Sukie Was Run Over And Died

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. My husband and I went six months without a cat when we lost our Mattie. We then decided to adopt an older cat because of the same reasons you stated. He was four when we got him and will be turning six later this year.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
A car accident is a terrible thing to cope with. In fact, cats and humans alike - we never know whether this minute is not the last of our life. That's the journey of life. My tears and comfort feathers to you.
++++

I second @Anne - senior cats have little chance to be adopted, why not help them?
Senior cats would be grateful for a few years of love even if the end result was to go back to the shelter if they outlived you.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I totally sympathize with your loss. Every time one of my outside cats is absent for dinner call I go and look to see if they are on the road. Last year I lost a 6 month old to being hit by a car and it was the very next day after being neutered. I joked about him maybe deciding that he couldn't live without his missing parts and went looking for them, but it was a puzzle as he never went on the road. And he was shaping up to be a really good cat. It just happens.

However -- the result of your loss brings up a very good topic, that of people being concerned about their pets out-living them. This is something that can happen no matter what the owners age is. And you don't necessarily have to die. I was friends with an older man who developed dementia. As it progressed it became more difficult for him to take care of his cats. Eventually he had to be help with a lot of things and the people caring for him did not appreciate taking care of the cats also. So one day they gathered them all up and took them out and shot them. It was a pretty horrible thing to do in my opinion, they were just trying to make things simpler in their opinion. But for 2 years after that this man went to his back door and called to his "bright eyes" which was the name of the cat that used to always sit with him. Then finally he gave up calling her and shortly later he died. I have been haunted by that. But there might be a solution to that kind of thing.
In most countries it is possible to set up a trust for pretty much anything. It would be possible for you to make a trust that would provide for your cat if you became unable to do so. The trust would specify that an allowance would be given to whoever provides for the care of the pet for as long as it lived and the trust money held out. As little as $100 or $200 a month would be plenty enough incentive for someone to take care of them. A $5000 trust would last for 4 years or more. By then I would expect whoever was caring for the cats would have enough concern for them to continue even without a trust check. So setting up something like that should ease your mind about getting another companion.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I So one day they gathered them all up and took them out and shot them. It was a pretty horrible thing to do in my opinion, they were just trying to make things simpler in their opinion. But for 2 years after that this man went to his back door and called to his "bright eyes" which was the name of the cat that used to always sit with him. Then finally he gave up calling her and shortly later he died. .
In my view, sometimes we have to remember forgiveness. Which is indeed one of the hardest thing to do, although necessary.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I totally sympathize with your loss. Every time one of my outside cats is absent for dinner call I go and look to see if they are on the road. Last year I lost a 6 month old to being hit by a car and it was the very next day after being neutered. I joked about him maybe deciding that he couldn't live without his missing parts and went looking for them, but it was a puzzle as he never went on the road. And he was shaping up to be a really good cat. It just happens.

However -- the result of your loss brings up a very good topic, that of people being concerned about their pets out-living them. This is something that can happen no matter what the owners age is. And you don't necessarily have to die. I was friends with an older man who developed dementia. As it progressed it became more difficult for him to take care of his cats. Eventually he had to be help with a lot of things and the people caring for him did not appreciate taking care of the cats also. So one day they gathered them all up and took them out and shot them. It was a pretty horrible thing to do in my opinion, they were just trying to make things simpler in their opinion. But for 2 years after that this man went to his back door and called to his "bright eyes" which was the name of the cat that used to always sit with him. Then finally he gave up calling her and shortly later he died. I have been haunted by that. But there might be a solution to that kind of thing.
In most countries it is possible to set up a trust for pretty much anything. It would be possible for you to make a trust that would provide for your cat if you became unable to do so. The trust would specify that an allowance would be given to whoever provides for the care of the pet for as long as it lived and the trust money held out. As little as $100 or $200 a month would be plenty enough incentive for someone to take care of them. A $5000 trust would last for 4 years or more. By then I would expect whoever was caring for the cats would have enough concern for them to continue even without a trust check. So setting up something like that should ease your mind about getting another companion.
I have specifically excluded the demented insane animal abusers my husband is forced to call family from our will and left it nasty enough I doubt they would challenge it. The insurance money would be their concern and how to get their filthy stinky fingers on it. When someone makes a will they need to make sure to specifically exclude people as well as name someone. If the person you name can't or decides not to a judge will name someone. Its not uncommon to see mom's cat dumped at the shelter to be euthanized because the kids were too busy fighting over the china.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on the loss of Sukie. I see that you have received some very good suggestions. I am sure that there are rescues who desperately need your help as foster parents - if you foster a cat or two (either seniors/babies/ferals) that will allow the rescue to take in another kitty in need, either out of the impound or off the streets. It would be a beautiful way to honor Sukie.:angel:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I think an older cat would love to be adopted by you and Patricia.
My Vincie is 17 and I have had her since she was about 6 weeks old,
the daughter of a stray who died after having 6 babies. My Vincie was
the only one who lived.

When its time to adopt perhaps a senior is the way to go.

Again, I am very sorry about your dear Sukie.

Hugs,

Mia

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Our two and a half year old blue X Alley cat, Sukie, was run over and died three days ago. She was micro-chipped and the driver of the car took her to an all night vet who scanned her chip and rang us up with the news. We are so grateful to him that we were spared the long wait without any knowledge of what had happened to our missing cat and we suggest that every cat should be micro-chipped, particularly those who live in cities.

As we are an elderly couple, any cat that we have now will be likely to live longer than either of us and it means that Sukie was the last cat that we can have. She was such an independent cat with such a strong personality and we shall miss her for the rest of our lives.
I don't want you to feel we're walking over Sukie's grave nothing ever ever ever replaces one you lose. Because life is unfair no matter how long they are with us one of the best ways of honoring that love is to share life with another. Grieving is a whole other set of emotions.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KittensMom has expressed it so beautifully and I wish to emphsize and repeat it, not only to Sukie's family but also to anyone who is reading this thread, whether they are just cruising this site in search of answers, or are deciding about joining TCS, or are other grieving members. This is a safe place to openly grieve. And if anyone is inspired to go foster a cat/kitten or adopt a senior kitty, then Sukie's star will shine one notch brighter and her grieving family's courage in sharing their story will be saving lives.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dearest Geoffrey and Patricia,
I am so very sorry to read about the passing of your dear Suki, how absolutely heart breaking, you will both be in my prayers.

Fly free sweet Suki and land softly,
You are so loved!