Sukis' first week

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This afternoon Suki will have ruled us for a week. We got the tree in yesterday and she already is using it. Suki will eat when I am in the kitchen, but if I move suddenly or make noise she sprints out.
We are hoping this kibble will help get her teeth cleaner. I don't like the idea of trying to brush her teeth. I was never good at brushing our dogs teeth.
Suki has not been on my lap since the one night.
She gets the zoomies every so often and is very funny to watch.
I think she is getting used to us.
j

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The kibble won't help much but you could look into a dental water additive :) I've never used one and so I don't know what the ingredients are...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We are hoping this kibble will help get her teeth cleaner.
I think this is more of a myth and there is relatively very little evidence to back this up. Please refer to the Article about whether dry food does anything to clean your cat's teeth: Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat’s Teeth?

I understand that it's not always easy to clean your cat's teeth. I had greater success with our dog than any of our cats but I thought this Article would have some helpful information for you: How To Brush Your Cat’s Teeth

BTW, Happy One Week with Suki! Glad to hear she likes her new tree and is using it. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The kibble package says it helps with tartar. I am only going by that. The shelter said she had bad breath. Hubby hasn't commented on it. I'm in the midst of allergy season so I can't tell:)
j

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! The kibble package says it helps with tartar. I am only going by that.

Pet food companies will put all sorts of labels like those on the package as a marketing gimmick to get people to buy. A food that also cleans teeth? Must be great product! :p No dry food helps clean teeth, not even prescription dental diets. Only manual scrubbing of teeth will remove food particles and bacteria, just like it does for your own teeth. Using a yummy flavored pet toothpaste will help make the teeth brushing process easier. CET has a poultry flavored toothpaste that most cats like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having experience 2 dogs, I know I won't be brushing Sukis' teeth. I she need to get her teeth cleaned by a vet so be it. I will just hope her genetics aren't tilted towards bad teeth!
j