Sunblock and over active oil glands

jmvito

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi fellow cat-lovers. I have 2 questions about my 10-year old, DSH, neutered male.

1). He is white with pink skin. As he ages, he likes sleeping on the deck in the sun more and more. Sometimes he snoozes in the shade under a deck chair. Is it safe to apply sunblock to his ears and nose?

2). He's always had an oily spot on his back at the tail base. As he ages, the spot enlarges and now covers up to about mid-back. The hair in that area does not shed because the oil holds it in. The area also collects dust, dirt, and looks and feels oily. Does anyone know of any topical treatments I can use to help reduce this oily spot?

Thank you,

Joyce

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Joyce,

I would actually check in with your vet for some suggestions as to what sunblock and SPF to use - some are safe, some aren't. Since white cats can sometimes burn, your vet should be able to recommend something. I remember always having to put sunblock on my horse's nose as a tenn of she would get a burn.

As for the oily hair at the base of the tail, some male cats do have an overactive gland there. Again. your vet can likely recommend a shampoo or treatment (diet changes sometimes help) to keep that under control.

Good luck!