Summer Projects

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Notice I did not say "Summer Vacations". Do you have any Summer Projects that you're going to be working on?

Our neighbor has given us permission to remove the bottom dead branches from the trees that are over on our property; actually, our neighbor told us that we can just remove all the trees. Uhhh, no. Not our job. My project for now is to get rid of those branches that are behind the Shed. That will give a bit more sun in the morning and early afternoon. But the whole property line looks really bad with dead branches and we need them gone. That's going to be a chore and a half. None of them are our trees. But those dead branches are over on our property by a good 10-12 feet. Rick's been complaining about it for a few years, but wouldn't go over and talk to the neighbor. So I did. He was really nice about it. He knows it looks bad, but he doesn't live there. He actually lives and manages a farm and uses that property for his elderly parents to live with caregivers. We're going to get rid of those branches and then plant grass there.

At the top of the driveway, in front of the pool is an area with steps leading to the pool gate. At one time, it had 4 spreading junipers, but we've gotten rid of 3 of them. The one left is scheduled to go this summer. It's a chore because of digging down in to get the roots. But it needs to be done. And then I think we're going to just plant grass.

Rick is going to attack the flower bed in the back yard. He's moving the remainder of the daylilies from the flower bed over to the east side of the pool fence. I have some daylilies over in the front of the Shed that don't bloom well because of the shade. He's moving them to the pool fence, too. We have three rose of Sharon bushes in the flower bed that he's going to remove. They don't do well there and it's time for them to go. And while he's reorganizing the flower bed, I asked Dear Richard if I could take part of the flower bed and turn it into a bit of an herb garden. He wasn't particularly amused, but decided it was easier to give me part of the flower bed than it was to create an herb garden elsewhere.

We have a good 10x10-foot patch of lily-of-the-valley. And now they're starting to move into the main flower bed. We're moving some of those over to behind my Shed; that's why I'm working on creating a bed there. I also want to put ferns over there. We're also moving more daffodils and hosta over to the Shed once the daffodils can be moved. Once they've bloomed, I usually leave them alone until the beginning of July to make sure they've had the chance to prepare for next year and then remove the leaves.

So we have our plans and, hopefully, everything will work out and we won't kill ourselves (or my back!) in the process. Some of the projects will only take a weekend or so; others a bit longer. We're planning on replacing our deck next year, so everything should look nice.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do homeowners get to have seasons with no projects? 🤪 We’ve trimmed branches over our yard from a huge pine thats close to our house but costs too much for the neighbor property owner to justify cutting down. Tree companies have quoted thousands because they need a bucket truck with the house here. Its a rental property and the home isn’t in any danger of it reaching there should it come down like the one next to it did. Its a healthy tree the company we use said so I’m not worried myself. It has lost some big branches in the last year but they come straight down.

For ourselves I am projected out after having the house tented and fumigated last fall and then a new door a few months ago. And encapsulating the crawl space last summer. And fixing old termite damage and dry rot on the garage door fAnd… yeah!

But we just put half down on flooring for the dining, living, foyer and halls yesterday. The store is having a Memorial Day sale so that helped but yikes! :lol: I’m going to paint the lower half of the walls in our livingroom before we start installing the flooring. I did spot a beautiful area rug in the flooring store too. It’ll be a room-by-room DIY project again. DH is handy and has a friend whose knowledgeable about so much that can advise him. We do need our woodstove moved for it but I think we should pay for that.

We’ve done so much ourselves to save money but sometimes its just better to hire a professional. Like with our new door. It took a few tries to get it just right.

Oh! We also will be fixing the shower in the kid’s bathroom. Right now its only running cold water because of lack of use. The only tub in the house is in the master bathroom so they always used ours and the big closet was used as a pantry. Time to change that up!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a ways through my summer projects. So far I have gotten the garage rewired and new gutters on the front of the house. I am still trying to find someone to patch my shed roof and this weekend I finished a couple week project to update a gross sixty some year old garage workbench. Because it had no wheels and was insanely heavy, it sat In the same spot for the nearly twenty years I lived here. As I have previously posted it took nearly every power tool I owned to get the top off and that is where the bulk of the weight was. Here it is minus top and finished
DD76D920-6286-4016-AD98-3EB498ABADE5.jpeg
544F6B1F-5268-42EC-B4EB-417B539755B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...considering our basement flooded 3 weeks ago, my summer project is working on the remediation and also sorting and purging of all the stuff that was stored down there. I decided that I'm not going to put anything back in the basement without seriously considering whether I need it or not...you don't realize how much crap you accumulate until it's staring you in the face, filling every nook and cranny of your living space...just in the way, all the time.
I may have a yard sale, but may also just donate my stuff...I haven't decided yet as I'm not sure if I'm even up to having a yard sale...they're a lot of work.
Due to the flood, my spring yard work was postponed, so I'm going to have to pick away at that.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be “raking the forest.” (That actually means extensive limbing & chipping, borrowing goats to mow grass, getting neighbors to do same, helping my volunteer fire dept. wherever possible, sharing firewood w/ my 80 year old neighbor, putting the wood chips between garden beds).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick is going to get a dumpster for our living room/hallway carpet this week. We're going to start tearing it out and putting down the new floor.

The neighbors are excited about the dumpster; they have trash that can be tossed in. Whenever one person in the neighborhood gets a dumpster, everybody throws their stuff in, too.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We have a ton of things that need to be done around here but I think quite a few will be put on hold due to cost and my having having a detached retina. Recuperation will be slow.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rick is going to get a dumpster for our living room/hallway carpet this week. We're going to start tearing it out and putting down the new floor.

The neighbors are excited about the dumpster; they have trash that can be tossed in. Whenever one person in the neighborhood gets a dumpster, everybody throws their stuff in, too.
You just reminded me I’m going to need one for all our carpet too. Almost 800 square feet worth. :cringe:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm too ambitious when it comes to projects, so I always have a very long list of things I need/want to do. My goal this summer is to install a fence and gate on the side of my garage where I currently have a very crude attempt of a fence to keep my dogs in the yard. I want something that actually looks nice and a gate on that side because it's not as steep as where the other gate is located (and currently the only access point to my backyard).
I also want to install a rain garden because I've been having issues with water getting in my basement when it rains a ton in a short amount of time.
I'm finishing up redecorating my craft room/guest room/cat room. I have a bed in there now and I moved the cat tree in there too. I need to figure out some storage solutions for all of my yarn. I have a pegboard full of yarn that I've been winding, but I still have a lot more to store.
Lastly, I want to redo the catio and make it screened in and sturdier. It's currently made of PVC pipe, fencing, and zip ties and it's held up for the last 3 years, but it's not nice looking. Flora also knows she can get out if she pushes on the door, so currently I have the door zip tied shut to keep her from roaming.