as "That dress is pretty" or "Your eyes are really blue" or "your hair is really brightly colored" or "those boots are cool." I didn't go to prom, haven't had any anniversaries, definitely not married (haven't even been to a wedding that wasn't when I was a kid), etc., so no reason to get "gussied" up in the traditional sense.
I think maybe the best compliment on my style wasn't even direct. I wore an outfit and did an OOTD instagram post and the singer of one of the local bands liked it and then like a little while later wore basically the same outfit (Doc Martens, Levi's, a Misfits t-shirt, and a blazer) He wore it better and had probably forgotten all about my post, but I was still indirectly flattered since he does a lot of style pics haha.
me:
1599011941171.png

him:
1599012250499.png

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
It must have been when I was a teenager. I put on a black one piece bathing suit. I won runner up in a beauty contest and a trophy. My hair was shoulder length and wavy. I am sure it had been washed and pinned up with bobby pins, which was the way to curl your hair back then unless you had someone put a perm in.
Wowza!!! Do you have a pic?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
hehe try explaining what an 8 track is to a 12 or 13 year old kid
There's a German TV show called Comeback oder Weg! (Top or Flop) where celebrities appear with their children. The kids are shown devices or products like carpet sweepers, pagers, mimeograph machines, rotary telephones, answering machines, or manual typewriters from the 70s to 80s or 90s and have to guess what they are and how they work. Then the parents demonstrate and reminisce. At the end of the show the kids vote on whether those devices should make a comeback. It's really funny!

I hate to think how many old photos have been lost. My parents had a Polaroid camera back in the 1960s, and many of the photos they took have faded so much you can barely make out the images, let alone scan them.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
There's a German TV show called Comeback oder Weg! (Top or Flop) where celebrities appear with their children. The kids are shown devices or products like carpet sweepers, pagers, mimeograph machines, rotary telephones, answering machines, or manual typewriters from the 70s to 80s or 90s and have to guess what they are and how they work. Then the parents demonstrate and reminisce. At the end of the show the kids vote on whether those devices should make a comeback. It's really funny!

I hate to think how many old photos have been lost. My parents had a Polaroid camera back in the 1960s, and many of the photos they took have faded so much you can barely make out the images, let alone scan them.
The show sounds fun!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
hehe try explaining what an 8 track is to a 12 or 13 year old kid
My ex-neighbor was about 21 at the time he told me 8tracks, cassettes, and VCRs were making a comeback!!
I still have my VCR, still works and we bought in in 1985, ha!!