Summoning the Cat Peanut Gallery

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a dilemma and I need opinions on what to do. I currently have 4 litter boxes. Two upstairs and two downstairs. The last two weeks, neither cat has used one of the downstairs litter boxes. Zero #1 and zero #2.

So... do I just get rid of the box downstairs that hasn't been used in two weeks? Do I move it next to the one that has been getting used?

Neither got used that much anyway as the cats both tend to use the two upstairs more often. But I had boxes downstairs just in case they had to go and couldn't make it upstairs.

Not sure if it matters but the one they used was by the sliding glass door so maybe they like to look outside while they potty?? 🤣

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have one which is no longer used as well and am on the same horns of a dilemma as you are. My concern is that if my cats remember it as a spot that used to be okay for elimination they might do it again in the same spot minus the box.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had no problems moving litter boxes about - so long as the ones they use most stay in the same place. When cats have been sick, or foster kittens are being allowed to roam the house, I have had litter boxes in the living room or bedroom and some of my adult cats will use them. But, when the kittens have gone, or the sick cat has recovered, the litter boxes go as well. Perhaps I've been lucky, or my cats are simply co-operative, Just remove one at a time if you're worried. I'm fairly certain that adult cats will accept your decision and not cause a problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had no problems moving litter boxes about - so long as the ones they use most stay in the same place. When cats have been sick, or foster kittens are being allowed to roam the house, I have had litter boxes in the living room or bedroom and some of my adult cats will use them. But, when the kittens have gone, or the sick cat has recovered, the litter boxes go as well. Perhaps I've been lucky, or my cats are simply co-operative, Just remove one at a time if you're worried. I'm fairly certain that adult cats will accept your decision and not cause a problem.
Not really worried other than the fact that as small babies, they would cram into one box at the same time. Not sure if it would happen now. I moved the one box next to the one they used by the sliding glass door. I will wait another week and see if they start using both. If not, one will go.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to remove one, you may want to consider moving it upstairs instead; it sounds like the boxes are more in demand there.

Margret

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to remove one, you may want to consider moving it upstairs instead; it sounds like the boxes are more in demand there.

Margret
I have two in my bedroom and there is no where else to put another one. Not going to have one in our living room or kitchen. Bathrooms are too small.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a dilemma and I need opinions on what to do. I currently have 4 litter boxes. Two upstairs and two downstairs. The last two weeks, neither cat has used one of the downstairs litter boxes. Zero #1 and zero #2.

So... do I just get rid of the box downstairs that hasn't been used in two weeks? Do I move it next to the one that has been getting used?

Neither got used that much anyway as the cats both tend to use the two upstairs more often. But I had boxes downstairs just in case they had to go and couldn't make it upstairs.

Not sure if it matters but the one they used was by the sliding glass door so maybe they like to look outside while they potty?? 🤣
Try reducing to it to 1 litter box down stairs.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 1 of new litter box location... still not used. Other one had #1 and #2 in it. :ohwell:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took my sabbatical and never updated this. By Day 2, they were using both litter boxes downstairs after I moved the other one to in front of the sliding glass door. I guess they like a view of the backyard. Boone and Gracie still don't use either a ton so I really only have to change the litter every other week.

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:) So they like a view when going potty - like mine who ignore the discrete litter box preferring to make a public display :oops:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am finally pulling the trigger today and getting rid of the downstairs litter boxes. A week or so ago, I got rid of one because neither had been used in a month or two. The lone box is still not getting used so I am going to bag up with litter and put the box in the storage room with the other one. I can use the litter next week when I clean the two upstairs and will only have to buy one bag. I am going to put the litter mats upstairs in front of my dresser since that seems to collect litter.

My only regret is that it's the downstairs ones that aren't being used instead of the two in my room. I really didn't want litter boxes in my bedroom and have never had them in my room with all the cats I have owned as an adult. I have tried numerous times to get them out of my room but it never worked so I am just going to accept it. The good thing about them being in my room is that it's easier to scoop because I am in my room off and on throughout the day whereas I rarely went downstairs.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I did get rid of that one litter box I mentioned earlier. No one has sought out that corner, so it seems fine and I was glad to have one less. I have a litter box in the bedroom. Not ideal, but it helps to spread them out around the house.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:lol:adopt another cat or two or three your boys are grown and ready to fly the nest one day:anticipation: or get another pet weasel/ferret

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the only question that hasn't been asked or answered is - is there a door to the downstairs that gets shut on occasion?

SG has a litter box downstairs that she hasn't used ever - nine years. But there is a door at the top of the stairs that does get shut and I want the litter box/boxes to always be available just in case. I've never left someone locked away from the box, I count noses to be sure, but it could happen.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:adopt another cat or two or three your boys are grown and ready to fly the nest one day:anticipation: or get another pet weasel/ferret
Absolutely no more ferrets. They get cancer too often and too young. Had 6 in my life and I can't take the heartbreak.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the only question that hasn't been asked or answered is - is there a door to the downstairs that gets shut on occasion?

SG has a litter box downstairs that she hasn't used ever - nine years. But there is a door at the top of the stairs that does get shut and I want the litter box/boxes to always be available just in case. I've never left someone locked away from the box, I count noses to be sure, but it could happen.
There is a door but it never gets shut.