Summertime Question

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering how much warmer summertime temperatures matter to cats. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys air conditioning on high at all. I have one unit in the main part of my apartment, and a ceiling fan in my bedroom. Normally during the summer if it's over 90, I will keep the a/c on 73 or so while I'm gone and if it seems too warm when I return, I'll lower it a bit. Is that too warm for Luciano? I don't want my electricity bill to go out of control & my apartment is usually quite breezy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very adaptable. Don't worry about him unless it gets unbearably hot or cold. I keep my a/c set at 76 when I'm at work.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normal body temperature for a cat is 100.5° - 102.5° Fahrenheit (38° - 39.2° Celsius). Normal body temperature for a human is ~98.6° F. We have a tendency to keep our houses a bit cooler than our cats like. If the temperature won't give you heat stroke it won't give your cat heat stroke, either.

Margret

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't like air conditioning for myself and generally don't turn it on until the house gets up to about 85. Then I only cool it to 80. Even with it that warm I find my cats sleeping in the windowsills where the sun is the hottest. :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, this all made me feel better. I haven't put on the a/c yet, but we had a couple of 90 plus days last week. Now it's back in the 50s.