Suggestions Please

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in town and care for a colony in my large backyard that all originated from one stray Mama cat I have not been able to catch for 5 years. I have been diligently working at getting all spayed/neutered, but didn't get 2 in time last year which has resulted in me now caring for 20 cats. I am down to having only 5 left to fix and am praying I get all of them before they procreate some more. I have a neighbor who is very upset about all the cats. Mainly because there is a tom who has been hanging around this summer that I do not consider one of "mine". He fathered 3 litters and I hope he moves on once I finally have everyone fixed. This tom goes into the neighbor's garage and lays on his vintage car. The neighbor leaves his garage door open all day and does not want to close it. He is starting to threaten many things. I love my cats and wish everyone felt the same way but I get that they don't and many people just are not 'cat people'. Here's what I need help with-what can I do with all of these cats that would be humane to them? We have no cat sanctuaries near me. The local Humane Society will not take them and the only shelter is a limited kill shelter-when they get too full. I know taking them to a shelter would be highly stressful for them and they would likely be killed. I have tried to find homes for them (most are at least somewhat friendly) to no avail. I hate the thought of finding a farmer who would take them because most will not feed them but just want mousers. They would be frightened in unfamiliar surroundings and would likely run off and be on their own. Every one of these cats has been born, fed and sheltered by me their entire life. Is there any decent alternative I haven't thought of????

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in town and care for a colony in my large backyard that all originated from one stray Mama cat I have not been able to catch for 5 years. I have been diligently working at getting all spayed/neutered, but didn't get 2 in time last year which has resulted in me now caring for 20 cats. I am down to having only 5 left to fix and am praying I get all of them before they procreate some more. I have a neighbor who is very upset about all the cats. Mainly because there is a tom who has been hanging around this summer that I do not consider one of "mine". He fathered 3 litters and I hope he moves on once I finally have everyone fixed. This tom goes into the neighbor's garage and lays on his vintage car. The neighbor leaves his garage door open all day and does not want to close it. He is starting to threaten many things. I love my cats and wish everyone felt the same way but I get that they don't and many people just are not 'cat people'. Here's what I need help with-what can I do with all of these cats that would be humane to them? We have no cat sanctuaries near me. The local Humane Society will not take them and the only shelter is a limited kill shelter-when they get too full. I know taking them to a shelter would be highly stressful for them and they would likely be killed. I have tried to find homes for them (most are at least somewhat friendly) to no avail. I hate the thought of finding a farmer who would take them because most will not feed them but just want mousers. They would be frightened in unfamiliar surroundings and would likely run off and be on their own. Every one of these cats has been born, fed and sheltered by me their entire life. Is there any decent alternative I haven't thought of????

Oh wow, thank you so very much for investing your time, energy, and resources, into helping that colony of felines.

Can you trap the Tom cat so that dipstick doesn't hurt him? I can't stand people like that jerk and I would report him to the police if he keeps on threatening those cats.

Are there any rescue groups around you? Tell them that this guy is threatening the cats- that should light a fire under their behinds and kick start them into action.

One time, about ten years ago, my mother was going through the same thing- found kittens and mother cat but could not find a suitable home for them. After calling The Humane Society, various vets, and local shelters, she was given a list of people who take cats in. It worked. Sometimes you just have to start out with one contact and see if it leads to others.

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First I want to say I'm SOOOOO glad you found this forum. It's been a godsend for me over and over again - - - because despite having worked for/volunteered for/fostered for shelters for over 30 years (boy that makes me sound old!) I still find myself trying to find answers to questions that most of my "non-rescue" friends don't understand. Or I just need someone to vent to. So I'm glad you found your way here - - - there are so many people here who offer wonderful advice...or just lend an ear or offer a soft shoulder.

Second I have to say that I hope you know how special and amazing what you've accomplished with your furry feral family - - it's amazing. So few people would have taken care of 1...or even 2....but to have cared for 20....you deserve a medal! And TNRing 15 of them is fantastic!!!!

I completely understand that you feel overwhelmed and under appreciated AND worried about your gang. I've truly been in your position - - almost an identical situation. Right down to the angry neighbor(s). So I understand your frustration completely!

I'd start by trying to get the male who's not technically part of your gang. As I always say, no matter how much we wish they would, kitties just don't get property lines. I know dealing with and paying for this tom is the last thing you need - - but it would obviously likely help keep him from hanging around so much (which would hopefully mean your neighbor would ease up), and it would stop your own numbers from growing and growing (and ultimately be the kindest thing for your group). I know how hard it is to find homes - even for the kittens! Plus it sounds that trapping and fixing him will be faster than getting your one female. Obviously getting her at some point is important too - - have you tried other types of traps then whatever you've used on her in the past? Have you also tried other types of "bait" (my most successful is canned mackerel)? I think I'd start trying to get the tom - - and let your neighbor know you're doing so. It really might appease him.

I know you don't have any no-kills in your area - - - and I understand your worry about taking any of them to a shelter anyway since they're so bonded to you. I agree about barns - - - I wouldn't recommend taking them to a barn if that can be helped - - - unless it's a barn situation that understands the long process that's involved in keeping newly transplanted ferals from trying to get back home. That said -- there ARE wonderful people out there that DO understand how that works and are willing to help new transplants understand they have a new home. It's definitely worth talking to any area organizations to see what they know is out there.

I also strongly recommend using social media to its fullest extent - - - I've been amazed time and time again that there ARE kind, wonderful cat people out there willing to give cats that are on the feral side (or at least not very socialized with anyone other than you). I make flyers - - using as compelling photos as possible of the kitty/kitties you want to find homes for, and explaining their situation (that they're basically in danger where they are), and describing the wonderful personalities YOU get to see! I then send the "flyers" out via social media - - and beg anyone and everyone to share them. You can also ask places to put up the flyers - - explaining the situation - - I go to places like pet food stores, my vets and other vets that are near. Even the Humane Society. They're usually happy to put something like that up vs taking in the kitties themselves.

I also suggest talking to people wherever you get your kitties fixed (I'm assuming you utilize a spay/neuter clinic?) and make an appointment to sit down and talk to someone about your situation (you definitely won't be the first person in your situation that they'll have talked to!). They may have resources you're not even aware of.

Obviously I LOVE using this site as much as possible - - but another resource that I do utilize is Alley Cat Allies. Their website is full of information and materials (flyers, etc) about dealing with upset neighbors, etc. Here's one link about dealing with upset neighbors - - but if you poke around the site, you'll find lots of helpful info you can even print out and pass along. I definitely recommend looking over things there. The first link is a link to their general community resources page, and the second is a link to a feral friends network that can help put you in touch with others in your area - - some of whom might know even more resources you can take advantage of.

Alley Cat Allies Resources

Feral Friends Network Connect

Lastly - -don't give up!!!! You're doing an AMAZING thing for all of your furry crew. And you've saved SO many unwanted kittens from being born. Try hard to focus on the "paws-itive" (I couldn't help it!) and keep reaching out here - - keeping us updated!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Does this male belong to someone? If he has a chip you could get in trouble if you try to catch him. If not maybe see if you can catch him and have him castrated. I know some places have discount clinics.

The neighbour situation is difficult though, he does have the right to enjoy his property without cats causing problems or killing birds. But maybe if you suggest some repellent products to him or something like that it might help. It is tricky when you have upset neighbours and both of you might have to give in a bit but hopefully you can find some solution that works for both of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kindness and helpful advise. I also am SOOOOO glad I found this forum! Don't know why I didn't look before. It's so nice to finally talk to others who 'get' how I am about these animals and don't just think I'm nuts for not getting rid of them (by whatever means necessary).
This neighbor is an elderly man who 2 years ago gave the nod to a younger man living the next house over to trap and kill 9 of my colony at that time. He could have told that person NOT to do it and I know he wouldn't have, but he basically gave his blessing and I lost 9 cats to who knows what horrors. I still have trouble thinking about it. Luckily, the man who trapped them got evicted and has moved. I called the Humane Officer who basically told me he couldn't do anything because I couldn't PROVE he killed them and he could actually even charge ME because we have a city ordinance in which I could be fined $150 per incident when I allow a cat to go onto another's property. Luckily my neighbor apparently does not know this, but I live in fear he will discover it.
I do intend to try to trap the tom. I hate to do it, but I am considering taking him to a shelter because he also fights with my cats. At least 3 have gotten infections from bites. I will give him a chance first to see if neutering him stops that behavior. I just recently started using live traps. I caught most in regular carriers. Traps are definitely easier. I just hate the idea of them!
Unfortunately, I think my neighbor wants no less than to have ALL of the outside cats GONE. I'm trying to plan ahead just in case the police show up at my door and basically force me to do so. I guess there may be no other choices than trying to find a kind farmer who will feed his barn cats or taking them to a shelter. Moving to the country is not an option for me.
I will definitely reach out to other organizations and social media (not really my thing, but I'll try it) to see if I can rehome some of them. I saw one poster actually rehomed 32 cats! AMAZING! Thank you all for your support!!!! I can't say that enough.
BTW-I want to spread the word about SpayUSA for anyone who hasn't heard of them. They have a spay/neuter assistance program. You apply online and if chosen, they will pay $25 toward the spay/neuter of feral cats-up to 10 I think. They pay it directly to wherever you have it done. This has been a godsend for me. I-and my family members-have gotten assistance a few times through them.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
You are these cats' hero. Thank you for doing everything you can for these cats. Bless your heart.

Can't your neighbor put on a car cover for his vintage since it is too precious to him?

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's what I think...or keep his garage door closed. He feels like j
he's lived there for 50 years and shouldn't have to do that. I get it to some extent, but these are just CATS for gosh sakes! They aren't doing any actual DAMAGE to anything.
I do have one thing over him that's my saving grace so far. His driveway butts RIGHT against my property and I've threatened to put a fence up right on my property line. He would HATE that. It would make it harder for him to get his cars out of his garage.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing you have to concentrate on is getting EVERY one of the cats neutered and spayed. As you know 20 can soon turn into 50. Try to find a farm for the tom if he is homeless, many farmers know how to keep them enclosed for a while. It is better than a sure death sentence at a shelter. I know how difficult it is to catch and neuter them, but it has to be done. They will keep other cats from moving in. It costs a lot but so does all that extra food for years. You will be blessed for caring for them....All the luck!

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm trying to catch him before the 3 known females (2 five month olds are unknown) go into heat again. I found a place that will fix ferals for $28. that includes a rabies shot, flea treatment and ear tipping. Phenomenal!

So, the next thing I need suggestions on-tips on how to catch particular cats when there are 15 others already fixed in the yard. It is exhausting trying to keep those 15 away from the trap...and not scare off the one I WANT to go in. A few I can pick up and put in my garage, but not all of them. And the ones I want to catch won't go in my garage, so luring them in there and putting a trap there won't work either. It's getting harder now that I'm down to 5-well, 6 with this tom. Ideas?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the tip on Spay USA! I'll check them out. Our clinic does spays and neuters of trapped cats that they ear tip for around $25 (if you include a rabies shot, which we always do). You might ask - I know ours also has a special rate for various zip codes - - some zip codes they do for free!!!!!! It's worth asking!

I do truly empathize with you. We had a neighbor who, as we were working hard to get every cat in the neighborhood fixed, raised his complaining level (and that's the nicest word I can use) to a point that it worked the neighborhood into an almost political-like "split" - - - you were either "a crazy cat lover bent on destroying all that was good and right in the world" or you were someone "normal." We arranged to have a neighborhood meeting about the kitties, trying to inform rather than upset (which I know doesn't always work, but I try!). We printed out info from Alley Cat Allies and they sent me brochures etc (the group I posted the link to above), and we had a representative from the local spay/neuter clinic there. And despite being public speaking phobic, I actually spoke about TNR, and how the LAST thing any of us wanted was more kittens - - quite the opposite! We were thrilled that it really changed almost everyone's mind about what we were doing. But a week later a neighbor poisoned many of the cats in the colony with anti-freeze. It was heart breaking. The next day we brought one of the colony that we'd been socializing- she had CH so her colony shunned her (she looks like she has scotch tape on her back feet when she walks, and her skinny little behind wiggles like she's been on a bit of a bender). We felt since we'd been socializing her that she was particularly likely to go toward someone offering anti-freeze-filled treats (isn't that just awful?!?! I always think I can't hear another way for someone to be cruel to animals). We weren't sure she was ready to come in - - and we really didn't have the money to add to our indoor crew, but we felt like saving even one needed to happen. So Flick (named for a little white heart-shaped "flick" on her chest) came in. Now she's the lap-cat-love of our lives (and despite having had many MANY cats over the years, I've never had a lap cat before - amazing that this little feral was the first!). I did put 2 pics below - - she's too cute not to (sorry to all who've seen pics of her over and over). The first one's from right after she came in, the second is from last year.

I just realized I've spent so much time on the stuff above that you didn't need to know that I'm out of time to type what actually answers your questions! Hopefully at least my story makes you feel better that you're not alone - - in your love for your kitties OR your frustration with your neighbor OR how far you're willing to go to save your furry family. Try to remember, when it feels so dark and upsetting, that saving even one is a victory. And you've saved many! You're a fierce warrior for your group - - - be proud of that!!!!!!!

And do look around the Alley Cat Allies site - - they do have suggestions and materials for situations just like yours (and ours). And obviously - keep coming here- - - we're all here for you!

(tonight I'll type a few tips I've got on "trapping who you want" - - although it isn't easy - - but what great things are?)

Cat20mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support kittychick! Your Flick looks very much like my Dusty. I just don't understand people harming or killing cats! When the neighbor killed 9 of mine, I brought the last 2 inside to save them.
Please do let me know of any tips you have to catch particular cats.
Cross your fingers and say a prayer for me that I catch the last 6 very soon!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Does this male belong to someone? If he has a chip you could get in trouble if you try to catch him. If not maybe see if you can catch him and have him castrated. I know some places have discount clinics.

The neighbour situation is difficult though, he does have the right to enjoy his property without cats causing problems or killing birds. But maybe if you suggest some repellent products to him or something like that it might help. It is tricky when you have upset neighbours and both of you might have to give in a bit but hopefully you can find some solution that works for both of you.
Thank you all for your kindness and helpful advise. I also am SOOOOO glad I found this forum! Don't know why I didn't look before. It's so nice to finally talk to others who 'get' how I am about these animals and don't just think I'm nuts for not getting rid of them (by whatever means necessary).
This neighbor is an elderly man who 2 years ago gave the nod to a younger man living the next house over to trap and kill 9 of my colony at that time. He could have told that person NOT to do it and I know he wouldn't have, but he basically gave his blessing and I lost 9 cats to who knows what horrors. I still have trouble thinking about it. Luckily, the man who trapped them got evicted and has moved. I called the Humane Officer who basically told me he couldn't do anything because I couldn't PROVE he killed them and he could actually even charge ME because we have a city ordinance in which I could be fined $150 per incident when I allow a cat to go onto another's property. Luckily my neighbor apparently does not know this, but I live in fear he will discover it.
I do intend to try to trap the tom. I hate to do it, but I am considering taking him to a shelter because he also fights with my cats. At least 3 have gotten infections from bites. I will give him a chance first to see if neutering him stops that behavior. I just recently started using live traps. I caught most in regular carriers. Traps are definitely easier. I just hate the idea of them!
Unfortunately, I think my neighbor wants no less than to have ALL of the outside cats GONE. I'm trying to plan ahead just in case the police show up at my door and basically force me to do so. I guess there may be no other choices than trying to find a kind farmer who will feed his barn cats or taking them to a shelter. Moving to the country is not an option for me.
I will definitely reach out to other organizations and social media (not really my thing, but I'll try it) to see if I can rehome some of them. I saw one poster actually rehomed 32 cats! AMAZING! Thank you all for your support!!!! I can't say that enough.
BTW-I want to spread the word about SpayUSA for anyone who hasn't heard of them. They have a spay/neuter assistance program. You apply online and if chosen, they will pay $25 toward the spay/neuter of feral cats-up to 10 I think. They pay it directly to wherever you have it done. This has been a godsend for me. I-and my family members-have gotten assistance a few times through them.

Get animal control involved. Even if what you are doing may be illegal, what he is doing is definitely illegal. It is animal abuse and that is a felony in all fifty states.

Years ago in my area a woman was dead set on getting rid of the stray cats. She borrowed some traps from the animals control person at the time to catch the cats. She never hurt them but she did take them way out in the country to dump them, and when the animal control officer caught wind of that he jumped all over her and took his traps back.

Why he can't close his garage door is beyond me, I guess he wants everyone that walks by to 'ooh and aah' over his vintage car.

Yes please trap the tom, you will be saving his life and he may be a good candidate for the Barn Cat program.