Suggestions Please On Integrating 2 Groups Of Indoor Strays/ferals.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over the past 7 years of trapping I have caught some strays and for one reason or another have not been able to release some feral kittens. I therefore have 2 groups of cats situated in two different parts of house.

One group of 10 are on first floor which is an above ground finished basement. They have outdoor access to a large dog kennel. The second group of 10 are in master bedroom suite on main floor with a deck without a stairway so they can't get out. At least 3 have persisted in their feral ways and won't allow me to pick them up, barely letting me pet them.

There are guest rooms on 3rd floor where dear hubby and I sleep and I want our master bedroom back.

What is best way to get main floor bedroom cats to first floor, move them all at once or little by little over a period of days?

The bedroom door and door to downstairs are adjacent so I've left the doors open to encourage mixing but each group prefers to remain in place. What to do?

Thanks for any recommendations.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if you could keep them separate for a little while and you move a few of the more easy going one's into the other group so they get to know those ones. So it would be a few at a time rather than all at once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input.

That is what I have started but shortly after some go down I hear them meowing at top of stairs. The 3 somewhat feral kittens from 1 1/2 years ago won't even leave the master bedroom. I will retrap them and bring downstairs once I get the others downstairs.

To complicate things somewhat, I have a stray, Squiggy, that lives in family room who hates every cat. We have 2 big dogs that he will stand his ground to when they see him through the glass doors. I have put curtains up to block view but sometimes they become aware of each other. He was most likely dumped because of his cranky personality, he has attacked my legs with almost murderous intent numerous times when I walk by and he draws blood.

DH is not a cat person and would like me to redump him but I just couldn't do that. Actually, he would love to see most of the cats go, he has been amazingly tolerant, even our vet says he is a saint!

DH and I are leaving next Wed for 2 weeks and I want to get them all together for the cat sitter. I shall just have to be tough and once any upstairs cat is downstairs I won't let them back up. Then I have to figure out where to put the monstrous Squiggy.

Thanks again for sharing your opinion Surya.

Karen

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your herd of cats. Thank you for helping them. :)