Summer Bbq Potluck Suggestions

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need suggestions for what to bring to a summer bbq potluck. The burgers, hot dogs, etc are taken care of by the host. The host said to bring whatever we would like. I'm sure someone has the drinks covered. Hopefully there will be non-alcoholic options :drinking:I don't want to bring a giant bag of chips or something easy. Maybe a "veggie noodle" salad? Or this Recipe: Bacon & Spinach Orzo Salad

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve brought an orzo salad to summer potlucks, and it was a big hit. And your recipe looks yummy! I’ve also brought lemon bars. Those are always popular, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or just corn for grilling. For 10 people, I should plan on buying two dozen ears:think: I'll check with everyone so we don't end up with too much of an item.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've taken orzo salad, too. A big winner. I've also made a pasta salad, using bottled Italian dressing (chunks of pepperoni, onion, the pasta, green peppers, tomatoes, chunks of cheese, etc) instead of mayo. What about crock pot baked beans? Once you put it all together, it cooks with no more hassle. Take it in the crock pot, plug it back in, and they serve themselves.

Some dips with fresh veggies.

Usually I'm asked to bring to bring a huge platter of assorted cookies.

Crockpot Baked Beans

1-1/2 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, diced (I use a nice large onion)
1 lb. bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Brown beef and onion, add bacon and cook until soft. Drain and add to crock pot.

Drain:
2 cans dark red kidney beans
2 cans butter beans
2 cans pork and beans

Add:
1 cup brown sugar (I use not quite 3/4 cup)
1 cup white sugar (I use not quite 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup ketchup
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. vinegar
4 Tbsp. dry mustard

Mix everything together in the crockpot, turn on high. This should cook for about 30 minutes, then turn to low for about 5 hours. Stir occasionally, just to have a little taste.

Note: They can be sweet, especially if you're not used to sweeter baked beans. I've cut the sugar down a bit for us. You could probably decrease the amount further, if desired. I like to add a bit of horseradish to the beans.

If you taste the beans at the beginning of the cooking process, they may taste very harsh to you. The flavors will mingle over the cooking time and it will even out.

I like to make these beans for a summer picnic or family dinner because I can use the crock pot. That frees my oven space for other items. Plus you do it all ahead of time and then the beans will just cook on their own. Nothing last-minute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions!

I've decided to bring corn for grilling and spiced edamame in their pods. Easy and simple and not messy to transport. I just need a head count so I can buy enough corn the morning of the bbq.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds good. We're having a potluck at work next week. I'm bringing BBQ meatballs (crockpot) and pasta salad with marinated mozzarella balls, sharp provolone, red onion, black olives, grape tomatoes, sweet cherry peppers and Good Seasons garlic & herb dressing that I make with red wine vinegar. The only thing I need to decide on is what shape pasta to use. Rotini or farfalle I think. :yummy:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Bean salad is good and easy. You rinse and drain a can of kidney beans, yellow beans, green beans and garbanzo beans. Add a few tablespoons of onions and marinate in a vinegarette (oil, wine vinegar, sugar, pepper and garlic salt)