Suggestions On Good Dry And Wet Cat Food

brittany.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wanting to switch up on what I currently feed my cats.

They are currently eating 9lives dry. I also feed them friskies wet canned food, but definitely want to switch from that after seeing a Facebook group full of sad stories.

I have 3 cats. I don't mind paying a little more for food, but would also not like to break the bank.

What do your fur babes eat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Actually, friskies canned just helped save my boy's life :)

More generally speaking, he is one of those cats who imprinted on fancy feast and friskies as a kitten. I tried for three years to get him to switch to something else without a lot of luck.

However, I do have Blue Wilderness, Merrick Backcountry and Natural Balance in the pantry that both he and I feel good about ;)

Last edited:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Some good economy brands that I feed (we are on a one income household income at the moment) are:

Fancy Feast
Tiny Tiger (from chewy-dot-com)
Abound/4Health (from Kroger and Tractor Supply, respectively- same formula)
Crave
Sheba

Everything but the Tiny Tiger (which is essentially a cheaper Fancy Feast) can be found in Walmart/Target/what have you. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittany.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the suggestions!

My cats enjoy friskies cat food, especially the gravy ones! However, I recently saw a post on facebook where a lady fed her cats friskies and her cat ended up getting very sick and dying After doing a little research it has happened to multiple cats. Friskies/purina aren't making this known at the time, so I am wanting to stay away from them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittany.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd be cautious of what is posted on FB. A lot of times people don't tell the whole story.
That is true. I just read a lot on the 'do you have purina friskies cat food complaints?' page on FB and it freaked me out. I figured it would be best to come here and ask on what you all recommend for food. :)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats enjoy friskies cat food, especially the gravy ones! However, I recently saw a post on facebook where a lady fed her cats friskies and her cat ended up getting very sick and dying After doing a little research it has happened to multiple cats. Friskies/purina aren't making this known at the time, so I am wanting to stay away from them.
I wonder if the person feeding her cat Friskies was feeding wet or dry. Friskies dry is a pretty terrible food, I have one cat that can't even stomach it. Friskies wet on the other hand, specifically the pates, aren't actually that bad. I feed my cats NutraSource dry and Friskies pates. (Not saying it's the best option, just it's the best I can afford with 10 cats, and is available in town).

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Remember too that without a necropsy (or even with!) it is really hard to determine if food is cause of death. Cats are really good at hiding sickness, so often people erroneously attribute an illness to food when it is not related. Friskies was the only food my cancer kitty could eat at the end and I'm thankful it gave me another 6 months with her that I may not have had otherwise :)

For wet, I feed whatever is on sale that my cat likes lol. Tiny Tiger, American Journey, Soulistic, Weruva, and Sheba mostly.

For dry food, I get more picky. I feed Wysong Epigen 90, but also like Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein, and Young Again. I go through a lot less dry food with the Wysong because it's high protein, moderate fat, and low carb which means they can eat less to feel full. So even though the price per lb seems high, I actually spend less on dry food than I used to!

Other dry foods I would consider if needed are American Journey, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Tiki Cat Carnivore.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is true. I just read a lot on the 'do you have purina friskies cat food complaints?' page on FB and it freaked me out.
This is why I'm not on FB :headshake: There are plenty of people out there who will just post "OMG look at what this did to my pet! Do not buy this horrible death product! " stuff because they're bored, are a troll, etc. Even on cat-specific FB groups, you'll find those kind of people.

Anyways, try a few different brands of foods to see what your cat likes. I personally feed commercial raw cat food.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine eat Pate variety only. The brands feed are Fancy Feast, Aldi brand cat food called Heart to Tail il and a brand from Petvalu called Health Diet and just started to feed a brand called Paws Happy Life, they do get Orijen dry food in a treatt ball that they bat around to keep them busy, but that is just a snack for them,they have never had dry food for a meal.My point is don t break your budget feeding and don't equate expensive food with quality,Pet food manufacturers are slick when it comes to marketing . Hope this helps you

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I 100% get what you are saying. However, aide from raising your own meat animals for your cats, you will never be able to control all the ingredients. :( Every major corporation (Purina, Mars, etc.) has had some sort of bad rap, and I'm not saying that they are perfect by any means. You just have to take that risk, as sad as it is, you know?