Suggestions

Cordie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, Im not sure this is the correct forum as I did not see one that described my problem. My boyfriend has a cat that he and I love very much. The problem is, I am extremely allergic to her. Up until a weekago, I have been on multiple allergy medications and it made life bareable. A week ago, I found out I am pregnant. So... now I am unable to take my allergy meds or get any allergy shots. We live in a small trailer and attempts to keep her in her own area have been thwarted as our trailer is old and she finds new openings into our bedroom. I dont want him to have to rehome her, even temporarily, but I also dont want to put myself or our baby at risk. I was thinking of making/ buying an enclosure we could attach to one of our windowns where she could hangout, have her litter box and escape my dog while also helping keep the allergies and exposure to the litter box to a minimum. Ive found tons of enclosures, but none I would consider using year round. I live in NH so it can get very cold outside. Any suggestions are so so appreciated. I should also add that she loves being outside, but is not the kind of cat that could fend for or protect herself, so she cant be outside without a safe and warm enclosure. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. :)

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to the Catsite and congratulations on your pregnancy! Not to long ago I responded to someone about environmental type changes and products that have helped greatly with my cat allergies. I have linked some of those forums below. As you probably know you will want to make sure that your boyfriend or someone else is always cleaning out the litter box. I have heard of the type of cat add on your speaking of but don’t have any personal experience with them so hopefully others will chime in. :)
Boyfriend's Allergy and Air Purifiers
Cat allergies

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are custom made heated catios that could be attached to a window but I imagine they are costly such as this one Outdoor Heated Cat House

A non heated catio could still be an option as long as there is roof of some sort to keep snow and rain mostly out and an insulated box of some kind the cat can get out of the cold when needed. I think people with stray and feral cat colonies provide DIY insulated Styrofoam boxes with bedding inside. There are heated outdoor houses you can buy such as these:

And pet safe outdoor heating pads which should still be covered with a folded towel or blanket to prevent burns.