Summer Salads

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not even June but today is definitely summer weather, sunny and temperature in the low 90s Fahrenheit. This morning I made a pasta and tuna fish salad that will be our dinner. And I've been thinking about other salads I make.

There's chicken salad. Others like potato salad, egg salad, and coleslaw are good but are really side dishes not a main course. Of course that's O.K., potato salad and coleslaw as sides for hot dogs and hamburgers are excellent in summer.

Shrimp salad is nice but takes too much shrimp, somehow needs more than when shrimp is the protein for a hot dish in cooler / colder weather. Lobster salad would be wonderful - if we could afford it!

What are your favorite hot weather salads?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have snow on the ground today
This one's a side dish, but that jello and cottage cheese one, with pineapple and whipped topping :) pink, orange, green too fun lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like this Martha Stewart recipe: String Bean, Arugula, and Pasta Salad Recipe I typically use any pasta shape that I have in the pantry. I'm not sure where to get yellow wax beans now The grocery store I used to buy them by the pound from closed last fall and the regular chain supermarkets do not sell them, just the bags of green beans. I'll have to look at the farmer's markets.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Antipasto salad is always good in the summer. I use romaine lettuce, chick peas, salami, chopped chicken, sweet and red peppers, chopped mozzarella, artichoke hearts and black olives in mine, with a vinaigrette dressing.

Also bean salad, which has kidney beans, green beans, chick peas and onions in a vinaigrette.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is another summer salad. A tub of cool whip, small can of mandarin oranges, large can of drained crushed pineapple, large tub of cottage cheese, two cups mini marshmallows and a half small package of dry orange jello mixed together.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a poke salad for lunch.
A locally owned spot does build-your-own poke bowls.
I went spicy tuna and salmon with jalapeños, onion, edamame, cucumber, & pineapple.