Suggestions? Messes from senior cat urinating outside the litterbox...

Allyial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat is going on 12, has arthritis and has kidney failure. Over the years, he’s just gotten to the point where he doesn’t want to urinate inside the litterbox but will instead go directly outside of it. Which is fine, most of the time. I put puppy training pads around the litterbox and he knows to use them.

Now, I don’t use a normal litterbox, I have a 24”x36” container with 3” tall sides that I use instead because he originally wasn’t refusing to use the litterbox, he was just missing. But space apparently wasn’t the issue. So getting a larger container won’t make a difference.

My problem is this: his urine still sometimes finds its way under the pads. I think it’s from where he’s trying to cover up the pads and it’s just making a mess. He doesn’t urinate anywhere else in the house, he knows to at least go over to the litterbox. If it wasn’t for his urine creeping under the pads, I’d have no issues. But at this point I’m afraid he’s going to ruin my floor and I just don’t know what to do. I clean this mess twice a day and am at my witt’s end. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know those large plastic things that you put under your rolling desk chair to protect your floor? I'd think that one of those under the pads would provide complete protection for your floor? Looks like 36 x 48 is the standard size. Should be big enough? Worst case you'd need to get two I suppose. Amazon.com : rolling chair floor mat A regular painters tarp would be cheaper but could cause some issues even if you tape it down.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I think the plastic floor mat idea is perfect for what you're looking for. Good suggestion, A ArtNJ . :goldstar:

I did want to ask, A Allyial , if you've ever tried putting out a 2nd litter box? Sometimes cats get quirky and want to pee in a different litter box from where they poop. Just a thought. You could also try using Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™ to see if that might encourage him to use the litter box to pee.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you try the rolling chair mat and your cat doesn't like the feel of it, buy some cheap towels that are big enough to cover the mat to see if that helps. You'll still need to wash the towels, but better than him either avoiding the mat or you having to worry about your floors underneath.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I think the plastic floor mat idea is perfect for what you're looking for. Good suggestion, A ArtNJ . :goldstar:

I did want to ask, A Allyial , if you've ever tried putting out a 2nd litter box? Sometimes cats get quirky and want to pee in a different litter box from where they poop. Just a thought. You could also try using Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™ to see if that might encourage him to use the litter box to pee.
I have tried a 2nd litterbox, both next to his current one and in a different room, but we got the same results. I’ll check out this litter though, I’ve never heard of it!

Allyial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you try the rolling chair mat and your cat doesn't like the feel of it, buy some cheap towels that are big enough to cover the mat to see if that helps. You'll still need to wash the towels, but better than him either avoiding the mat or you having to worry about your floors underneath.
This is a good idea! I’m ordering the mat today so we’ll see how it goes! :)

Allyial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! Just wanted to update. I ran out and got the Dr. Elsey’s Attract Cat litter last night since it was at my local PetSmart. Nearly 24 hours later and he has used the litterbox every time! I’m not sure how long he will continue this trend, but nearly two years of dealing with this and he’s suddenly using the litterbox! I can not believe I’d never heard of this stuff before, thank you!! I’m sill going to use the chair mats under his litterbox for extra protection but let’s hope I don’t need them. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's amazing! Fingers crossed it keeps working. :crossfingers: